Bounty sues Brawny

Top Shelf

The quicker picker-upper is taking on a brawny lumberjack in a federal lawsuit over paper-towel patterns. Cincinnati-based Procter & Gamble Co., the creator of Bounty paper towels, has sued rival Georgia-Pacific, alleging that the Atlanta-based company infringed on its trademark by using a "bowtie" pattern on its Brawny paper towels.

During a hearing in U.S. District Court in Columbus yesterday, P&G attorneys sought to persuade Judge Gregory L. Frost to issue a preliminary injunction, preventing Georgia Pacific from selling Brawny until the design issue is settled at trial. A ruling could come as soon as today.

The federal lawsuit, filed May 5, says the bowtie design on Brawny paper towels is too similar to the design embossed on Bounty ExtraSoft towels. P&G asks for unspecified damages and for Brawny to stop using the bowtie design.

P&G argued that its bowtie design serves to identify its extra-soft towels, which have generated more than $100 million in sales since the product was launched in February 2008. P&G contends that the similar paper towel patterns could confuse consumers and cause them to purchase Brawny paper towels thinking they were instead Bounty towels.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/busin...8K.html?sid=101

brawny_pattern.jpg_07-09-09_A11_27EDVNR.jpg

Brawny

bounty_vs_brawny_07-09-09_A11_27EDVMD.jpg

Bounty

IeHVybT.png

Because I know when I buy paper towels I totally ignore the giant colorful label on the front and solely go by the pattern to know what brand I'm buying...

While they're at it, why don't they sue Georgia-Pacific for selling another brand of paper towel that starts with "B?"

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Because I know when I buy paper towels I totally ignore the giant colorful label on the front and solely go by the pattern to know what brand I'm buying...

While they're at it, why don't they sue Georgia-Pacific for selling another brand of paper towel that starts with "B?"

Seriously. I never even knew the patterns served a purpose of identifying different types of paper towels. I honestly don't think ANYBODY knows that, other than the guys who work there. So stupid.

If they really want to solve this they should get a roll of bounty and a roll of brawny and the winner will be the one who's towel soaks up their own bull:censored: the fastest.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

P&G argued that its bowtie design serves to identify its extra-soft towels, which have generated more than $100 million in sales since the product was launched in February 2008. P&G contends that the similar paper towel patterns could confuse consumers and cause them to purchase Brawny paper towels thinking they were instead Bounty towels.

When I see paper towel at the store I usually look at the brand not the way the designs on the paper towel look. How could the design cause them to purchase a different brand if the paper towel is covered up in the wrapping to begin with also.

detsig.png

It's not even the same pattern. The Bounty pattern is clearly made of only 'bowties' while the Brawny towels contain bulged-out squares and sucked-in squares that happen to form 'bowties' in their negative spaces, or vice versa. Bottom line, though, is when Bounty introduced these towels in 2008, did they trademark this design? The article fails to address this most important fact. Chalk it up to great jounalism, I guess.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Uhh, so Brawny is the one with Jeff Foxworthy on the wrapper, right?

His name is Chad Sexington.

Thats Burly towels that has that mega man with the mustache... lol

Next they will be suing the Shamwow because it is too damn absorbent!

and billy mays should have beat vince over the head with his Zorbess

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Archived