Best, most fitting team nicknames

hawk36

...so what do we call the team now that it gives its players to other teams???

Let's call them...the Pittsburgh Philanthropists.

But isn't a Philanthropist often times rich? If so, that doesn't work, because the Pirates are far from rich. Or at least that's the excuse the ownership gives out.

Not 100% sure about this, but I think that even if you're just someone who organizes philanthropic activities, like fund raising drives, you are considered a philanthropist. It's possible to make a living as a philanthropist, by taking a legal cut from the amounts raised.

Fun Fact:

In 1998, BBTV was shown on KDKA Pittsburgh, handing an oversized check to one of the heads of Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, after leading a philanthropic campaign that raised >16k for the "Free Care Fund". He was honored (along with several other top doners and "philanthropists") at the Duquesne Club in 1999 for this, and his photo was shown in the Indiana Gazette with the caption calling him "local philanthropist", despite only being part of 3 fund-raising campaigns in his life (leading one.)

EDIT:

"Local Philanthropist BBTV" in the Duquesne Club after receiving his award. BBTV is in MUCH better shape now... trust me.

Duquesne.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Other teams:

Houston Astros and Rockets - NASA's Johnson Control Center is located there

That's great, except the Rockets were originally in San Diego. I believe there was a rocket plant out there at the time.

Seattle Mariners- paying homage to the Seattle Pilots, a former Seattle MLB franchise

Not bloody likely. Who wants to pay homage to that trainwreck?

Florida Panthers- the once endangered species of the Everglades

They aren't endangered anymore? I guess that means they are extinct, considering there were only a few dozen left when the team was formed.

Miami Heat - the herendous climate of southern Florida, enough said

Horrendous heat? Miami's all-time high for this date is only 95. It rarely reaches 100 in Miami. I'll wager that Fargo sees more 100 degree days on average.

Philadelphia 76ers- the Declaration of Independence was signed in Philly back in 1776, and for the Bicentennial in 1976 around the time when the team was formed.

The Sixers moved from Syracuse in 1963.

Orange, Cornhuskers, Cowboys... all fitting, yes, but unique, no. With tons of orange groves, many towns in Southern California or Florida could be the Orange. Likewise anywhere that grows corn or has a tie to the old west or ranches, etc. could be Cornhuskers or Cowboys.

Aside from a team being, say, the San Diego San Diegans, is there any nickname that could only be in one specific town? Does it exist?

I'd say that Knickerbockers is pretty much exclusive to the NYC area.

Well I don't think "Cleveland Texans", "Chicago Phillies" would work, but that's just me...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Random - Worst Fit and Sound

Tulsa Golden Hurricane

Here's the remnants of Erin, that wasn't even a hurricane several days earlier when it made landfall..

erin_okc.gif

Yes, that storm has an eye... it looked better a few hours earlier...

http://www.thedailygreen.com/cm/thedailygr...ane-erin-lg.jpg

Seeing that makes me wanna listen to this on my local on the 8's right now

:P

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Miami Heat - the herendous climate of southern Florida, enough said

Horrendous heat? Miami's all-time high for this date is only 95. It rarely reaches 100 in Miami. I'll wager that Fargo sees more 100 degree days on average.

Familiar with the term "heat index"? That's where you take what the mercury tells you...and factor in that other piece of the equation that REALLY makes it sticky: humidity.

Don't put too much stock in the actual number. If you ain't yet had the pleasure of enjoying a Florida summer, you should try it sometime. Just be sure to bring PLENTY of water...cuz you gon sweat out about half of what you drink, if not more. Take it from someone who's spent 19 of 27 summers in that fine state. (Not to mention someone who's done had to deal with the dry roast heat of the Middle East...thrice over...that mess be hurtin your feelings, yo.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Salt Lake Bees (PCL)--Utah is the Beehive State (though, going by that, Utah Bees would be better)

Ontario Reign (ECHL)--Ontario is in California's Inland Empire

Baltimore Orioles--There is a bird by that name, right?

New England Patriots--Much of the Revolutionary War took place in New England

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim--LA is the City of Angels (though OC doesn't want to be) :P

Minnesota Twins--Twin Cities. Get it?

San Francisco 49ers--Gold Rush of 1849

Rhode Island Reds (Minor-league hockey, don't know league)--One of the best play on words

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Was that really necessary, taj?

Yes Kevin. Its necessary when I post it.

I've been here long enough to know tact.

It was necessary :)

Hey, now someone accomplished something in this thread.

Also, I propose that BringBackTheVet be referred to as "local philanthropist BringBackTheVet" at all times.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

A few minor league names from the past:

Flint Generals--A nod to General Motors

Port Huron Flags--Due to Port Huron being on the US-Canadian border

Saginaw Lumber Kings--Honoring the Saginaw Valley's logging past

Detroit Vipers--IIRC, the team was named after the Dodge Viper (makes sense, right?)

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

I say the best and perfect fitting is the Manitoba Moose

I know it was originally from Minnesota..But, Manitoba sound better and there are Moose in that province.

And... Orlando Solar Bears (most creative and best mascot ever, I wish they are still around, sniff..) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_Solar_Bears Chris need to add this team on the site!

For others:

Jacksonville Jaguars (its the city's nickname, tons of jags statue and murals in downtown Jax)

Orlando Magic

Florida Marlins

Miami Hurricanes (way better than the Carolina Hurricanes)

Vancouver Canucks

Florida Gators

Florida States Seminoles

Phoenix Suns

Baltimore Ravens

New England Patriots

Denver Broncos

Vancouver Grizzles (before the ugly Memphis Grumpy Care Bear!)

Seattle Seahawks

Texas Rangers

Hartford Whalers

Montréal Canadiens

Colorado Avalanche

Washington Capitals

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Miami Dolphins

Arizona Diamondbacks

Anaheim Mighty Ducks (badass and need to comeback!)

The worst:

LA Lakers

Las Vegas Wranglers (I understand that this is Calgary Flames' farm team and make sense since Las Vegas have the National Rodeo Championships annually during the winter and Calgary Stampede in the summer.. But, you can't put two different "sports" into one "sport." Rodeo and Hockey do not mix...)

Las Vegas 51s

UNLV Rebels

Las Vegas 51s is just as fitting if not more than half the crap you posted.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

One that I haven't seen posted yet (and even if it has, I'm not going back through five pages to find out) is the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Now true, "Lightning" can be a seriously generic nickname (especially if a team in the middle of Nebraska can make a claim to use it as a nickname), but, the Tampa Bay area is (or at least was) the lightning strike capital of the world. So, viewed in that context, I think it would make the grade as one of the "best-fitting, though probably not one of the best names out there.

Now, having said that, I'd like to see all who've posted these rdiiculously long lists of team names actually come up with a legitimate case for why it would be one of the "best, most fitting" nicknames.

GO...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Rhode Island Reds (Minor-league hockey, don't know league)--One of the best play on words

regarding the Reds, they use to be in the AHL, and the Rhode Island Red is the state bird (rooster, chicken)

Minnesota twins (st.paul - minneapolis, twin cities)

No one's mentioned the South Carolina Gamecocks. :(

The South Carolina Gamecocks were named after Thomas Sumter, a South Carolinian Revolutionary War hero and Congressman, who earned the title 'Gamecock' after a British General commented that he "fought like a gamecock."

barca.png

Albany Patroons

A patroon was a landholder with manorial rights to large tracts of land in the 17th century Dutch colony of New Netherland in North America (notably along the Hudson River in New York). The largest was Rensselaerwyck, which included what's now the city of Albany.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Archived