Best, most fitting team nicknames

hawk36

One that I haven't seen posted yet (and even if it has, I'm not going back through five pages to find out) is the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Now true, "Lightning" can be a seriously generic nickname (especially if a team in the middle of Nebraska can make a claim to use it as a nickname), but, the Tampa Bay area is (or at least was) the lightning strike capital of the world. So, viewed in that context, I think it would make the grade as one of the "best-fitting, though probably not one of the best names out there.

Now, having said that, I'd like to see all who've posted these rdiiculously long lists of team names actually come up with a legitimate case for why it would be one of the "best, most fitting" nicknames.

GO...

Tampa is the lightning strike capital of the world cause the old people (and the lightning players) dont know when to stop golfing!!!!!

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hartford Whalers

Their outstanding logo aside, the Hartford Whalers didn't sport anything approaching a "fitting" nickname for their locale.

Perhaps, if the franchise had operated out of a coastal community such as New London or Stonington and been dubbed the Connecticut Whalers, the nickname would have been fitting. As it is, Hartford is located 30-some-odd miles from Long Island Sound. Further, the Connecticut River, on which the city sits, has never been navigable by large ships such as whaling vessels. Finally, the City of Hartford never had any great connection to the whaling industry; it has historically been a center of manufacturing, publishing and insurance.

adding:

Washington Federals

Calgary Stampede

Atlanta Thrashers

Houston Oilers

Don't you mean the Calgary Stampeders?

I mentioned them not long ago--but good to have more mentions.

So no problems.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Hartford Whalers

Their outstanding logo aside, the Hartford Whalers didn't sport anything approaching a "fitting" nickname for their locale.

Perhaps, if the franchise had operated out of a coastal community such as New London or Stonington and been dubbed the Connecticut Whalers, the nickname would have been fitting. As it is, Hartford is located 30-some-odd miles from Long Island Sound. Further, the Connecticut River, on which the city sits, has never been navigable by large ships such as whaling vessels. Finally, the City of Hartford never had any great connection to the whaling industry; it has historically been a center of manufacturing, publishing and insurance.

The Whalers started in Boston as the New England Whalers in the WHA. They just brought the name with them.

girardi-1.png

lyip4wfi.pngzc9hmqq6.png

Thanks KaTo

Archived