Los Angeles Clippers [uniform design up]

Conrad.

So in the Clips logo thread in the Sports Logos section ppl mentioned that the San Diego logo was close to being a legit Clips logo. I figure, why not try to make it so. I went about trying to bring that logo into modern times (much like my 6ers project i suppose). Anyway, I curved and added dimension to the sails to give the logo some 3d space (and therein added a 4th color to the scheme), and I also used the great wordmark they have now (by far the best thing about their current identity). I also can't decide a couple things...whether to keep the sun (or make a bball reference in the sky-area) and also how to treat the arrangement of the sails (either all touching the base of the circle, or where you can see the bottom of 2 of the sails, like the original logo) too much rambling from me though, here's 4 ideas for the primary I have nailed down:

Clips_4ideas.png

which works the best? and also, how do the colors look?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the bottom right one. You know what I think would be cool? What if you added some slightly curved masts behind the sails? That way it wouldn't look like sails floating in space. The curves would make the design dynamic. You could also turn the sun into a basketball.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Top right, I don't like how the sails are floating in the bottom ones.

To be honest, I really don't think they look like sails with the changes you've made (adding the gray thing). It looks like the Sydney opera house to me, since you've kind of made it 3D, with the sails caving in (the gray).

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

1. It does look like the Sydney Opera house, but that's OK. It's a little abstract, but I can still buy that they're sails.

2. The top left is the one to go with, due to the fact that the "fins" aren't immediately recognizable as sails, I think having the "sun" in there helps it out a lot.

3. I think the colors are spot on. That "orange" looks great with the silver / gray. Honestly, I think they are "soft" colors for a sports team, but there is historical precedent for them to be in those colors, so I say go with it.

4. The integration of the current wordmark into the rest of the design works really well.

One of your better efforts. Good work by you.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I really like it. I've always enjoyed that logo from the past, and you did a great job reviving it. And you kept the abstraction, which I like. Personally, I like the two with the sun, but I would try to give a hint of a boat hull, just to identify it as a ship, and not the Opera House like some could mistake it for.

It may just be my monitor...but I think you could stand to darken the blue (something close to the pacific blue the Chargers used back in the '60s--fitting, for a team that used to be in San Diego--and brighten up the orange. Not quite to Florida Gators proportions, but right now the orange looks darker than the blue.

And if my opinion matters, I say go with the bottom right.

Either way it goes, I guess I can now scrap my sketches for an update to this logo, seeing as to how it was virtually similar to this--only yours is much better executed. ^_^

When are the uniforms coming?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'd say the top left.

It's a nod to the old logo, with a slightly modernized design and you incorporated their current script. Great job.

I wouldn't use the basketball ones, only because that's what they have right now. And if they are going to do a redesign, they might want to distance themselves from the Lakers-like logo they have now with the basketball in the background.

Great job on these.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

wow, thanks for all the response everyone...i agree with the comments about having the sun in the logo, b/c it makes the sails easier to read. With that in mind, I'm still torn between the two 'sun' logos. I do think the top left looks more "Sydney Opera", but as my australian friend explained to me, the Opera house was created to look like sails, so the sails had that shape before the opera house did. Anywho, to perhaps distance the "sydney" idea, I created this version of the primary with squared sails (which is actually how an old clipper ship looks):

clipv2.png

also, did a bit of color adjustment to make the colors a bit brighter...so is this a better illustration? do the bottom of the sails need to be seen? and better colors? or do i just need to go with one of the previous logos i posted? thanks again for taking a look.

Colors are better, but on the sails I'd lighten the gray. It seems too dark for me, and it's throwing the sails off.

I don't know what you could put on the sail to make them resemble sails more... Here's an old San Diego Sails logo: http://www.remembertheaba.com/ABALogos/NewSailsLogo.gif maybe try adding more curve to the sails. I think lightening the gray would definitely help though.

Archived