Padre ponderings?

BawlmerOreos

I liked the early 90s All-Star Game era unis, but they were a little common. The cap with orange, Navy and white was pretty boss.

I'd agree with those who said the current scheme is OK, but I'm not a big fan of the "sand " road color at all. change it to grey or do what the 80s did and make the road uniform a white pant with the blue jersey and all is well. But keep the Friar, whatever you do.

That's not gonna work. In these days of the ugly softball jersey as a league wide thing, half the teams they'll be playing will be wearing a blue jersey over white pants at home.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When we discussed this topic a couple of months ago, BallWonk and I came up with this potential color scheme:

SanDiegoPadres_PF2_0000_SOL_SRGB.png

This is slightly different than the first proposal, but IMO - is modern, yet points to the past as well.

Would you and BallWonk mind if I made a concept with these colors?

mind if I made a concept with these colors?

I'd love to see it.

If done right -- and just swapping brown for navy in the current scheme won't get the color balances right -- a brown and light blue Padres color scheme could have a very coastal Pacific vibe, even more than the Padres current beachy uniforms. You could get a real on-the-patio-at-Trader-Vic's thing going on with the colors Werx offers, which would be awesome.

20082614447.png

Maroon and silver or grey. It would look great. It's quite a departure for the Padres but what the hell? If you're going to overhaul your look then why not give it a go?

On the subject of returning to brown and yellow... I am as old school as they come around here but even I don't think a full time move to those old disasters is a good idea.

BB52Big.jpg

The 69 unis are a great set and I'd love to see them just simply adopt those as the new uniforms.

Same here, and I would love to see the Astros do the same. The late 60s - early 70s Padres, Pirates, and Astros were great uniforms! Colorful but not gaudy. Unfortunately, the Pirates jumped the gun with the double knit pullovers and elastic waistbands, but still...

nl_1970_sandiego_01.gifnl_1971_houston_01.gifnl_1971_pittsburgh_01.gif

Why do I get the feeling that the only people who advocate the return of these uniforms are the ones that wouldn't have to see them for 162 games a year. I would hate to see the Astros return to an orange-dominated color scheme. It was ugly 40 years ago and it's ugly now. As for the Padres, nostalgia is one thing, but let's be real here. Brown is an ugly color. There is a reason no one else wears it. Leave the Brown Padres in the past with all-powder road uniforms and elastic waistbands.

Slightly off-topic, but I am working on a DIY project to make an Astros uniform with the current font set in the old colors (Navy with orange and cream accents). I'll eventually post once I get it worked out.

Being an Astros fan, I saw the Astros uniforms all the time back in the day, and I see the current ones all the time now. I didn't want a change in 1993 (or 1987, for that matter, when they dropped the rainbow guts), and I'd love to see them go back to navy blue and orange, if not the rainbow stripes. Red and black are not the Astros. And I wouldn't mind the Astros in orange caps. I have one and I like it a lot, much better than the black and red that represents the owner's trucking company (forget that baloney about black and red being adopted because it fits the theme of the ballpark).

There's nothing wrong with their current look. There's nothing great about it either. It's plain, and just uninspiring all around.

I'm all for the return of brown and yellow.

I have to agree. The home and alternates aren't bad, but aren't great either. I've never liked the away script, it just looks to weird to me.

Brown would certainly be a good and unique choice for the Padres. An updated version of the brown and yellow would look really good IMO (The old ones definitely look straight out of the 70s).

Ahh, nostalgia. The killer of nice, clean looks from Milwaukee to San Diego.

Nah. It's selling out a team's visual identity for a couple dollars that killed the nice clean looks in Milwaukee and San Diego. :P

"Hey, fans! Remember the '70s, when nobody in this town gave a flying crap about the Padres, and the team damn near moved to Washington? Well, those days are back!"

Outside of the home plate logo, I see no reason to screw with what the Padres are wearing now, especially in favor of some half-assed modern/retro hybrid. Put the friar on the sleeves of the current home and road jerseys - done.

Not just that sodboys but when I was living in San Diego during the early 90s they average like 8600 per games.

My favorite padres look is the short-lived brown and orange. (85 to maybe 88?). I'd take that back. Otherwise, I hope they just stay the same.

That makes 2 of us and im surprised that the Padres hasn't wore it yet and they brought back the 1991-1998 uniforms which I didn't like by the way.

As for the uniforms change I think what going to happened is that the Padres is going to get rid of the camouflage uniforms and used the retro as the alternates just like the Brewers and the Blue Jays.

My favorite padres look is the short-lived brown and orange. (85 to maybe 88?). I'd take that back. Otherwise, I hope they just stay the same.

That makes 2 of us and im surprised that the Padres hasn't wore it yet and they brought back the 1991-1998 uniforms which I didn't like by the way.

As for the uniforms change I think what going to happened is that the Padres is going to get rid of the camouflage uniforms and used the retro as the alternates just like the Brewers and the Blue Jays.

I always liked the brown/orange homes but never really cared for the pinstriped roads with only the interlocking SD. I like the style of the navy/orange roads with the San Diego spelled out, but I always think "Astros" when I think navy and orange. I would loved to see that version of the roads done in brown and orange (of course with only brown letters trimmed in orange).

nl_1991_sandiego.gif

When we discussed this topic a couple of months ago, BallWonk and I came up with this potential color scheme:

This is slightly different than the first proposal, but IMO - is modern, yet points to the past as well.

Brown and Carolina/Columbia/University Blue is such an under-utilized combo in sports. The only teams I'm aware of that use it are the ones at Tufts U.

Also, can someone please explain the idiotic anti-brown bias people seem to have when it comes to its use in sports? (And before anyone brings it up... yes, I know the "fecal matter" theory, but it doesn't hold up when you look at how popular yellow is)

All depends on how it's used. The Padres have, for the most part, used terrible shades and/or used it in terrible color combinations and deigns.

I'm curious to see what the above color scheme would yield. The sand aways would need to be kept, natch.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Brown and Carolina/Columbia/University Blue is such an under-utilized combo in sports. The only teams I'm aware of that use it are the ones at Tufts U.

Also, can someone please explain the idiotic anti-brown bias people seem to have when it comes to its use in sports? (And before anyone brings it up... yes, I know the "fecal matter" theory, but it doesn't hold up when you look at how popular yellow is)

Agreed. Yeah, the anti-brown stuff is mostly non-sense. How many times do we have to read posts about how hot brown jerseys are to wear. Really? Hotter than navy or black? Why exactly would that be, Dr. Science?

You know...I like brown better than purple. You have good points. Somewhat funny viewpoint of mine: instead of poo, I tend to think of brown as chocolate. Whenever I see old 70s-80s videos of the Cleveland Browns whenever they wore the brown tops and orange pants, it reminds me of Reese's. Other chocolate eaters should push for more brown on sports teams. ^_^

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

You know...I like brown better than purple.

As do I.

Purple is a terrible sports color, because it is so easily affected by lighting conditions. The Vikings' jerseys look completely different in person at the Dome than they do or on television, or outdoors under natural light, or outdoors under artificial light, or in a photographer's studio for promotional pictures. Sometimes they're wearing purple, sometimes it's blue. It's a problem very few other colors have, at least to that extent.

And I just don't understand the bizarre aversion to brown some have. It's a fine color, even for sport.

You know...I like brown better than purple.

As do I.

Purple is a terrible sports color, because it is so easily affected by lighting conditions. The Vikings' jerseys look completely different in person at the Dome than they do or on television, or outdoors under natural light, or outdoors under artificial light, or in a photographer's studio for promotional pictures. Sometimes they're wearing purple, sometimes it's blue. It's a problem very few other colors have, at least to that extent.

And I just don't understand the bizarre aversion to brown some have. It's a fine color, even for sport.

OK, wait. Here we are, gathering together to defend the honor of a fine color like Brown, and you two decide to turn it into an unprovoked attack on the color of kings, my beloved Purple? :D

Shame.

Simple. It's racial. :P

A return to brown would be fantastic. I'm in the midst of creating my own fictitious league and 2 of the 16 teams have dark brown (but different shades, one of which is actually the Pantone 412 C) as their dominant "primary" color.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

And I'm still waiting to see the drafts of those, Greg. :D

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived