Padre ponderings?

BawlmerOreos

Yeah, this looks even better in the photo than in the Okkonen mockup. Very nice. They could even keep the khaki roads with this... :)

Well, it certainly shows that the right shade of brown can work beautifully for a cap and jersey lettering. My biggest gripe with this is not the yellow-brown combo, which I just don't like for purely subjective reasons, but the SD logo. The old SD logos are just terrible; they look like something a middle school kid would draw in his Trapper Keeper during a boring math class. And not in a good way.

Keep the current cap logo and jersey scripts, switch the Padres caps to brown instead of navy, retain the tan road uniforms (or even desaturate the fabric color just a bit) and you'd be well on the road to an update that combines the distinctive use of brown that marked the 1970s Padres with the design excellence of the team's current branding package.

20082614447.png

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're mostly on to something, but the wavy Padres logo wouldn't work in brown. A nice serif font would look pretty good, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You're mostly on to something, but the wavy Padres logo wouldn't work in brown. A nice serif font would look pretty good, though.

Nah, the only problem is the underline. The rest of the script would look just fine in brown; there's nothing particularly "wavy" about about the script itself.

20082614447.png

Nah, the only problem is the underline. The rest of the script would look just fine in brown; there's nothing particularly "wavy" about about the script itself.

I think he means the logo with the wavy ocean motif. I think.

I love the current SD on the caps but I really don't care for the Padres script. The whole P trying to be a sail and the A not connecting at the top just doesn't work. Add to it the floating underline and it's just poorly done.

Fix the P and A and connect the underline to the wordmark and you'd be close.

heathhh.jpg

Current SD in brown looks sharp to me.

padresbrowncap.jpg

I think he means the logo with the wavy ocean motif. I think.

No, I meant to say the script. It wouldn't look good in brown, especially since the wavy underline is a big part of the script. Besides, having followed the NBA's design trends through this decade, I have to oppose a recoloring just on general principle.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, this looks even better in the photo than in the Okkonen mockup. Very nice. They could even keep the khaki roads with this... :)

Well, it certainly shows that the right shade of brown can work beautifully for a cap and jersey lettering. My biggest gripe with this is not the yellow-brown combo, which I just don't like for purely subjective reasons, but the SD logo. The old SD logos are just terrible; they look like something a middle school kid would draw in his Trapper Keeper during a boring math class. And not in a good way.

Keep the current cap logo and jersey scripts, switch the Padres caps to brown instead of navy, retain the tan road uniforms (or even desaturate the fabric color just a bit) and you'd be well on the road to an update that combines the distinctive use of brown that marked the 1970s Padres with the design excellence of the team's current branding package.

Can't really argue with any of that. Definitely agree on keeping the current cap logo, as seen below, and wouldn't expect anything less since the current is the evolution of that undersized SD...

I love the current SD on the caps but I really don't care for the Padres script. The whole P trying to be a sail and the A not connecting at the top just doesn't work. Add to it the floating underline and it's just poorly done.

Fix the P and A and connect the underline to the wordmark and you'd be close.

heathhh.jpg

Current SD in brown looks sharp to me.

padresbrowncap.jpg

... however, seeing three (3!) of those Padres scripts across the front and sides of that jersey certainly exposes some of their current set's faults. I realize one is a one-year patch, but that has to be the first time the same script is used three times on a baseball jersey. That just looks really odd to me. Lose the extra scripts and stick the friar on one sleeve.

Let's not forget this guy. Bring it on!!!

gnk356weka7e940qfvthk7uhf.gif

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Don't forget this guy (or girl??? :wacko:)

JaysLogo3.png

(though he/she might have to be tested for steroids first.)

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

bringing this back because the Padres wore their sandy roads tonight against the Reds and I noticed something that I think is a little interesting and pertinent to this conversation. Maybe I'm seeing things, but on many of the Padres it looked like their pants were a lighter color than their tops. There could be a few explanations for this. 1, I'm imagining it, 2, the cool-base color is slightly different than their pants, and 3 my personal belief, the excessive use of the blue jersey has caused the road pants to go through the wash more times than the road tops causing them to be slightly faded. Anyone else ever see anything like this?

PvO6ZWJ.png

bringing this back because the Padres wore their sandy roads tonight against the Reds and I noticed something that I think is a little interesting and pertinent to this conversation. Maybe I'm seeing things, but on many of the Padres it looked like their pants were a lighter color than their tops. There could be a few explanations for this. 1, I'm imagining it, 2, the cool-base color is slightly different than their pants, and 3 my personal belief, the excessive use of the blue jersey has caused the road pants to go through the wash more times than the road tops causing them to be slightly faded. Anyone else ever see anything like this?

Nope but oddly enough my friend was at the game tonight...

6fQjS3M.png

How much have they worn the all sandy roads this year, cause when they played the Giants 6 times on the road so far this year, they wore dark blue shirts and sand pants

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Archived