Trojans Logo

9erssteve

Well here goes, first ever concept on the board. A new take on a logo for a team named the Trojans, not sure which one yet (wont be USC or Troy), I'm still working my way through an extensive listed supplied by DelayedPenalty (thanks again), but it will be for a genuine team.

Before I go into to much detail about the piece I have to thank Patchey, this idea came about as a result of his Knights hockey concept and without that I'm not sure I'd have done this. He knows all this, I got in touch with him to say I'd come up with something based off of his idea and he was really cool about it and keen to see it so big thanks to him.

For anyone who saw the Knights concept I have to say I fell in love with the idea of an armored horse for a logo. It got me thinking and more importantly sketching and what follows are the first results that I'm happy enough to share. There a plenty of teams called the Trojans and all of them use some kind of Helmeted Warrior/Gladiator type logo. Well horses play a pretty big part in the whole story of Troy so thought using the armored horse for a Trojans logo could be a unique logo for an old name.

This will be a football concept when complete (uni's to follow) as I know nothing about any other sport, so figured it best to stick with what you know. Been working on it for a while now and kind of at the stage where I feel I could do with some feed back so thought I'd post this just now and go off and start to think about the logotype secondary items and uni's and then come back to the primary in a day or two with fresh eyes and some feedback to work with.

Colours at the moment are purely experimental once I've decided on which Trojans I'm redesigning I'll go with their existing colour scheme.

Thanks for reading and C&C's welcomed.

9erssteve

Trojan-Horse-primary-final.png

9ersstevesig.png

First of all, the idea is great, way to try something different.

On to the logo, it's, well......

It's AWESOME. ^_^ It is as I said a really cool idea, and you have executed it to near perfection. The horse looks mean enough, and the armor is very cool and defined. I love the part on top of the helmet, the ruff like thing ( dont know what its called) because with the highlight you gave it texture. Great job, can't wait to see more.

Great job rendering it. It looks great, very professional.

My only critique would be how the armor on the horse's head appears to be flat, facing towards the viewer, while based on the horse's positioning, it should be wrapped around the horse's head... I don't know how to explain it, but the left side of the armor I feel should not be as visible as the right side, due to perspective... I'm sorry, I don't know this makes any sense--I'm having terrible difficulty phrasing this for some reason!

You always offer excellent, in-depth critique, and this simply validates that you really know what you're talking about.

Great job rendering it. It looks great, very professional.

My only critique would be how the armor on the horse's head appears to be flat, facing towards the viewer, while based on the horse's positioning, it should be wrapped around the horse's head... I don't know how to explain it, but the left side of the armor I feel should not be as visible as the right side, due to perspective... I'm sorry, I don't know this makes any sense--I'm having terrible difficulty phrasing this for some reason!

You always offer excellent, in-depth critique, and this simply validates that you really know what you're talking about.

Okay I think I know what you mean, you're talking about the face plate not being rounded while the ones down the neck wrap right round yeah? If so this was deliberate, I tried it close fitting like the armor over the neck and it just lacked something, so I tried it flatter in a similar style to the nose guards you'd find on an Norse or Viking Helmet, then kinda went to town a little with the shape to make the whole piece feel a bit more aggressive and give the logo a little more movement if you like. I tried to make it look like it had a slight bevel to it with the shading but maybe I need to look at exaggerating that slightly.

Thanks for the compliments and I should have some more stuff to post in a day or two.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Great work. When I look at the one on the left, I think of Florida State. I'm a Florida State fan, so it's totally cool. I know it's not what you were going for, but it's still nice.

I would not have the armor extend past the nose. I just think it extends a little too far. I think over all it is very well done though.

• 1 month later...

Okay I'd been busy doing a few other things but in the last week I finally got some time to get back to this project which was started months ago.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and feedback, especially to walkdesign who was absolutely spot on with his comment about everything being on different planes and the angles all being to hell! My fault entirely, it started as a sketch, then I drew it up on the mac and decided there was enough movement in the piece, but instead of doing the right thing and going back and redrawing it I tried to butcher the vector file and failed miserably! I should know better but hey we all screw up sometimes. So with that in mind and the feedback from others who said the armor was a bit over the top (again you guys were right!) I literally went back to the drawing board on this one and started from scratch.

I've settled (for now) on using the semi-pro team the Valley Trojans for the name, I did however change up the colour palette as right now they pretty much use the USC colours and I wanted to distance my work from that. Colours are again far from final at this stage, I'm still playing with a few other schemes so if you have any suggestions feel free to let me know those too.

As you can see I've altered the position of the horse to what I hope is something more natural, I've simplified the armor a fair bit to expose more of the horse and aid recognition and created a logotype, combined mark and helmet proposal. Uni's to follow at a later date. As always thanks for reading, C&C welcome and appreciated.

Enjoy

9erssteve

Trojans-logo-slick.png

9ersstevesig.png

Awesome!!! Great work, that is just fantastic. The horse looks awesome, the new position makes it waaay better (although it still rocked before.), and the script is sweet. Also, I realize you are one of the users who would probably get c and c instead of praise, which is the way to go, and some people just dont realize that. But, I have no c and c to give you, and hey, it's good to get praise once in a while right? :D

The new logo is a huge upgrade. I like the new position/angle of the horse head. The wordmark is very nice, and the beveling works well. The colors are a bit washed, but I like them because they aren't the generic garnet/gold/black combo that we so often see with concepts for this "type" of nickname (Trojans/Warriors/Spartans/etc). There does seem to be a place on his "helmet mane" beneath his head (to the right of his neck) with no black outline.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Great logo but i just feel that the colors seem too washed out

Could be due to the watermarks.

I love that finished set. Very interesting take to use a horse for the Trojans (obviously works if you know the story). Genius idea, actually.

87Redskins.png

Very cool logo. I agree that there needs to be more contrast in the colors. Also, I don't think you need the tail behind the head. Kind of looks like it's just floating. It would look great with just the head. But overall, it's pretty awesome.

Archived