Halladay All-Star Game oddity

CubsFanBudMan

Blue Jays pitcher Roy Halladay stepped to the plate in the 2nd inning with a logoless Tampa Bay Rays helmet. They briefly showed the back and it had the light blue/blue MLB logo and the number 3 -- Evan Longoria. (EDIT: just looked it up -- makes sense since he was scratched.) (EDIT 2: I see I took way too long and two people beat me to it. Thanks -- I was expecting this to be one of several threads too.)

The announcers said something about not packing a helmet... which could be true since he probably figured he wouldn't get up that fast. Or it could have been a joke.

At least it was blue.

I wonder why they bothered to take off the decal? It's not like a guy wearing the wrong helmet hasn't happened before. It's happened quite a bit over the years.

I could be way off on this, but I once read something about the league trying to get kids into the game more and this is a way of having the kids be familiar with which players play for which teams. Possibly to avoid any trade rumor confusion as well? Just some thoughts...

I wonder why they bothered to take off the decal? It's not like a guy wearing the wrong helmet hasn't happened before. It's happened quite a bit over the years.

I could be way off on this, but I once read something about the league trying to get kids into the game more and this is a way of having the kids be familiar with which players play for which teams. Possibly to avoid any trade rumor confusion as well? Just some thoughts...

Could be. Who knows?

BB52Big.jpg

Whatever. If that was the reason, everyone one of MLB's top brass needs to be fired. It's these fools who have ruined the game. Half the fun of the All-Star game use to be seeing players with wrong batting helmets. It's a friggin' All-Star game, have fun with it and let him wear an Oakland A's helmet or something like that. Heck, let him wear one of the old yellow A's helmets that Reggie Jackson wore.

Whatever. If that was the reason, everyone one of MLB's top brass needs to be fired. It's these fools who have ruined the game. Half the fun of the All-Star game use to be seeing players with wrong batting helmets. It's a friggin' All-Star game, have fun with it and let him wear an Oakland A's helmet or something like that. Heck, let him wear one of the old yellow A's helmets that Reggie Jackson wore.

Or do what Larry Walker did a good couple years ago and step up to the plate with his batting helmet on backwards. That was probably one of the funniest things I've seen.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Halladay trade rumors are hot and heavy right now, so I'm sure that is why they decided to take the sticker off. We all know how some people can be when it comes to that sort of thing. I'm sure whoever suggested he wear a blank helmet did him a favor because he would get bombarded with useless media questions about the possibility of playing on the team of the helmet he wore.

Halliday trade rumors are hot and heavy right now, so I'm sure that is why they decided to take the sticker off. We all know how some people can be when it comes to that sort of thing. I'm sure whoever suggested he wear a blank helmet did him a favor because he would get bombarded with useless media questions about the possibility of playing on the team of the helmet he wore.

That, or maybe he just didn't want to wear the mark of a rival team. It could be that simple. I'm sure a lot of Mets fans would be ticked if David Wright wore a Phillies cap, and vice versa.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Halliday trade rumors are hot and heavy right now, so I'm sure that is why they decided to take the sticker off. We all know how some people can be when it comes to that sort of thing. I'm sure whoever suggested he wear a blank helmet did him a favor because he would get bombarded with useless media questions about the possibility of playing on the team of the helmet he wore.

That, or maybe he just didn't want to wear the mark of a rival team. It could be that simple. I'm sure a lot of Mets fans would be ticked if David Wright wore a Phillies cap, and vice versa.

^Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one!^

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

The question no one seems to be asking is why are pitchers hitting in an All-Star Game in the first place? Makes no sense whatsoever. The one time a DH actually makes sense is in the All-Star Game. He shouldn't have been up there in the first place. They should worry about that more than the stupid home-field advantage thing.

The plan was for no pitchers to hit. But since the AL got off to such a quick start (And Halladay was scheduled to go 2 innings) it just worked out where he got to hit. Not a huge deal as far as I'm concerned, but the DH should probably be used in the ASG every year. Of all the things they could do to change it, they pick the one thing that makes no sense (Home field Advantage) and ignore the thing that make the most sense (The DH) But that's bug Selig for ya.

Aaron Hill made out before Halladay stepped to the plate. They both bat right. Why couldn't he have just swapped it for Hill's helmet, you know, seeing as how they're both righties and both play for Toronto...

Do they wear the same size helmet?

I'm reluctantly for the DH in the ASG -- I'm against the DH in all other instances, including the American League -- but count me as a converted skeptic of the WS home field thing. It's one of many things Selig has done that kind of pissed me off at the time but where the results have simply been positive for the game. ASG ratings are up, city interest in hosting the event is way up, and the ASG has become a much bigger fixture on the American sports calendar. Interleague play greatly diminished the ASG, but the home-field thing has restored its relevance. Plus, we've seen somewhat less of teams protecting their players by preventing them from participating in ASG events since the home-field thing, and very little of the once-common-in-the-1990s phenomenon of big stars phoning in a lackluster inning or two and then essentially walking out of the ballpark. The ASG plays like a game now, not like a Pro Bowl, which is a real change since the home-field rule was established.

20082614447.png

Aaron Hill made out before Halladay stepped to the plate. They both bat right. Why couldn't he have just swapped it for Hill's helmet, you know, seeing as how they're both righties and both play for Toronto...

I'm reluctantly for the DH in the ASG -- I'm against the DH in all other instances, including the American League -- but count me as a converted skeptic of the WS home field thing. It's one of many things Selig has done that kind of pissed me off at the time but where the results have simply been positive for the game. ASG ratings are up, city interest in hosting the event is way up, and the ASG has become a much bigger fixture on the American sports calendar. Interleague play greatly diminished the ASG, but the home-field thing has restored its relevance. Plus, we've seen somewhat less of teams protecting their players by preventing them from participating in ASG events since the home-field thing, and very little of the once-common-in-the-1990s phenomenon of big stars phoning in a lackluster inning or two and then essentially walking out of the ballpark. The ASG plays like a game now, not like a Pro Bowl, which is a real change since the home-field rule was established.

Not sure about that part -- there were a LOT of first pitch swings in yesterday's game. Although the defense was solid

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

The biggest problem though is the game is still run like an exhibition (I've stated this in another thread too). If they want to make the game count, then the fan vote should be taken away. All of the league managers should get together and pick the 25 best players regardless of team (not every team should get a representative). Then the ASG managers need to play the best guys and not worry about getting everyone in the game. Roy Halladay and Tim Lincecum should pitch until they are tired/ineffective instead of just 2 innings. The biggest problem is that the MLB only went halfway when they made the game count. Personally I think the game should go back to being an exhibition, but I wouldn't mind if they kept the WS home field advantage as long as they set it up as if the game counts.

I don't care if Doc was slated for 2 innings, Maddon should never have sent him up there to hit. It wasn't in the best interests of the American League team, the fans, or Halladay himself.

I agree with the others, I hate the DH but it needs to be used in the All Star Game no matter where it is. There are too many hitters that deserve a plate appearance.

Also, "making it count" makes Charlie Manuel walk Victor Martinez in his only plate appearance in the ASG. (the right move, but not in the interest of entertainment) How crappy is that? That never would have happened if it was an exhibition as it should be.

I know this isn't the best place for this, but my friend had a great idea today. If they want home field to be determined by something other than best record, it should be Inter-league records. How much more fun would those games be to watch? Some are but it would at least put some interest into the Marlins-Blue Jays matchups outside of Toronto and Miami right?

Archived