Halladay All-Star Game oddity

CubsFanBudMan

I wonder why they bothered to take off the decal? It's not like a guy wearing the wrong helmet hasn't happened before. It's happened quite a bit over the years.

Here's the first one I remember, and as a kid watching this game, it confused me quite a bit!

2658769858_0b3b6082d5.jpg

Aaron Hill made out before Halladay stepped to the plate. They both bat right. Why couldn't he have just swapped it for Hill's helmet, you know, seeing as how they're both righties and both play for Toronto...

Then what happens if Aaron Hill gets on base? Halladay would be standing in the on-deck circle with no helmet on.

Aaron Hill made out before Halladay stepped to the plate. They both bat right. Why couldn't he have just swapped it for Hill's helmet, you know, seeing as how they're both righties and both play for Toronto...

Then what happens if Aaron Hill gets on base? Halladay would be standing in the on-deck circle with no helmet on.

??

Hill...made...an...out...before...out...Halladay...stepped...to...the...plate. Halladay was only going to get the one at bat. I don't see the problem.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

??

Hill...made...an...out...before...out...Halladay...stepped...to...the...plate. Halladay was only going to get the one at bat. I don't see the problem.

Exactly. He wasn't on base, which was my point. If he did get on base, then obviously something would've had to have been done...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

My extensive experience as a Little League/Senior League player, etc., taught me that if the guy up to bat before you already grabbed the team's lone XL helmet -- there was always just one, and 10 smalls no one used -- you are out of luck and better grab a different one.

Not only could he get on base, but you also have to stand on-deck with some helmet anyway. And do you really want to call that guy over to you as you are walking to the plate and say, 'Hey, Aaron, let me get that helmet." ? (And yeah, I've seen it done.)

Back in the day I liked to wear my cap under it a la Juan Pierre, hence the XL. So technically I didn't really need it. Always wanted the roomy, high-numbered jerseys too, but somebody bigger/older always trumped me for those, too. Lots of 2s, 4s, 8s. :)

I heard the Selig said it would be a 'logistical nightmare' to give home field advantage to the team with the best record. How in the World would it be a logistical nightmare when you still don't know who is going to host until the LCS is over. It doesn't matter that you already know what league will host, you still don't know what city will until about a week (or sooner) before the World Series starts.

So the 'logistical nightmare' excuse is a load of crap. Other leagues do it and they are doing just fine. If it were decided by best record, at least everyone could agree that the team playing in the World Series either earned home field, or they didn't.

I know there could one day be a situation where a Wild Card winner would square off in the World Series against a Division winner, and the Wild card team could have a better record. But that is one of those issues they can take care of before it even happens.

I know Selig is not a fan of fixing things before they become a problem, but this should seriously come under consideration because the current format just plain sucks.

Turn the All-Star game back into what it was meant to be, a fun game between the best players. Include the DH, and give home field advantage to the best team that year regardless of league.

I know this thread is about Halladay's helmet, but it did raise the question about the DH, and the ASG counting, and all that. So please excuse my rant, but that's how I feel :)

I wonder why they bothered to take off the decal? It's not like a guy wearing the wrong helmet hasn't happened before. It's happened quite a bit over the years.

Here's the first one I remember, and as a kid watching this game, it confused me quite a bit!

2658769858_0b3b6082d5.jpg

Other notable instances:

1964: Johnny Callison (Phillies) wears Met helmet -- hits walk-off HR to win game at Shea

1972: Carlton Fisk (Red Sox) wears Brewers helmet

1973: Willie Davis (Dodgers) wears Braves helmet -- homers against Nolan Ryan

1976: Tom Seaver (Mets) wears Dodger helmet

1977: Ruppert Jones (Mariners) wears Blue Jays helmet -- Blue Jay helmet appears in All-Star Game before the 1st Blue Jay

1981: Joel Youngblood (Mets) wears Braves helmet

1981: Dave Steib (Blue Jays) wears Mariner helmet

(Photos compiled by Paul Lukas for his ESPN column published for last year's All-Star Game.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived