Quad City Mallards jerseys

Geoff

GFB, are you saying "supposed to be" in the designer's vision way? Because the dark green would have been very nice. I would order that alt today. Still getting something next time I'm back home.

Although I like the alt logo in the circle, having it contradicts the "don't need the team name" there. But it's minor league hockey, I tend to expect that wordmark to be there on the home and roads.

More than most unveilings, I think I can see where the designer was headed, and where the marketing/front office people stepped in, and you seem to be confirming that.

No.. more "supposed to be" as in this is the official graphic:

Uniform_Alternate.png

Yeah, green. Not black.

I'll have to ask the guy from Athletic Knit, but I'm 95% sure those are replica jerseys (notice the screen-printed crest). I know they (Athletic Knit) were rushing to pull off this unveiling in time for the presser, so it wouldn't surprise me in if they went with a black jersey to save time and will switch to dark green when they produce the authentic uniforms.

Are those jerseys sublimated (that's the right word, isn't it?)

Yeah, these sweaters were a socially useful product of GhettoFarmBoy's Oedipal tension.

Yikes... Hope that's not contagious. But no, they are not. I'm not even sure what part of the jersey you would be talking about...

And here's a bigger version of the Alternate crest:

MallardsSecondary-Script.png

GFB, are you saying "supposed to be" in the designer's vision way? Because the dark green would have been very nice. I would order that alt today. Still getting something next time I'm back home.

Although I like the alt logo in the circle, having it contradicts the "don't need the team name" there. But it's minor league hockey, I tend to expect that wordmark to be there on the home and roads.

More than most unveilings, I think I can see where the designer was headed, and where the marketing/front office people stepped in, and you seem to be confirming that.

Uniform_Alternate.png

Yeah, green. Not black.

I'll have to ask the guy from Athletic Knit, but I'm 95% sure those are replica jerseys (notice the screen-printed crest). I know they (Athletic Knit) were rushing to pull off this unveiling in time for the presser, so it wouldn't surprise me in if they went with a black jersey to save time and will switch to dark green when they produce the authentic uniforms.

Yeah, these sweaters were a socially useful product of GhettoFarmBoy's Oedipal tension.

Yikes... Hope that's not contagious. But no, they are not. I'm not even sure what part of the jersey you would be talking about...

This all looks a lot better here. I mean, to the point where I'm considering picking up the jersey - assuming that the finished product isn't fully sublimated. Hopefully, it does turn out green, and not black. And in that case, in the tradition of the Argos, perhaps one could nickname the Mallards the "double green"?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I was wondering the same thing. They may be just for the unveiling.

I believe this is correct. They were done quickly and were only replica weight material. I think we'll see full quality game jerseys.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Uniform_Alternate.png

Yeah, green. Not black.

That is excellent news for everything but my wallet. :) Nice job. It all looks great.

• 5 months later...

Bumping this because the Mallards finally got their team store up.

Bad news. It's black.

d0e3c131df58939c00971c29e0ac44d0.500.jpg

And not only is it black, but the jersey is sublimated, so it's faded black. Must have been cheaper for the team, since the alternate doesn't have any kind of crazy, intricate striping that could only be done via sublimation. And yet, they still want $250 for a blank authentic.

Worse than that, the replicas are $120, and are fully sublimated - not a stitch of stitching. Not even Swingman-style screened twill.

71aa21f75b00a1e54d6a5cb07d4248e1.500.jpg

Also note that all of the nifty beige detailing, outlining, and striping has been replaced with standard white. Hey, one less color to pay for on the printing.

It appears that somewhere between Matt's computer and the Athletic Knit factory, a lot of the awesomeness got sucked out of this design. I'm going to guess that "somewhere" was likely an office in Moline. Unfortunately, this design is a prime example of the devil being in the details, and how omitting or screwing up a crucial few details can dissuade a discerning potential buyer from a purchase, especially if said purchase is upwards of $200 for a long-sleeved shirt.

I haven't been able to find any game action shots of any of the Mallards' new uniforms, mainly because the team apparently either can't afford a photographer or can't be bothered to upload photos to its website. Either way, that's probably not a good sign. But given the other instances of corner-cutting, I'm guessing the lighter green pants never actually came to pass.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 5 months later...

Bumping this because, with the scraps of the IHL folding into the CHL, the Mallards have put every bit of clothing left in the team store at 50% off.

And, despite my disappointment over the double green getting swapped out for overdone black (and that the team opted for black pants to go with all three jerseys), I did pick up one of those authentic alts. It's kinda weird knowing that I now own two jerseys with logos designed by folks on this board - Sterling's Manitoba Moose being the other.

• 3 months later...

I'm bumping this because the Mallards played their first CHL game and in a photo gallery on the Quad-City Times' website, it shows the main logo as the jersey logo (at least on the white jersey):

QCTimes.com: Mallards CHL debut photos

I like that better, as I was a bigger fan of that logo (with or without the circle and wordmark). Maybe GFB can enlighten us.

As a side note: Isn't the Pepsi logo upside down?

On the downside, they've switched out their nifty custom font for AK's standard block. But the circular logo does look better on the front, and the mallard head patches are perfect on the shoulders.

Archived