New England Patriots -updated primary-

rentz

Well, the logo was a convergence of ideas really... I was trying to come up with a monogram (NE) logo and a primary conveying something about the "patriots", and this one solved both.

Anyway, here's an updated primary... aside from minor things like line width adjustment, it now bears the 13 stripes a proper flag should:

newenglandl-5.png

All C+C appreciated... updated unis + helmet should be up soon. So, the consensus is keep the flag helmet? Also, that's a pretty good idea Impaler, I may try putting the flag where the stars were.

now that thing is awsome. stick that on the sleeves and pat the patriot on the helmets, and you got a winner.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, the logo was a convergence of ideas really... I was trying to come up with a monogram (NE) logo and a primary conveying something about the "patriots", and this one solved both.

Anyway, here's an updated primary... aside from minor things like line width adjustment, it now bears the 13 stripes a proper flag should:

newenglandl-5.png

All C+C appreciated... updated unis + helmet should be up soon. So, the consensus is keep the flag helmet? Also, that's a pretty good idea Impaler, I may try putting the flag where the stars were.

From a concept perspective, there is something really amazing here. I think the emphasis needs to be changed around. Right now it seems like the focus is on the flag, but in reality this mark is needed to represent the NE with the flag part being much more subtle and just reinforcing the NE and explaining the point of the shape. Remember you are selling New England, not a flag.

To accomplish this, I think the strokes around flag should be like 30 pixels or so. Really bold and the flag should be more simple and much less literal so at tiny sizes the shapes hold up. As far as the flag pole, make it one flat shape that works with the bold outside shape of the logo. Lose all of the interior lines and rope wrapping around and the ball on top. A torn flag shouldn't be so ornate with the pole anyway, but use the pole as a compliment to the whole shape, it's not so important to be so literal.

I like that you went out on a limb with this one, I really like the helmet. The jerseys could be toned down a bit I think, it's like star overload. Also, the NE flag logo is brilliant, very creative.

I'm looking forward to more!

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I think what's making it look awkward as the helmet logo is the flag pole attached to it. Try a version without and see how it moves you. Also, I think I'd like to see a thicker blue stroke around the flag...but all in all, that's an extremely creative execution. I don't think I would have ever thought of trying something like that. Kudos.

agreed it looks better like this

Untitled-1-11.png

I AM NOT TAKING CREDIT FOR THIS ALL I DID WAS MODIFY IT TO MAKE A POINT

newenglandl-5.png

I don't know if you were inspired by this, but the first thing I thought of was....

newera_logo.jpg

Even so, that is some great thinking... I must admit that you need to go with a more "natural" flagpole. This one seems a little too perfect for having such an imperfect flag.

Thanks for all the comments--I'm glad the logo is so well received.

I can't say I was inspired by that logo, GFB, though that would have been another interesting way of adding an N to the logo.

I'm working on another update to the logo and 3D helmet view, but here's some updated threads... One thing I did to sort of be a homage to the "striped" uniforms of the 90s, with the stars to make them a bit more understated. I don't know what they did on the stripes, if it was a different fabric, or if it was laminated or screen printed or something... but that was what I was going for. I also made the stripe more classic, like the ones from this set:

grogan_steve.jpg

So they now wrap all the way around. Also, the alternate is sort of a updated throwback, with the same stripes and Pat on the pants.

patriots.png

Thanks for the comments. I would have the flag face backwards on both shoulders, but then the NE wouldn't be visible from that side. I figure it would be likely that, on the field, you would only see one shoulder and thus one logo at a time so it wouldn't be so visually jarring... I do see what you're talking about though.

@ Walkdesign... I see what you're saying, but I have to disagree because I think the emphasis is the flag, while the monogram part is 'hidden' within it. I think that the flag itself stands alone as the primary mark of the team, representing Patriotism and whatnot, and the NE is just an extra layer to the design. I have made the outline thicker, however, and modified the flagpole so that it looks a bit more military-esque with a pointy top, than one you'd see in front of a middle school with a ball on top.

fl2-1.png

I also tweaked the 3D view of the helmets... the stars are now in perspective, and I tried to make the stripes more fluid and transition more smoothly.

phelmet-1.png

All C+C is appreciated

Archived