Florida Marlins ballpark groundbreaking logo

CubsFanBudMan

I looked at the pics of the stadium and it looks really nice. The rectractable roof will help a ton since so many of their games are postponed due to rain. But my question, how are they going to afford this? The stadium is always empty when i watch a game. This would mean low revenue.

They are using the Field of Dreams philosophy "if you built...people will come" approach to increasing revenue. David Sampson (Team President) has already stated that payroll will not increase until there are more people coming to games. This is where the Marlins main problem lies. They do such a horrible job at marketing themselves it is ridiculous. They only marketing themselves to one area...Miami and forget that there are two other counties to draw from. The traffic to the stadium will be horrendous since there is only one way in and one way out. Hopefully, the stadium will actually spur "urban renewal" and blossom into a South Florida version of Wrigleyville or something along those lines because there is nothing there now to attract outside of the game. There was a reason why the Dolphins left the Orange Bowl in the first place.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not the Marlins' to afford. Hope you like 10,000 people watching bad baseball, Miami taxpayers!

Did the govt. pass it, or did the taxpayers also have a say? Just curious.

Government passed it. Taxpayers had a voice at council meetings but had no vote.

It's not the Marlins' to afford. Hope you like 10,000 people watching bad baseball, Miami taxpayers!

Did the govt. pass it, or did the taxpayers also have a say? Just curious.

Hey, I didn't even know Miami taxpayers paid for Nationals Park.

I saw, I came, I left.

I was at the groundbreaking ceremony on Saturday-- first of all it was awful-- it was delayed over an hour, it was scorching hot outside, and half of it was in spanish (yes they did most speeches twice, once in english, once in spanish... that's neither here nor there)...

anyways, before we start panicking about black and orange being their primary color let me say this:

in the new marlins ballpark renderings, the words "Marlins Ballpark" is displayed prominently in what color... TEAL! Not saying that means that teal is going to stay, but it seems to me they have no plans of getting rid of it. They could have easily done the renderings with a black marlins font and orange outline or vice versa, but instead it is teal and black...

Also,

* the white stadium was used to represent South Florida's huge cruise system down here. The blue seats will represent water (though in my opinion, blue is probably cheaper than teal -- this is the Marlins we're talking about!)

* on the field where the diamond will be built they displayed the Marlins logo in black with a teal outline. So I wouldn't jump to any conclusions with the orange and black shirt and logos (though in my opinion, that combo is such a downgrade its not even funny).

---- first of all, why would a team embrace black as its main color that plays in this heat? yes, the Marlins wear black jerseys but almost only at night, and they have no orange in any of their jerseys as others have pointed out.

So hopefully that clears some things up for you guys... as for the stadium, it looks really cool... but the area itself is a major downgrade from the nice Miami Gardens area they play in now. Whatever, hope that helps...

High Quality Entertainment for the masses.

DiamondbacksSig.pngsuperbowlxliii-1.png

It just occurred to me, that 3 of the 4 most recent expansion teams have changed their primary color since inception, and if the Marlins lose teal, that means they all have also ditched their primary color completely.

Arizona: purple -> red

Tampa Bay: black -> green -> navy

Florida/Miami: teal -> black

I looked at the pics of the stadium and it looks really nice. The rectractable roof will help a ton since so many of their games are postponed due to rain. But my question, how are they going to afford this? The stadium is always empty when i watch a game. This would mean low revenue.

Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphins/Dolphin/Land Shark Stadium is empty. Even with good crowds it looks empty cause it's got 75,000 seats. It's almost always hot and it rains almost every day in the summer. The new place comes equipped with the greatest invention ever, air conditioning. No more rain, and 75º temps inside. The Fish consistently rank in the top half in baseball when it comes to TV ratings. The fans are here, it's just that the current stadium blows. It was recently ranked the worst in baseball today, and I'd say worst ever considering the weather down here.

And as for revenue, even if only 10-15,000 showed up to the games, the Marlins would still make light years more revenue then they do at Land Shark Stadium. The team currently gets ZERO money from parking, ZERO from concessions, ZERO from merchandise sales, ZERO from stadium advertising. All the team gets is money from it's sponsors' ads and a handful of suites to sell. After selling the team, Wayne Huizenga really screwed the Fish, and new stadium/Dolphins owner Stephen Ross is continuing the trend.

As for the logos, yeah in the stadium renderings some of the Marlins wording is in teal, and on the field saturday at the ceremony so was the current Marlins script, but that's only because the eventual new logos/script do not exist yet.

Hopefully, the stadium will actually spur "urban renewal" and blossom into a South Florida version of Wrigleyville or something along those lines because there is nothing there now to attract outside of the game. There was a reason why the Dolphins left the Orange Bowl in the first place.

Miami Gardens isn't exactly South Beach, and it certainly wasn't in 1987 when Joe Robbie moved the team north. The move was purely for making money. The land was cheap, and by owning the stadium he stood to make much more money(especially with luxury suites, something the OB lacked). And there will have to be some "urban renewal", because as of now, there is no reason for anyone to go to that area. The new ballpark complex in addition to the stadium itself features shops and restaurants surrounding the park on the ground floor of the garages.

And as for revenue, even if only 10-15,000 showed up to the games, the Marlins would still make light years more revenue then they do at Land Shark Stadium. The team currently gets ZERO money from parking, ZERO from concessions, ZERO from merchandise sales, ZERO from stadium advertising. All the team gets is money from it's sponsors' ads and a handful of suites to sell. After selling the team, Wayne Huizenga really screwed the Fish, and new stadium/Dolphins owner Stephen Ross is continuing the trend.

Sounds like the deal the AZ Cardinals used to have at Sun Devil Stadium.

It's no wonder that the Cards are turning things around; having some money in your pocket can do that for you.

All the team gets is money from it's sponsors' ads and a handful of suites to sell.

You forgot the revenue-sharing handouts.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This...could...be...tricky.

Nonetheless, I'm glad to see it back up and running! The renderings make it look like Miller Park Lite, but they're awesome!

(Side note: For those bringing up the Marlins' low crowds, a good part of that is because of all the disadvantages of Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphin(s)/LandShark Stadium. In addition to it not being built for baseball, the weather/climate over the summer is also likely a part of it, as is the overly expansive feeling. Once this ballpark goes up, so will attendance!)

bYhYmxh.png

Nonetheless, I'm glad to see it back up and running! The renderings make it look like Miller Park Lite, but they're awesome!

(Side note: For those bringing up the Marlins' low crowds, a good part of that is because of all the disadvantages of Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphin(s)/LandShark Stadium. In addition to it not being built for baseball, the weather/climate over the summer is also likely a part of it, as is the overly expansive feeling. Once this ballpark goes up, so will attendance!)

While this is not a thread on the ballpark itself, this is too good. Poor taxpayers.

As Miami-Dade County commissioners worked late into the night to finalize financing for the Florida Marlins stadium last week, Commissioner Katy Sorenson posed a simple question: What's the total cost of financing going to be?

''I don't know off the top of my head,'' County Manager George Burgess replied.

With bonds issued last week in New York, the total cost is finally in black and white: $2.4 billion, spread over 40 years, to repay $409 million in bonds that will primarily, though not exclusively, cover stadium construction. The total exceeds earlier estimates, which pegged final costs at $1.8 billion to $2 billion, according to papers released by the Wall Street firms underwriting the bonds.

Stadium already over estimates

So instead of South Floridians taking a pass on Marlins tickets because driving is hard and weather is scary, now they'll take a pass on Marlins tickets because the neighborhood is bad and the ticket prices are 75% higher than they were at The Big Orange Plastic Thing. Poor taxpayers indeed.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick thought here, when the Marlins change their place name to "Miami" and are forced to ditch their "F" caps I really hope they give this logo another try.

ckhvh2kef8ignswrgxssk6jw3.gif

The Marlin is clearly designed for the F and the M looks like it was ripped right from the wordmark. I'd like to see a more static upper-case M that matches the font of the current F cap logo. It'd be lazy and I'd be disappointed if they just used this instead of sitting down and spending a little more time on a better version.

PvO6ZWJ.png

While this is not a thread on the ballpark itself, this is too good. Poor taxpayers.

As Miami-Dade County commissioners worked late into the night to finalize financing for the Florida Marlins stadium last week, Commissioner Katy Sorenson posed a simple question: What's the total cost of financing going to be?

With bonds issued last week in New York, the total cost is finally in black and white: $2.4 billion, spread over 40 years, to repay $409 million in bonds that will primarily, though not exclusively, cover stadium construction. The total exceeds earlier estimates, which pegged final costs at $1.8 billion to $2 billion, according to papers released by the Wall Street firms underwriting the bonds.

It is not the taxpayers getting hurt, if anything it is helping them. Those tax dollars are from hotel bed tax and could only be used on new hotels, convention centers, or other special projects (ie. the ballpark). Now while a hotel or new convention center might bring in more money to the area, it will not be used often by the residents and with the already stream of empty condos from Palm Beach down to Dade it serves no purpose to build another.

The people down here complain about the schools, the public safety, and fire, but they do not sit down go to a meeting understand what the tax dollars can be used for and how they are collected.

It is not the taxpayers getting hurt, if anything it is helping them. Those tax dollars are from hotel bed tax and could only be used on new hotels, convention centers, or other special projects (ie. the ballpark). Now while a hotel or new convention center might bring in more money to the area, it will not be used often by the residents and with the already stream of empty condos from Palm Beach down to Dade it serves no purpose to build another.

The people down here complain about the schools, the public safety, and fire, but they do not sit down go to a meeting understand what the tax dollars can be used for and how they are collected.

It cannot assist them when all projections on hotel/car revenue were much lower and 35 years of record usage will be required to pay the bonds off. The city/county needs a 15% increase in growth to pay off bonds. A Super Bowl, BCS title game or Breeder's Cup are not coming every year for the next 35.

Archived