Florida Marlins ballpark groundbreaking logo

CubsFanBudMan

I personally love the Black, Silver and hint of teal that they currently employ now. I might even push for emphasizing more of the silver and teal. I'm not a big fan of having another orange and black color scheme in baseball.

As for the stadium...it looks like an eyesore.

It just seems too bad that they couldn't figure out a way to get rid of all of the small supporting columns in left field that weren't there in the original plan. That way they could have more of an unobstructed view of whatever the hell there is to see in Miami other than palm trees and Convenience Stores (seems like there's one on every corner down there) They could have taken a page from the Astros or Mariners on how to make a retractable roof park look like an open air stadium from the inside. Instead it looks like they took a page from the Expos on how to make a big white concrete eyesore look outdated before its even built.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this is kind of of topic./

but take a look at this pic.

are theymiamistadium3.jpg opening an end at dolphin stadium?

That's the old proposal, from when they were originally thinking about building next to the Orange Bowl, before UMiami decided to move to Dolphin Stadium, which lead to the tearing down of the Orange Bowl and simply building the new Marlins Stadium on that lot.

I don't understand why architects can't figure out a way to design and build two ballparks (baseball and football stadiums) right next to each other and use the same retractable roof to cover both stadiums to save money. IOW, have a rail that allows the roof to pass from one field right over to the other. It seems like they could have done something like that in that picture.

Just curious. I'm not suggesting that they do that in Florida because they already have Dolphin Stadium built. But maybe down the road it could be a possibility in another city.

I don't understand why architects can't figure out a way to design and build two ballparks (baseball and football stadiums) right next to each other and use the same retractable roof to cover both stadiums to save money. IOW, have a rail that allows the roof to pass from one field right over to the other. It seems like they could have done something like that in that picture.

Just curious. I'm not suggesting that they do that in Florida because they already have Dolphin Stadium built. But maybe down the road it could be a possibility in another city.

That's what the original plan was for Arrowhead Stadium and Kaufmann (nee Royals) Stadium in K.C. The original construction went over-budget and the plans were scrapped.

They tried to revive the idea in the latest renovation budgets for the two venues, but it was still too costly.

Would have been pretty cool to see though.

...I've still got the 26MB .WMV computer animation of what it (the K.C. Stadium rolling roof) would have looked like, if anyone's interested.

Basically, it would have been a rolling canopy of sorts that would move between the two stadiums. In a way, kind of how SAFECO Fields' roof works. the roof wouldn't have made either stadium completely enclosed; it would have just protected the fans from the elements.

ehhhh, why trash a unique color scheme for one that exists with two MLB teams already??

why doo I feel like sometimes the CCSLC'ers need to be running the sports brand business?

Why, so everything would look like it did in 1954?

:D

No, that's Bud Selig who wants everything to look like it did in 1954. We here at CCSLC want everything to look like it did in 1984. Morning in America, baby!

:D

To be fair, in 1984 many more teams looks that were unique and distinctive... a concept that has taken a nosedive in baseball since then...

This...could...be...tricky.

Nonetheless, I'm glad to see it back up and running! The renderings make it look like Miller Park Lite, but they're awesome!

(Side note: For those bringing up the Marlins' low crowds, a good part of that is because of all the disadvantages of Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphin(s)/LandShark Stadium. In addition to it not being built for baseball, the weather/climate over the summer is also likely a part of it, as is the overly expansive feeling. Once this ballpark goes up, so will attendance!)

While this is not a thread on the ballpark itself, this is too good. Poor taxpayers.

As Miami-Dade County commissioners worked late into the night to finalize financing for the Florida Marlins stadium last week, Commissioner Katy Sorenson posed a simple question: What's the total cost of financing going to be?

''I don't know off the top of my head,'' County Manager George Burgess replied.

With bonds issued last week in New York, the total cost is finally in black and white: $2.4 billion, spread over 40 years, to repay $409 million in bonds that will primarily, though not exclusively, cover stadium construction. The total exceeds earlier estimates, which pegged final costs at $1.8 billion to $2 billion, according to papers released by the Wall Street firms underwriting the bonds.

Stadium already over estimates

It is not the taxpayers getting hurt, if anything it is helping them. Those tax dollars are from hotel bed tax and could only be used on new hotels, convention centers, or other special projects (ie. the ballpark). Now while a hotel or new convention center might bring in more money to the area, it will not be used often by the residents and with the already stream of empty condos from Palm Beach down to Dade it serves no purpose to build another.

The people down here complain about the schools, the public safety, and fire, but they do not sit down go to a meeting understand what the tax dollars can be used for and how they are collected.

It cannot assist them when all projections on hotel/car revenue were much lower and 35 years of record usage will be required to pay the bonds off. The city/county needs a 15% increase in growth to pay off bonds. A Super Bowl, BCS title game or Breeder's Cup are not coming every year for the next 35.

The projections were done using a 5% growth rate in revenues per year. The average growth for the fund has been ~8% since 1990. Before the recession the fund's revenues had grown at double digit rates for several years.

bedtaxes.png

The curve is a worst case scenario drop in revenues due to the recession.

I have been watching George Burgess at these meetings for years and he is by far the most competent public official in Miami-Dade County. He is a man among boys (and girls) and anyone who watches a Commission meeting will tell you that. He knows the county's finances better than most people know their own savings accounts.

1997 | 2003

To be fair, in 1984 many more teams looks that were unique and distinctive... a concept that has taken a nosedive in baseball since then...

Agreed. I was looking at the 1979 All-Star game photos, and the amount of color is amazing. There's yellow, blue, green, orange,red, and black. Gaudy? A little, yes. But it looked great.

I do have to agree with BallWonk on the orange/black issue. I've always thought the Orioles should be the orange team between them, Giants, and Marlins, but if the Marlins bust out an orange hat and have orange piping and numbers, along with an orange alt, I'd approve.

• 1 month later...

Q. & A. With Jeffrey Loria

A Stadium as a Work of Art

By Ken Belson

Published: September 20, 2009

Q. Will the team have new uniforms?

A. We?re two years away, but we started working on a new look for the uniforms, new colors, something special for the new home. Teal is a color for the ?90s. You have to be cognizant of your time. The seats will be a beautiful shade of blue.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

By Ken Belson

A. We?re two years away, but we started working on a new look for the uniforms, new colors, something special for the new home. Teal is a color for the ?90s. You have to be cognizant of your time. The seats will be a beautiful shade of blue.

My favorite comment is how the stadium looks like a spaceship. If the uniforms are primary blue, the Marlins will have two years to make them look bad.

Does this mean they're going to bite Tampa's color scheme by going navy or columbia? Geez, Loria, just stick with the colors you have. It's unique and not a horrible set of colors.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

They are using the Field of Dreams philosophy "if you built...people will come" approach to increasing revenue. David Sampson (Team President) has already stated that payroll will not increase until there are more people coming to games.

Haha, I'll believe this when I see it. Guaranteed they just keep pocketing that fat revenue-sharing cash and battling the Pirates for lowest payroll and attendance for years to come.

1zgyd8w.jpg

By Ken Belson

A. We’re two years away, but we started working on a new look for the uniforms, new colors, something special for the new home. Teal is a color for the ’90s. You have to be cognizant of your time. The seats will be a beautiful shade of blue.

He also has to be cognizant of the fact that colors like teal and aqua are associated with tropical areas and places like Miami, Florida where his team happens to play. I understand the whole "90's teal" reference but I think the use of teal in this case was more appropriate concerning the location of the team and the mascot. Its not like it was the Charlotte Hornets or anything where the color use had more to do with using the color just to be different. IT would be a crying shame to completely eliminate that color from their scheme IMO.

The interviewers next question should have been one of these:

"So, if you pick a color that is trendy in 2009, how soon should we expect the next uniform change?"

or

"I didn't realize the Dolphins franchise started in the 90's."

or

"Is it important to separate yourself from the Marlins' history which included 2 championships?"

or

"Are you familar with consistency in product branding?"

Archived