2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buckeyes win...barely. OK that was a little closer than I wanted it. Great effort by Navy. Honestly, it wouldn't have ruined my day if Navy pulled out the win. (It's not like Ohio State is going to win the NC or anything.) I love it when a service academy pulls an upset. That said, I'm still glad they'll have to wait until Louisiana Tech or Pitt to do it now. They sure are fun to watch. I love that triple option.

Oh and this just in...USC is going to hang 50 on The Buckeyes next saturday.

I'd like to take the opportunity to publicly denounce the Big Ten Network for not switching away from Purdue-Toledo to the Iowa game.

Also, the Big Ten just dodged another a pair of bullets. I think the season's supply of luck is going to be burned in Week 1.

And again to BTN, :censored: you. That Purdue-Toledo fracas is over. There is no reason to not switch to the Iowa game.

I'd like to take the opportunity to publicly denounce the Big Ten Network for not switching away from Purdue-Toledo to the Iowa game.

Also, the Big Ten just dodged another bullet. I think the season's supply of luck is going to be burned in Week 1.

With the BTN, you know you love Charles Davis' assent to the elite of announcers. CD all the time!

Buckeyes win...barely. OK that was a little closer than I wanted it. Great effort by Navy. Honestly, it wouldn't have ruined my day if Navy pulled out the win. (It's not like Ohio State is going to win the NC or anything.) I love it when a service academy pulls an upset. That said, I'm still glad they'll have to wait until Louisiana Tech or Pitt to do it now. They sure are fun to watch. I love that triple option.

Oh and this just in...USC is going to hang 50 on The Buckeyes next saturday.

Never say fifty. The greatness of Barry Switzer used to say "half a hundred". Use that now.

The first week of College Football reminding me of the 3 biggest rule pet peeves I have.

1. The down without contact

2. The clock stopping on first down

3. The awful OT format.

How can anybody hate that :D

Well after Paulus' only interception of the day.... <_<

Well, at least the Doug Marrone era is off to a decent start. Only 2 minutes away from winning that. Too bad next week we get our asses destroyed by Penn State in Happy Valley

The first week of College Football reminding me of the 3 biggest rule pet peeves I have.

3. The awful OT format.

The College rules are terrible. I like the NFL's sudden death much better. The college rules remove the importance of special teams by just putting the ball at the 25. Diminishes the importance of defense by giving a team a mulligan for failing on defense. To sum up the college game artificially inflates score while also removing important aspects of the game.

I don't know why many people have a problem with the NFL overtime. Football isn't like baseball where you can't score while on defense and can't instantly take possession. A defense can score on a safety or by returning a interception or a fumble. And even if you don't score on one of those a defense can take possession with a in or fumble recovery and if they do a good job on both defense and special teams that can set their offense up with an instant opportunity to win. The idea that the coin flip decides the game is a myth. If you start out on defense then stop the other team. Not only that but if you lose the coin flip and want to start on offense you can always try a on-side kick.

I like the importance that all aspects of the game have in the pro game.

3. The awful OT format.

Three great reasons why college football is so much better than The NFL. :D

This is football in general, but I can't stand it when there's a fumble, and players on both teams try to signal to the refs that it's their ball. Put your damn hands down and let the refs make the ruling!

This is football in general, but I can't stand it when there's a fumble, and players on both teams try to signal to the refs that it's their ball. Put your damn hands down and let the refs make the ruling!

Yeah that'll happen right after all NFL players just hand the ball to the official after scoring a touchdown. :D

So...this is Kirk Ferentz's last year in Iowa City, right?

Seadragon, does UNI have a commercial like

so as to properly loop and laugh at Iowa with?

Nope. Unlike Appy State, UNI does their talking on the field, although I think (and you probably do as well) that Iowa dodged a Appalanchian State-like bullet today. Hell, My first thought when UNI tried the second field goal was 'No way in hell is that going to get blocked again'. Needless to say, they made me look dumb.

But, Iowa was outplayed today. No one can argue that point.

Oh, and will: What game are you watching? Notre Dame is up 28-0 at the half on Nevada. No matter what you say, what the Irish are doing against the feared Nevada Pistol is worth something. Although, I do wish Lou Holtz would stop drinking the Golden Domer flavored Kool-Aid. <_<

3. The awful OT format.

The College rules are terrible. I like the NFL's sudden death much better. The college rules remove the importance of special teams by just putting the ball at the 25. Diminishes the importance of defense by giving a team a mulligan for failing on defense. To sum up the college game artificially inflates score while also removing important aspects of the game.

I don't know why many people have a problem with the NFL overtime. Football isn't like baseball where you can't score while on defense and can't instantly take possession. A defense can score on a safety or by returning a interception or a fumble. And even if you don't score on one of those a defense can take possession with a in or fumble recovery and if they do a good job on both defense and special teams that can set their offense up with an instant opportunity to win. The idea that the coin flip decides the game is a myth. If you start out on defense then stop the other team. Not only that but if you lose the coin flip and want to start on offense you can always try a on-side kick.

I like the importance that all aspects of the game have in the pro game.

I love sudden death as well. I would say though that if you're going to scrap the coin toss that you should just resume the game. Whoever has the ball wherever they have the ball at the end of the 4th gets it there to start OT. If nobody scores by the end of OT then it's a tie.

I think that only something like 29% of games end on the first OT possession, so it's not like every game ends with the coin toss winner not giving the other team an offensive chance...

So...this is Kirk Ferentz's last year in Iowa City, right?

Seadragon, does UNI have a commercial like

so as to properly loop and laugh at Iowa with?
Nope. Unlike Appy State, UNI does their talking on the field, although I think (and you probably do as well) that Iowa dodged a Appalanchian State-like bullet today. Hell, My first thought when UNI tried the second field goal was 'No way in hell is that going to get blocked again'. Needless to say, they made me look dumb.

But, Iowa was outplayed today. No one can argue that point.

Oh, and will: What game are you watching? Notre Dame is up 28-0 at the half on Nevada. No matter what you say, what the Irish are doing against the feared Nevada Pistol is worth something. Although, I do wish Lou Holtz would stop drinking the Golden Domer flavored Kool-Aid. <_<

Hell, you're drinking the Notre Dame Kool-Aid, giving them credit like that!

Gabbert is looking calm and cool in the pocket but still a whole half for Juice to turn loose.

I just turned the game on. Would I be correct in assuming that Illinois decided to stay in last year's "Mr. Hyde mode?"

--------------------------------------------------

Will, not everyone can be Boise State

Archived