2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

edit

Yeah, this is a ridiculous reaction, but you've gotta look at a couple things that this passionate fan base has on our minds. The man said during his infamous first press conference several lines like "I want to be here for a long time. I'm tired of moving. I've moved 17 times." Oh, and don't forget he named his son KNOX. This is a man that gave us every ounce of commitment, and has now proven Certified Ass Clown Al Davis exactly right.

Believe me, I'm not proud of the people blocks away from me burning mattresses, chanting his home address, and painting the rock, all in the freakin freezing cold. But we've been screwed. There's not a worse time of year for this to happen.

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tennessee basketball player Renaldo Woolridge's eyewitness account of the craziness that is happening on campus right now...Link

Just as everyone suspected, the students & fans are PISSED. Apparently Kiffin just had some sort of meeting at the Tennessee football complex, which had to have police guard the building. Fans chanting ":censored: YOU KIFFIN!" & his home address, COPS TEAR GASSED THE CROWD & some chased his car down the road as he left Tennessee, probably for the last time. Also the number of people involved is in the thousands. This may be the first time a coaching change has caused a near-riot.

So yeah, to say that Tennessee supporters are pissed would actually be an understatement.

So would saying that they are dumb as hell.

Pretty much. I could understand if this was some legendary coach that just decided to jump ship out of the blue...but to start a riot over Lane Kiffin? A little much.

UT fans share their feelings on the rock or whatever they call it. (NSFW)

Ahahahahaha one of the comments on that site;

'Seattle: "I got Pete Carroll!"

USC: "I got Lane Kiffin!"

Tennessee: "I got a rock.'

But seriously, what a tool

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

And this is the reason I always root against SEC teams. Some people take football WAY too seriously.

I dunno, I think a football related fan riot at Indiana might actually get a commitment to fielding a winner out of the athletic department.

Folks always joke about fans burning down the stadium. Is it actually going to happen this time?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Believe me, I'm not proud of the people blocks away from me burning mattresses, chanting his home address, and painting the rock, all in the freakin freezing cold. But we've been screwed. There's not a worse time of year for this to happen.

I assume classes just started this week in Knoxville as well.

Yeah...idle hands are the devil's workshop. Or in this case, the devil's riotous underclassmen.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I assume classes just started this week in Knoxville as well.

Yeah...idle hands are the devil's workshop. Or in this case, the devil's riotous underclassmen.

They happen to start tomorrow morning. Which, yes, means everbody's- as late as today- getting in from a month in the house with the parents. By "worst time of year" I was referring to recruiting, but yeah.

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

Gee.....getting rid of Fulmer is really starting to look like a bad choice, huh?

WOW.

If I were a Tennessee fan, I would be PISSED OFF. Seriously, turns out Al Davis was right (!) about Lane Kiffin having no loyalty. I guess him wanting to make Tennessee one of the top powers in the nation only lasted until the USC job came open...lmao @ this. Wow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4820737

No doubt about it. And I have to wonder why a guy would leave Tennessee for USC with the current climate at USC being what it is. It's not like Kiffin left Middle Tennessee State for the USC job. Tennessee may not be quite as prestigious as USC but it's not exactly coaching in the shadows either. I'd think Tennessee is at least a top 15 job in college football. Maybe top ten.

Tennessee's not as glorious a job as you think. You have to be a helluvah recruiter, as Tennessee isn't exactly loaded in high school recruits. They have to be competitive for years to steal high schoolers from Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Texas, and California.

On job appeal alone, I'd place UT behind Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, and LSU...and that's just within the SEC.

Part of the reason Kiffin is headed west has got to be because he realized he's got virtually no chance to win in the SEC win year-in and year-out. Tennessee's gotta battle with tyrants like Florida, Bama and LSU to land the top recruits in the south, and on top of that go undefeated against all of them to have any shot at the BCS. On the other hand, Southern Cal can pretty much get the best players on the west coast, and aside from the Oregon team that shows up every other year, the Trojans are almost always a shoe-in for a BCS Bowl. Knowing that, if i were Kiff, I'd bolt for SoCal as well!

Recruiting is the biggest difference between USC and Tennessee. USC's able to pick and choose who they want. Tennessee has to sell themselves to get recruits.

Kiffin could have been sucessful in the SEC. It wouldn't have been busy, but if you win the conference, that tends to put you in a better position for playing for the national championship than being the Pac-10 champion does.

And this is the reason I always root against SEC teams. Some people take football WAY too seriously.

Probably, but every college would love to have their fanbase be as die-hard as those in the SEC.

Besides, there are things everyone takes "way too seriously". For some it's college football, for others it's wrestling, etc.....

That's such a lame cheap shot, and you know it. There are things we're interested in, and then there are things we riot in the streets for. Forms of entertainment, in my view, should not be riot-worthy.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Tennessee's not as glorious a job as you think. You have to be a helluvah recruiter, as Tennessee isn't exactly loaded in high school recruits. They have to be competitive for years to steal high schoolers from Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Texas, and California.

On job appeal alone, I'd place UT behind Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, and LSU...and that's just within the SEC.

OK maybe not top 10 but it's still a pretty good gig. I'd still say it is top 15.

These are what I think the top 14 "prestige" jobs would be (in no particular order)

Notre Dame

Florida State

Florida

Georgia

Alabama

Auburn

LSU

Texas

Oklahoma

Ohio State

Michigan

Penn State

USC

Miami

I think an argument could be made that Tennessee could be added to that list.

BB52Big.jpg

Lane Kiffin

Monte Kiffin

Ed Orgeron

Norm Chow

All at USC?

As a USC fan, this is probably the best thing that could have happened.

Everything that USC had with Pete Carroll when they won their national titles and a Monte Kiffin defense.

I love this move.

Maybe things won't be so bad (unless those NCAA violations do come out of the dark).

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Lane Kiffin

Monte Kiffin

Ed Orgeron

Norm Chow

All at USC?

Everything that USC had with Pete Carroll when they won their national titles and a Monte Kiffin defense.

I love this move.

Maybe things won't be so bad (unless those NCAA violations do come out of the dark).

Until Kiffin bolts again for another better gig at least. If I were you I'd hope that Urban Meyer stays put. So far, it doesn't look like there's an NCAA storm cloud brewing over Gainesville. What happens if the NCAA slaps the daylights out of USC, Meyer does hit the road, and all of a sudden The University of Florida thinks Lane Kiffin may do a good job for them? Stranger things have happened. Just ask Tennessee fans.

Just saying... :D

BB52Big.jpg

Lane Kiffin

Monte Kiffin

Ed Orgeron

Norm Chow

All at USC?

I love this move.

In sports, there is little success in "bringin' the band back together" in whatever form.

You still have Lane calling plays (since he seems arrogant enough to still do it after going 5-15 in the NFL and 7-6 in the NCAA as a head coach). In public life, there are a handful of people who got promoted from having this little success.

Even though your DC taught Pete the "Tampa 2", he will turn 70 in a month. 70! Jim Harbaugh's dad was the RB coach at Stanford this year at the same age, but dang, we don't credit him for Toby for becoming Toby, do we?

There is no guarantee that Chow can repeat his success just by being Norm Chow. Plus, Norm is 63.

Ed O is an asst. coach at beat who failed at Mississippi and has a string of digressions as a coach which started at Miami.

Lane is young enough to survive any sanctions and still have the vigor (they think) to still coach well after the storm. They will pay him to survive it as they are the only game in town.

He's Vince Dooley's son. As an aside, Derek eerily looks a lot like his dad.

He's not new to football life in the SEC. In addition to being groomed by his father, he spent a few seasons with Saban at LSU.

But it also shows just exactly where Tennessee's football program is at right now. The likes of Will Muschamp and Jon Gruden turned down the job. Hell, David Cutcliffe chose to stay at Duke over returning to Knoxville....

He's Vince Dooley's son. As an aside, Derek eerily looks a lot like his dad.

He's not new to football life in the SEC. In addition to being groomed by his father, he spent a few seasons with Saban at LSU.

But it also shows just exactly where Tennessee's football program is at right now. The likes of Will Muschamp and Jon Gruden turned down the job. Hell, David Cutcliffe chose to stay at Duke over returning to Knoxville....

Dooley was also the AD at LaTech. But one condition of employment was to retain the current football staff who did not take off to USC. That condition had to be the turnoff for any major coach.

That's such a lame cheap shot, and you know it. There are things we're interested in, and then there are things we riot in the streets for. Forms of entertainment, in my view, should not be riot-worthy.

There's a big difference. At most SEC Schools (UGA, Auburn, Alabama, Florida, MSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas) the University is not only the main employer, but it is also the lifeblood of the entire town. When football is down, the city economy is down.

At least UT and Vandy are in metro areas, UK, Carolina, and LSU has State governments to support the city.

It's more than that though, Football Saturdays are rights of passage and a true blessings when you attend one of these schools.

When something like this happens, and you attend one of these schools, it can ruin one of the greatest experiences of your life. Why? Because someone bolted after one year. He lied to your team and made a mockery of the school you've devoted a huge portion of your life to. The repercussions (hopefully) will only be felt for a year.

If I was a junior at UT? I'd do more than be rioting. Lane Kiffin has probably just ruined my senior year.

Derek Dooley is pure scum! He absolutely screwed Louisiana Tech at the worst possible time! How could he do that? You know there were tons of kids that made their decision solely based on his false promises of being there for their entire careers and this S.O.B. just ran off in the middle of the night to chase more money! Now what are those kids supposed to do? They can't just up and follow him to Tennessee, they're not good enough to play there! This bastard wouldn't even have any job if not for his daddy! What has this guy ever done? He didn't even have a winning record at LaTech!

:P

Yep, and it sounded just as stupid when people said the same (and worse) about Lane "Violation" Kiffin.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The only difference is that Dooley never said he wanted to be at LA Tech for a long time, he also never committed secondary violations, or tried to change a lot of LA Tech's Traditions.

All things Kiffin Did.

Oh, and Dooley's assistants aren't still hanging around Tech like Kiffin's are still hanging around UT.

Archived