2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

Yet you keep forgetting that Notre Dame isn't in a conference, Will. Many teams back in the day were Independents before finding a conference to call home.

Just because Notre Dame doesn't have a football conference to call home doesn't mean they cannot compete for a possible National Championship.

I don't think you'd be complaining in that situation, I know you can't stand Notre Dame. You'd love seeing 11-1 USC versus 11-1 Michigan as a National title game, and seeing 12-0 Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl. Just because Notre Dame has a small group of rabid fans doesn't mean that the vast majority of the country would want to see them in the title game. They'd rather see USC v Michigan.

LvZYtbZ.png

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Irish need to play better than that. Their national championship hopes dashed, they now probably need to win out to reach the Gator Bowl.

While I really do appreciate your insanity Will,

I would love seeing 11-1 USC v 11-1 Michigan in the NCG. Notre Dame would fit perfectly in the Gator Bowl at 12-0 if that happens. Let's face it, Notre Dame can't be one of the best teams in the nation if they don't win their conference - very important thing.

As I was saying... :D

BB52Big.jpg

Here's the difference here. Oklahoma can afford to lose and still make it to the BCS. Notre Dame, even without a loss, can't make the BCS.

If Notre Dame goes undefeated, they'll be in a BCS game. They're the most popular and prestigious college football team in the country?even when they're absolutely atrocious?and that by itself will get them a high enough ranking in the polls?provide they're undefeated, mind you? to nab an at-large bid to a BCS bowl.

Sigs are for sissies.

Here's the difference here. Oklahoma can afford to lose and still make it to the BCS. Notre Dame, even without a loss, can't make the BCS.

If Notre Dame goes undefeated, they'll be in a BCS game. They're the most popular and prestigious college football team in the country?even when they're absolutely atrocious?and that by itself will get them a high enough ranking in the polls?provide they're undefeated, mind you? to nab an at-large bid to a BCS bowl.

Never mind undefeated, Notre Dame is in a BCS Bowl if they go 10-2. Ohio State got a BCS bid last year at 10-2 and they aren't the media darlings Notre Dame is. Why we all continue to argue with Will about this every season is anyone's guess. It's the same argument every year, it's pointless, and he does it just because he knows we'll take the bait. Yet here we are year after year having the exact same argument we had with him the previous season.

BB52Big.jpg

Never mind undefeated, Notre Dame is in a BCS Bowl if they go 10-2. Ohio State got a BCS bid last year at 10-2 and they aren't the media darlings Notre Dame is. Why we all continue to argue with Will about this every season is anyone's guess. It's the same argument every year, it's pointless, and he does it just because he knows we'll take the bait. Yet here we are year after year having the exact same argument we had with him the previous season.
But OSU is in a conference, Notre Dame isn't. You do the math. Notre Dame, aside of Michigan and USC, does not play anyone of consequence - they won't get in.

LvZYtbZ.png

Is it too early to call ACC Football "A cute little story"?

Georgia Tech, Boston College, Clemson, and North Carolina won their games with relative ease. However:

-Wake Forest lost to Baylor at home.

-Duke lost to Richmond at home.

-Virginia lost to William & Mary at home.

-Maryland is currently losing by 31 at California.

-NC State and Virginia Tech lost to SEC teams, but that was expected.

Badgers and Buckeyes looked alright today. NIU gave the Badgers quite a run and scare. Navy held on with OS, but gave it away at the end. Can't speak for Michigan or the rest, we'll see. A ton of promos for TCF Bank Stadium during the Wisconsin game tonight on BTN. I am actually quite impressed with what I saw. More outdoor football in the northern part of the country. The stadium looks pretty good too. Maybe it's from seeing way too many on TV from the "heftydome."

Hopefully Big{11}TEN football is on an upswing again.

packchampionslfroh.png

Badgers and Buckeyes looked alright today. NIU gave the Badgers quite a run and scare. Navy held on with OS, but gave it away at the end. Can't speak for Michigan or the rest, we'll see. A ton of promos for TCF Bank Stadium during the Wisconsin game tonight on BTN. I am actually quite impressed with what I saw. More outdoor football in the northern part of the country. The stadium looks pretty good too. Maybe it's from seeing way too many on TV from the "heftydome."

Illinois didn't help that cause, either did Iowa well almost.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

We're you watching the same Buckeye team I was watching? :D If they play against USC the way they played today, last year's USC game is going to look good by comparison. They looked pretty rough today. I'm not knocking Navy at all. They played a great game but it never should have been as close as it was. We can thank coach Tressel for that.

A lot of people will say that Tressel's decision to go for it on 4th down and failing is what turned the tide in that game. I disagree. The Buckeyes were looking pretty good on offense in the second quarter. Then for some reason Tressel decides it's time to get Joe f-ing Bauserman some playing time. The offense's rhythm was disrupted and they weren't able to get it back together after that. Tressel wanted to get Bauserman some actual game time in case something happens to Pryor. I get that but I got news for coach sweater vest, if something happens to Pryor it's all over whether Joe Bauserman gets playing time or not. I just don't think the second quarter of first game of the year is the ideal time to give your back-up QB some playing time. If it's really necessary then put him in when the game is well in hand. Navy is too good a team to start screwing around the way Tressel did today and it almost cost him the game.

What I am about to say probably amounts to heresy in Buckeye Nation but...I don't think Tressel is anywhere near the great coach people think he is. Pete Carroll will drive that point home next Saturday night.

On Michigan, I watched some of their game and they look a lot better than they did last season. They looked more comfortable on offense. I don't think Michigan fans need to worry about going 3-9 again this season. They're going to be tough. I am looking forward to seeing them against Notre Dame next week.

BB52Big.jpg

Weird day for the Big Ten. Going 10-1 with only a loss to Mizzou is decent on the surface, but Iowa was lucky. Minnesota looked bad. Ohio State looked bad. Wisconsin looked good for three quarters and let NIU back in. Overall, I'd say the conference did not look great.

I work a quarter mile from TCF Stadium and live about a mile away. It's very nice. Well done.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Duke Football is pathetic, they lose all the time to these 1-AA teams.

Just like your thoughts on records.

If as august a source as ESPN the magazine doesn't have records that match out evenly, why should Tank?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived