2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

Is it too early to call ACC Football "A cute little story"?

Georgia Tech, Boston College, Clemson, and North Carolina won their games with relative ease. However:

-Wake Forest lost to Baylor at home.

-Duke lost to Richmond at home.

-Virginia lost to William & Mary at home.

-Maryland is currently losing by 31 at California.

-NC State and Virginia Tech lost to SEC teams, but that was expected.

Hey! Indiana just might win another game this year.

Badgers and Buckeyes looked alright today. NIU gave the Badgers quite a run and scare. Navy held on with OS, but gave it away at the end. Can't speak for Michigan or the rest, we'll see. A ton of promos for TCF Bank Stadium during the Wisconsin game tonight on BTN. I am actually quite impressed with what I saw. More outdoor football in the northern part of the country. The stadium looks pretty good too. Maybe it's from seeing way too many on TV from the "heftydome."

Hopefully Big{11}TEN football is on an upswing again.

Weird day for the Big Ten. Going 10-1 with only a loss to Mizzou is decent on the surface, but Iowa was lucky. Minnesota looked bad. Ohio State looked bad. Wisconsin looked good for three quarters and let NIU back in. Overall, I'd say the conference did not look great.

I work a quarter mile from TCF Stadium and live about a mile away. It's very nice. Well done.

And as I went on about over and over again, Indiana also got lucky against a I-AA team.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BYU beats Oklahoma 14-13

I taped the game and just finished watching it. I have to say that even with Sam Bradford in the game, BYU's defense looked good. I know a lot of people will point out the youth of Oklahoma's O-line, but BYU had similar programs. I think what we saw here was a game between two really good defenses. I'm one who hates rematches in bowl games, but I wouldn't mind and we could very easily see a rematch of these two teams in the Fiesta Bowl.

Georgia Tech, Boston College, Clemson, and North Carolina won their games with relative ease. However:

Compare that to the Big East going 5-1 (with the one loss being an OT loss and being, well, my school on top of that <_<) in non-conference games over the weekend. Though I guess in defense the ACC has a few stronger teams at the top than the Big East, plus the VT loss wasn't too bad considering it's #5 vs. #7.

Oh, and on a related but unrelated note, Temple isn't even the best football school in Philadelphia. They lost to Villanova, a FCS school, the other night. Better luck against Penn if you schedule them?

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Here's the difference here. Oklahoma can afford to lose and still make it to the BCS. Notre Dame, even without a loss, can't make the BCS.

If Notre Dame goes undefeated, they'll be in a BCS game. They're the most popular and prestigious college football team in the country?even when they're absolutely atrocious?and that by itself will get them a high enough ranking in the polls?provide they're undefeated, mind you? to nab an at-large bid to a BCS bowl.

Never mind undefeated, Notre Dame is in a BCS Bowl if they go 10-2. Ohio State got a BCS bid last year at 10-2 and they aren't the media darlings Notre Dame is. Why we all continue to argue with Will about this every season is anyone's guess. It's the same argument every year, it's pointless, and he does it just because he knows we'll take the bait. Yet here we are year after year having the exact same argument we had with him the previous season.

I completely agree. And i joined last april so i wasn't here for last year's college football season, but your telling me you have this notre dame argument every year? Will, are you serious? if ND goes 12-0 they're in the title game, without a doubt. and as infrared said, they're in a BCS game at 10-2 .

glossysig5.png

Terrell Pryor quote on why he had "Vick" on his eye blacks:

"Not everybody’s the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever."

2:30 of this clip...

:rolleyes:

Yup. That's our starting QB here in Buckeye Nation. I bet you all wish your QB was as deep and philosophical as Terelle. Makes a person proud to be a Buckeye.

And let's not forget these immortal words when Terelle announced where he was going to college. "I am going to attend The University of Ohio State."

BB52Big.jpg

"Not everybody?s the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever."

Yup. That's our starting QB here in Buckeye Nation. I bet you all wish your QB was as deep and philosophical as Terelle. Makes a person proud to be a Buckeye.

And let's not forget these immortal words when Terelle announced where he was going to college. "I am going to attend The University of Ohio State."

He's still the best player in the BigTen. Some of the idiotic Michigan fans on the Michigan forums are saying "I'm so glad we didn't get TP." or "I wouldn't trade either Forcier or Robinson for Pryor." Good gracious, the kid may not be sharpest knife in the drawer, but the kid has a chance to be the most dynamic college QB since Vince Young... I'd give up half the team for him to maize and blue.

And on a completely separate note, here in South Bend the "Jimmy Clausen for Heisman" campaign is starting up... I'm just really hoping that Michigan shows the same fire next week that they showed against Western.

And did anyone else see Gerald McCoy completely dominate BYU's offensive line last night? Kid is a stud.

Mississippi State - 45

Jackson State - 7

This may seem like your old run-of-the-mill SEC team beating up on a cupcake...but considering the fact that 1) 45 points is the most points they've scored since 2002 i.e. more than anything that they scored in the Croom Era & 2) this is the same school that lost AT HOME TO MAINE, I'm kinda excited about the Mullen Era. Hopefully the excitement is warranted when they go to the Plains next week.

"Not everybody’s the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever."

He's still the best player in the BigTen. Some of the idiotic Michigan fans on the Michigan forums are saying "I'm so glad we didn't get TP." or "I wouldn't trade either Forcier or Robinson for Pryor." Good gracious, the kid may not be sharpest knife in the drawer, but the kid has a chance to be the most dynamic college QB since Vince Young... I'd give up half the team for him to maize and blue.

And on a completely separate note, here in South Bend the "Jimmy Clausen for Heisman" campaign is starting up... I'm just really hoping that Michigan shows the same fire next week that they showed against Western.

And did anyone else see Gerald McCoy completely dominate BYU's offensive line last night? Kid is a stud.

I definitely wouldn't give up half the team for him to be maize and blue, and I am perfectly fine with Tate and Denard now. Last year, I probably would have given up half the team for him, but Tate and Denard are not bad at all. Not to mention we have the #1 QB in the country coming in next year, in Devin Gardner, who has also been compared to Young and Pryor. From quotes and interviews I have heard, he also seems like a much better person. It hurt when Pryor signed with Ohio State, but the more I see and hear of him, and the more I see of Tate and Denard, the less I care.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Just throwing this out as a proposal...

Why not let the Big Ten add, say, Notre Dame and one other school, and play a full round robin football schedule? It would solve a lot of problems!

However, the one problem it would not solve is your absolute lunacy. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

"Not everybody?s the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever."

I was mostly joking when I wrote that. Don't get me wrong, I think Terelle is great and I love the fact that he's at Ohio State. I don't know if it's so much that he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer as much as it's simply that he's only 19. We tend to forget how young a college sophomore really is. He's 19 and he's in the national spotlight at one of the most recognizable (note that I didn't say prestigious or best :D ) college football programs in the country. That's a tough gig under any circumstances. To expect a 19 year old to pull it off without an occasional gaffe is just silly. Terelle is a great player and he'll get better with the media as he gets older.

You seem reasonable enough for a Michigan fan. :D Why are you wasting your time at the Michigan forums? It's been my experience that 99% of the fans at "team forums" are complete idiots. You don't fit the mold.

BB52Big.jpg

Compare that to the Big East going 5-1 (with the one loss being an OT loss and being, well, my school on top of that <_<) in non-conference games over the weekend. Though I guess in defense the ACC has a few stronger teams at the top than the Big East, plus the VT loss wasn't too bad considering it's #5 vs. #7.

Oh, and on a related but unrelated note, Temple isn't even the best football school in Philadelphia. They lost to Villanova, a FCS school, the other night. Better luck against Penn if you schedule them?

No, Temple is the best football school in Philadelphia.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

OK...isn't the best football school in metro Philadelphia.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Conversely, Villanova may not be the best football school in metro Philadelphia... I think technically, since New Castle County Delaware is part of the combined statistical area for Philadelphia, making the University of Delaware Blue Hens the best team in metro Philadelphia.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I was mostly joking when I wrote that. Don't get me wrong, I think Terelle is great and I love the fact that he's at Ohio State. I don't know if it's so much that he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer as much as it's simply that he's only 19. We tend to forget how young a college sophomore really is. He's 19 and he's in the national spotlight at one of the most recognizable (note that I didn't say prestigious or best :D ) college football programs in the country. That's a tough gig under any circumstances. To expect a 19 year old to pull it off without an occasional gaffe is just silly. Terelle is a great player and he'll get better with the media as he gets older.

You seem reasonable enough for a Michigan fan. :D Why are you wasting your time at the Michigan forums? It's been my experience that 99% of the fans at "team forums" are complete idiots. You don't fit the mold.

Well thank you... I try to stay as objective as possible, though I don't always succeed... (see this year's Stanley Cup Finals)

Oh, I understood the humor... I just wanted to add on how delusional some fans can be. Though, I don't agree with you on giving him a free pass because he's 19. I just turned 20, and while I'm by no means a genius, I do know how to (1) use proper grammar, and (2) think about what I am saying before I say it.

And I go on team boards to fresh up on news, rumors, injuries, recruiting, etc... not for conversing with meat heads. Even here, I have only 700 posts in 3 years or something like that... I usually only post when I feel I have something to add to the conversation (something a few of the members here could take a page from)...

Conversely, Villanova may not be the best football school in metro Philadelphia... I think technically, since New Castle County Delaware is part of the combined statistical area for Philadelphia, making the University of Delaware Blue Hens the best team in metro Philadelphia.

Really? I think Villanova is a threat to win the national championship this year. The Delaware/Villy game should be a good one, but I don't see the Hens beating the Wildcats unless Devlin is a Joe Flacco clone.

On another note, if App could have just sustained one drive in the first quarter we might have pulled off the upset of ECU. We played great in the second half (outscored them 17-2), but just couldn't pull out the upset. A star was born with Tavaris Cadet's gritty performance - it wasn't an outstanding stat day or anything, but he made some great throws on the run and pounded the ball up the middle. He honestly looked like a bigger Armanti (who was going nuts on the sideline during the comeback).

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Archived