2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

Time for me to introduce the first ever Seadragon's CFB Recap...

ACC

Winner of the Week: Clemson. Yep. The ACC stunk massively this weekend, and even though three other teams won (UNC, Boston College and Georgia Tech), Clemson was the only one to have the balls to face a 1-A school. Now, I'm going to assume someone is going to pop up and say 'But Seadragon, Clemson played a Sun Belt school.' I. Don't. Care. Clemson was the only school to win against 1-A competition this week and therefore, wins this award by default.

Loser of the Week: Two ACC schools lost to 1-AA teams this weekend. While everyone here knows that Duke sucks massive amounts of ass in football and Richmond is the defending 1-AA champion, there is no excuse for the pitiful showing that Virginia gave against William and Mary. The Cavs needed to win this game before one third of the Mountain West's BCS Buster Trio comes strolling in. Now, instead of a possible good game between TCU and Virginia, the Horned Frogs are going to embarass the hell out of the Wahoos.

Next Week: The aformentioned TCU-Virginia clash is huge in terms of saving face for the embattled conference. Before that game, we have Georgia Tech facing Clemson in a conference tilt on Thursday night.

Big East

Winner of the Week: Even though they don't play until later today, the winner of the Cincinnati-Rutgers game will give the winner the opening edge in the conference race. After today, neither team will get back into Big East play until mid-October, so that game is huge.

Loser of the Week: Poor, poor Syracuse. They finally get some good news with Greg Paulus jumping in at QB and they gave Minnesota one hell of a fight before Paulus throws a pick in OT. It's a tough loss, but they better get over it quickly.

Next Week: Syracuse rolls into Happy Valley; West Virginia gets a chance for payback and South Florida earns a somewhat dubious distinction: Being the first BCS school to travel to Western Kentucky.

Big Ten

Winner of the Week: Who else but Michigan? All week long, all everyone heard was how Rich Rodriguez was a bad choice for the next coach, the absymal 3-9 season last year, the supposed rule violations. All of that was thrown out the window thanks to their impressive freshman starters in a big win over Western Michigan. Will what happened here translate into something bigger? Who knows...

Loser of the Week: Pick your poison, folks. Iowa deserves some mention for it's piss-poor performance against Northern Iowa. Indiana had to survive against a plucky Eastern Kentucky team. Ohio State nearly gave away it's tune-up game against Navy. But, the big loser is Illinois after getting crushed under the Dome against Mizzu. That was ugly for the Illini fans. Thankfully, they return home to face a 1-AA team this week.

Next Week: Two massive games are on tap for the Big Ten as Ohio State hosts USC in a potential revenge game and Michigan takes on Notre Dame in a game of reborn powers. Also of note, the high flying Boilermakers of Purdue head out west to face an Oregon team that's been through a rough time as of late.

Big 12

Winner of the Week: It's been a long time since Baylor has done anything of note on the gridiron. But, their win over Wake Forest has given the Bears a chance at something they never would of seen in the past 15 seasons: An unbeaten OoC schedule. For a school that has been the butt of all jokes in this conference, this has to be a grand moment.

Loser of Week: It's not fair to say that I put Oklahoma here because they lost Sam Bradford. Don't get me wrong, the guy is great at QB, but the team just fell apart against BYU after he went down with a shoulder injury. It was like they became a pumpkin after the clock hit Midnight in the story of Cinderella.

Next Week: Not much to note, except a rare oddity as three of the schools in the Big 12 head to Mid-Major schools (Kansas at UTEP; K-State at UL-Lafayette and Texas at Wyoming).

Mountain West

Winner of the Week: Three letters: B.Y.U. What the Cougars did was huge in terms of showing the College Football world that the Mountain West is here to stay. Granted, there was an unfortunate injury to Oklahoma's stud QB, but don't let that take away what BYU did in Arlington.

Loser of the Week: Only two teams lost in the opening weekend. San Diego State and New Mexico. Take a guess as to who did worst? If you say the Aztecs.... BZZZT! WRONG! The Lobos were crushed by Texas A&M 41-6. I know it's a new coach there, but I thought the Lobos were better then that.

Next Week: More chances for the Mountain West to keep crowing as Air Force, TCU, UNLV and Wyoming play BCS schools (With UNLV and Wyoming hosting two of those games even).

Pac-10

Winner of the Week: Cal. Plain and simple. Last year, the Sturdy Golden Bears fell victim to the upset bug in Maryland, no help to the early 9 am Pacific Time start. This year, the Terps made the trip out west and got mauled in Strawberry Canyon. It's a good time for one to be a Cal fan.

Loser of the Week: Oregon earns what might be the easiest LotW award so far, and for two obvious reasons: Their piss poor showing on the Blue Turf and the actions of LaGarette Blount, who basically did a dick move by sucker punching the Boise State player. Look, the guy talked smack and even you aren't supposed to do that, you just don't go up and sucker punch him for that, and that doesn't include Blount nearly doing a damn close impersonation of Ron Artest circa 2006 with the Boise fans. Now, Blount is done for the year and here comes Purdue roaring into Autzen Stadium and coming off an impressive offensive showing against Toledo. This has the makings of being an ugly game and an ugly season for the Ducks.

Next Week: I've mention Purdue at Oregon... Let's see, there's UCLA at Tennessee in Lane Kiffin's first test... Wazzu hosts Hawaii in Seattle for their yearly poisoning of Qwest Field... Oh yeah, that little game in Columbus between USC and Ohio State.

SEC

Winner of the Week: Stop me if this sounds familar... Alabama opened last season in Atlanta against an ACC school in Clemson. The Crimson Tide won easily and rolled to a 12-0 record before falling apart in the final two games. Meanwhile, Clemson couldn't recover and fired their coach halfway through last season. Again, the scene seems all two familar. Alabama opens in Atlanta against an ACC school. This time, it's Virginia Tech that takes the role of the whooped. Now, will the story play out the same way as last season did for the Crimson Tide? Who knows...

Loser of the Week: Much like Oklahoma, it's not really fair to say Georgia was put here because they lost to a damn good Oklahoma State team. They played well in a hostile enviroment, and that's no lie. Let's see if they can use what they learned as they host South Carolina.

Next Week: Conference play gets an early start with three games (South Carolina at Georgia, Mississippi State at Aubrn and Vanderbilt at LSU) and Tennessee gets it's first test in UCLA.

Mid-Majors

Winner of the Week: Boise State ran with this one. What they did against Oregon was huge for them and their BCS hopes was huge. What the Broncos do from here on out will show weather they are BCS worthy or just a pretender to the throne.

Loser of the Week: Someone has to pick on the newbie, and it might as well be me. Sorry, Western Kentucky fans. What the Hilltoppers did at Tennessee was horrific at best. You guys are a 1-A school now, this kind of thing just isn't acceptable anymore.

Next Week: Same old crap, different day for most of the Mid-Majors, but there are a few Mid-Major clashes as Boise State hosts Miami of Ohio, Ohio goes to North Texas and Middle Tennessee hosts Memphis.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SEC

Winner of the Week: Stop me if this sounds familar... Alabama opened last season in Atlanta against an ACC school in Clemson. The Crimson Tide won easily and rolled to a 12-0 record before falling apart in the final two games. Meanwhile, Clemson couldn't recover and fired their coach halfway through last season. Again, the scene seems all two familar. Alabama opens in Atlanta against an ACC school. This time, it's Virginia Tech that takes the role of the whooped. Now, will the story play out the same way as last season did for the Crimson Tide? Who knows...

Loser of the Week: Much like Oklahoma, it's not really fair to say Georgia was put here because they lost to a damn good Oklahoma State team. They played well in a hostile enviroment, and that's no lie. Let's see if they can use what they learned as they host South Carolina.

Alabama looked good Saturday....really good. Scary good. I'm sticking to my prediction of Ole Miss winning the SEC West, but Alabama sure looks to be returning to Atlanta in December. Alabama @ Ole Miss in early October will decide the division.

For Georgia, I was really impressed with the defense. They held Oklahoma State and that high-powered offense to 24 points, and 17 of those points were gift-wrapped. The offense, however, looked timid. When they weren't fumbling the ball away, receivers were dropping passes and Cox wasn't changing plays to counter OSU's defensive alignment the way Stafford did last season.

Is it too early to call ACC Football "A cute little story"?

Georgia Tech, Boston College, Clemson, and North Carolina won their games with relative ease. However:

-Wake Forest lost to Baylor at home.

-Duke lost to Richmond at home.

-Virginia lost to William & Mary at home.

-Maryland is currently losing by 31 at California.

-NC State and Virginia Tech lost to SEC teams, but that was expected.

Compare that to the Big East going 5-1 (with the one loss being an OT loss and being, well, my school on top of that <_<) in non-conference games over the weekend. Though I guess in defense the ACC has a few stronger teams at the top than the Big East, plus the VT loss wasn't too bad considering it's #5 vs. #7.

Oh, and on a related but unrelated note, Temple isn't even the best football school in Philadelphia. They lost to Villanova, a FCS school, the other night. Better luck against Penn if you schedule them?

No, Temple is the best football school in Philadelphia.

OK...isn't the best football school in metro Philadelphia.

Conversely, Villanova may not be the best football school in metro Philadelphia... I think technically, since New Castle County Delaware is part of the combined statistical area for Philadelphia, making the University of Delaware Blue Hens the best team in metro Philadelphia.

Really? I think Villanova is a threat to win the national championship this year. The Delaware/Villy game should be a good one, but I don't see the Hens beating the Wildcats unless Devlin is a Joe Flacco clone.

On another note, if App could have just sustained one drive in the first quarter we might have pulled off the upset of ECU. We played great in the second half (outscored them 17-2), but just couldn't pull out the upset. A star was born with Tavaris Cadet's gritty performance - it wasn't an outstanding stat day or anything, but he made some great throws on the run and pounded the ball up the middle. He honestly looked like a bigger Armanti (who was going nuts on the sideline during the comeback).

Going nuts as in getting everyone pumped up, or geoing nuts as in telling the coaches he should be on the field?

Georgia Tech, Boston College, Clemson, and North Carolina won their games with relative ease. However:

Compare that to the Big East going 5-1 (with the one loss being an OT loss and being, well, my school on top of that <_<) in non-conference games over the weekend. Though I guess in defense the ACC has a few stronger teams at the top than the Big East, plus the VT loss wasn't too bad considering it's #5 vs. #7.

Oh, and on a related but unrelated note, Temple isn't even the best football school in Philadelphia. They lost to Villanova, a FCS school, the other night. Better luck against Penn if you schedule them?

Conversely, Villanova may not be the best football school in metro Philadelphia... I think technically, since New Castle County Delaware is part of the combined statistical area for Philadelphia, making the University of Delaware Blue Hens the best team in metro Philadelphia.

Really? I think Villanova is a threat to win the national championship this year. The Delaware/Villy game should be a good one, but I don't see the Hens beating the Wildcats unless Devlin is a Joe Flacco clone.

On another note, if App could have just sustained one drive in the first quarter we might have pulled off the upset of ECU. We played great in the second half (outscored them 17-2), but just couldn't pull out the upset. A star was born with Tavaris Cadet's gritty performance - it wasn't an outstanding stat day or anything, but he made some great throws on the run and pounded the ball up the middle. He honestly looked like a bigger Armanti (who was going nuts on the sideline during the comeback).

Going nuts as in getting everyone pumped up, or geoing nuts as in telling the coaches he should be on the field?

Getting in and out of the offensive huddles during TV timeouts in sprints with water bottles, running sprints up and down the sideline getting everyone on their feet, personally pulling Cadet to the side giving him pointers. He knows that in the long run that this game means very little in the big picture of the playoffs and winning #4.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Well, Cincinnati looks like the big winner this week in the Big East.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A couple things I've noticed this weekend. In one weekend where Michigan beats Western Michigan and Notre Dame beats Nevada, people are talking about these two teams like you should fear them. Why? They beat teams they should beat at home. So what does that prove? Nothing. What will it prove after this week when the winner wins and the loser loses? Nothing. Notre Dame has a fairly weak schedule and Michigan also has a very soft schedule. If either of these teams played someone, then you could talk, but both of them have K-State type scheduling so they look good on paper, but really they are just average at best. Have some gonads like Boise State or BYU and schedule someone.

I hate to say this, but the other over-hyped match up this weekend, Ohio State vs. USC, is looking a lot like last year. I watched the Ohio State game and I remember the game last year against Ohio where they squeaked by. If you're a Buckeye fan, I'd be dead scared because I can see the same scenario as last year where they struggled in game 1 and got their butts handed to them vs. USC. I do realize that Navy is a decent team, but Ohio State should be throttling them. I wonder how many people are calling for the head of Tressel now. If Tressel loses big to USC, and Ohio State flops in another bowl, he's gone. Ohio State is missing that killer instinct and the Navy game proved that to me.

A couple things I've noticed this weekend. In one weekend where Michigan beats Western Michigan and Notre Dame beats Nevada, people are talking about these two teams like you should fear them. Why? They beat teams they should beat at home. So what does that prove? Nothing. What will it prove after this week when the winner wins and the loser loses? Nothing. Notre Dame has a fairly weak schedule and Michigan also has a very soft schedule. If either of these teams played someone, then you could talk, but both of them have K-State type scheduling so they look good on paper, but really they are just average at best. Have some gonads like Boise State or BYU and schedule someone.

I hate to say this, but the other over-hyped match up this weekend, Ohio State vs. USC, is looking a lot like last year. I watched the Ohio State game and I remember the game last year against Ohio where they squeaked by. If you're a Buckeye fan, I'd be dead scared because I can see the same scenario as last year where they struggled in game 1 and got their butts handed to them vs. USC. I do realize that Navy is a decent team, but Ohio State should be throttling them. I wonder how many people are calling for the head of Tressel now. If Tressel loses big to USC, and Ohio State flops in another bowl, he's gone. Ohio State is missing that killer instinct and the Navy game proved that to me.

I don't know if Michigan is being over-hyped. They have 2 freshman QBs. They beat a mid-to-top level MAC team pretty handily. They have a first year defensive coordinator and have almost no depth on defense. i think you are confusing hype with excitement. Any reasonable Michigan fan doesn't expect them to go 10-2, win the Big 10, and get stomped by USC in the Rose Bowl. However, to say now that a 8-4 season with a possible upset bid over Penn State or Ohio State at home isn't out of the question with a trip to the Gator Bowl.

About Notre Dame... no comment.

I couldn't agree more. Unless I missed something watching the Buckeyes play Navy, I cannot understand how on Earth this team managed a #6 ranking. Am I "scared" going into the game against USC? Nope. More like resigned to the 30 point loss coming our way. A good team does not come out and play the way Ohio State did against Navy. Again, I am not knocking Navy. They are a solid team and that offense of theirs will give anyone fits. But a it should only give a top ten team fits for a little while and not an entire game. By the same token, no top 10 team should be giving up 60 yard TD passes to a team that runs the triple option. And no top ten team should need a last second return of a two point conversion to hold on to beat Navy. This latest Buckeyes team may be the most overrated of all and that's saying something.

I know of one person calling for Tressel's head. Me. And I've been calling for it since last season. Jim Tressel won a title with John Cooper's players. Since then all he's managed to do is beat a bad Notre Dame team in the Fiesta Bowl, hang on (after jumping out to a big lead) to beat Kansas State in the Fiesta Bowl, and beat Oklahoma State in The Alamo Bowl. Hardly a murderer's row of bowl opponents at that the time Ohio State played those teams. Then there's the little matter of how Ohio State has performed against actual powerhouse teams under Tressel. Florida, USC, and LSU made The Buckeyes look silly. They did manage to keep it close against Texas (who was way overrated last season) but still lost. Yes he beats Michigan but let's be honest, Michigan hasn't been "Michigan" for quite a while now. Lloyd Carr was very similar to Tressel. He won a title early and that bought him a lot more time than he probably deserved. Tressel's teams seem to be getting worse every season. He's as overrated as his team is.

Unless the Navy game was some sort of weird aberration, I see this Buckeyes team losing at least three games and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they lost five. I watched quite a few of the top 25 play over the weekend. I have to be honest, I don't think Ohio State could beat any of the Top 25 teams I saw play this weekend. It's going to be a long and frustrating season.

BB52Big.jpg

BYU beats Oklahoma 14-13

As a Ute fan I was really shocked BYU was able to pull this one out. All I can say is that it was a great win for the Mountain West Conference and hopefully the BCS will realize one of these days that this is a legitimate conference that deserves an automatic bid!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Compare that to the Big East going 5-1 (with the one loss being an OT loss and being, well, my school on top of that glare.gif) in non-conference games over the weekend. Though I guess in defense the ACC has a few stronger teams at the top than the Big East, plus the VT loss wasn't too bad considering it's #5 vs. #7.

I don't know anything about college football... I just know that Delaware is usually good, and a guy from my high school is their QB now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I couldn't agree more. Unless I missed something watching the Buckeyes play Navy, I cannot understand how on Earth this team managed a #6 ranking.

They went to a BCS game last year and they're Ohio State. That's how. :P

I don't know anything about college football... I just know that Delaware is usually good, and a guy from my high school is their QB now.

Neither do the rest of us...it doesn't stop us from spouting. Don't let it stop you either! :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Instant classic down in Tallahassee tonight. What a game. Jacory Harris has got to be one of the coolest cats playing QB right now. He looked incredibly calm on that last drive.

So yeah...let's get back to THIS. Since the ACC can't seem to buy no kind of love these days... ;) (and in a lot of ways, rightfully so...)

Of course, I didn't like the end result of that game, being that my Seminoles lost--but at least it the game didn't end up being Wide Right (whatever # they're on). These two teams got out there and got AFTER it. Neither team gave up. Both kept beating up on each other. Both kept coming. One would score; the other would respond. Back and forth...give and take. All the way to the wire. (And if Ponder had thrown that last pass justalilbit higher...)

For a second, I thought I was seeing shades of the 1998 squad out there for FSU (except this team ain't got 13 running backs). Conversely, the Miami team I saw last night reminded me of the Miami teams of days past--serious speed all over the place, and some guy on special teams who just knows how to break a team's spirit AND momentum (Devin Hester, anyone?) Christian Ponder really grew up last night, and if he can hold on to the form I saw last night, he might actually be the first FSU QB I can stand to watch through the entirety of a season since Chris Rix. And speaking of QB's, I don't know what kind of Joe Montana spirit crept up into Jacory Harris last night, but that was most definitely NOT the Jacory Harris I remember from a year ago. Randy Shannon got himself a good one there. But overall, I saw what it is I used to love seeing between Miami and FSU...a level of intensity damn near on par of that of Ravens vs Steelers.

Lovers of college football--hecks, football period--had to love that game. And I'll also say this: that type of game can be a serious tempo-setter for the rest of the season, for both teams. For Miami, it had to give them a confidence boost, being that Randy Shannon's young-ish team could go into the Doak, tussle toe-to-toe with the 'Noles and come out on top. For FSU, they may end up playing angry the rest of the way, especially since they're already down one in the loss column in-conference. I hope they keep that chip on their collective shoulder the rest of the way...bring the same fire, the same heat, the same passion. And though as a 'Nole I shouldn't be allowed to say this, I hope the same for Miami, as well, if for no other reason than to boost up the ACC's profile a lil' bit.

In summary...definite instant classic. If it re-airs, I'll probably tape it...provided stores even still sell blank VHS tapes. :)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I couldn't agree more. Unless I missed something watching the Buckeyes play Navy, I cannot understand how on Earth this team managed a #6 ranking.

They went to a BCS game last year and they're Ohio State. That's how. :P

And #19 Utah knocked off Alabama last year in the Sugar Bowl, a team that had the #1 ranking for most of the season last year. How do you explain that? :D

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Instant classic down in Tallahassee tonight. What a game. Jacory Harris has got to be one of the coolest cats playing QB right now. He looked incredibly calm on that last drive.

So yeah...let's get back to THIS. Since the ACC can't seem to buy no kind of love these days... ;) (and in a lot of ways, rightfully so...)

Of course, I didn't like the end result of that game, being that my Seminoles lost--but at least it the game didn't end up being Wide Right (whatever # they're on). These two teams got out there and got AFTER it. Neither team gave up. Both kept beating up on each other. Both kept coming. One would score; the other would respond. Back and forth...give and take. All the way to the wire. (And if Ponder had thrown that last pass justalilbit higher...)

For a second, I thought I was seeing shades of the 1998 squad out there for FSU (except this team ain't got 13 running backs). Conversely, the Miami team I saw last night reminded me of the Miami teams of days past--serious speed all over the place, and some guy on special teams who just knows how to break a team's spirit AND momentum (Devin Hester, anyone?) Christian Ponder really grew up last night, and if he can hold on to the form I saw last night, he might actually be the first FSU QB I can stand to watch through the entirety of a season since Chris Rix. And speaking of QB's, I don't know what kind of Joe Montana spirit crept up into Jacory Harris last night, but that was most definitely NOT the Jacory Harris I remember from a year ago. Randy Shannon got himself a good one there. But overall, I saw what it is I used to love seeing between Miami and FSU...a level of intensity damn near on par of that of Ravens vs Steelers.

Lovers of college football--hecks, football period--had to love that game. And I'll also say this: that type of game can be a serious tempo-setter for the rest of the season, for both teams. For Miami, it had to give them a confidence boost, being that Randy Shannon's young-ish team could go into the Doak, tussle toe-to-toe with the 'Noles and come out on top. For FSU, they may end up playing angry the rest of the way, especially since they're already down one in the loss column in-conference. I hope they keep that chip on their collective shoulder the rest of the way...bring the same fire, the same heat, the same passion. And though as a 'Nole I shouldn't be allowed to say this, I hope the same for Miami, as well, if for no other reason than to boost up the ACC's profile a lil' bit.

In summary...definite instant classic. If it re-airs, I'll probably tape it...provided stores even still sell blank VHS tapes. :)

Better set that VCR up quick, Bucc...it's on ESPN Classic tonight at 8.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The New AP Top 25

1 Florida (56) 1-0 1493

2 Texas (2) 1-0 1424

3 USC 1-0 1355

4 Alabama (2) 1-0 1331

5 Oklahoma State 1-0 1201

6 Mississippi 1-0 1095

7 Penn State 1-0 1082

8 Ohio State 1-0 985

9 Brigham Young 1-0 984

10 California 1-0 971

11 LSU 1-0 890