2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

And speaking of QB's, I don't know what kind of Joe Montana spirit crept up into Jacory Harris last night, but that was most definitely NOT the Jacory Harris I remember from a year ago. Randy Shannon got himself a good one there.

I was thinking the same thing. It amazed me how calm this guy was at the end of the game. Maybe it's his lazy-looking throwing motion, or the fact that he moved around in the pocket like he was floating more than anything, but he didn't look fazed in the least bit, ESPECIALLY considering his throwing hand was hurt at the end (said he could only grip the ball with 2 or 3 fingers...wow). The end of the game was the best; he had absolutely NO reaction to the final play of the game. He just stood there with the same look on his face while his teammates were going crazy. And he's only a sophomore?! Yeah, Miami's definitely got a good QB. That was such an awesome game. Hopefully it's on ESPN360 so you can dial it up anytime you want to.

As far as the ACC is concerned, it looks like it's gonna be FSU, Miami, GT, VT, maybe North Carolina, and everybody else falling over themselves.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, BYU jumping from #20 to #9 just for knocking out Sam Bradford and winning by 1 point!?!

They deserve it. They basically played a road game, were a 22 point 'dog, held OU held TIP for +7 minutes in the first half, and OU scored their only TD after deep turnover. BYU also did not have their primary RB.

How big will H1N1 now play for teams?

Wow, BYU jumping from #20 to #9 just for knocking out Sam Bradford and winning by 1 point!?!

They deserve it. They basically played a road game, were a 22 point 'dog, held OU held TIP for +7 minutes in the first half, and OU scored their only TD after deep turnover. BYU also did not have their primary RB.

I just have a hard time accepting everyone talking about the Cougars setting themselves up for a Championship season when the Utes go undefeated twice in 5 years and can?t even get into the Championship Game.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

I just have a hard time accepting everyone talking about the Cougars setting themselves up for a Championship season when the Utes go undefeated twice in 5 years and can?t even get into the Championship Game.

Neither of those Utah teams were preseason ranked. That is where it all lies for them.

Now, I would not be surprised that outside of Florida, there is a lot of top 5 movement as writers or coaches really won't have a definitive #2. Personally, Alabama or Ok. State should be #2 for this week, but should change weekly. Just winning should not have you keep your rank.

Oklahoma didn't play Oklahoma football even with Bradford who knows BYU could have won even with Bradford Quarterbacking, BYU is really good team and this might be there last chance for a while to break that BCS bubble now they can really prove themselves with Florida State coming into Provo 2 weeks from now.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Oklahoma didn't play Oklahoma football even with Bradford who knows BYU could have won even with Bradford Quarterbacking, BYU is really good team and this might be there last chance for a while to break that BCS bubble now they can really prove themselves with Florida State coming into Provo 2 weeks from now.

How do you figure BYU is such a good team? What changed for them this season compared to last?

Something else I don't understand about college football...

FSU (18) loses a tight one to Miami, who the pollsters feel is now the #20 team.

Why should FSU drop more than 7 spots? Why not 3? Shouldn't a #20 team be just a little bit better than a #21 team? And isn't that exactly what happened last night?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I couldn't agree more. Unless I missed something watching the Buckeyes play Navy, I cannot understand how on Earth this team managed a #6 ranking.

They went to a BCS game last year and they're Ohio State. That's how. :P

In name only these days. I hope I'm wrong but what I saw Saturday was one average football team.

The New AP Top 25

1 Florida (56) 1-0 1493

2 Texas (2) 1-0 1424

3 USC 1-0 1355

4 Alabama (2) 1-0 1331

5 Oklahoma State 1-0 1201

6 Mississippi 1-0 1095

7 Penn State 1-0 1082

8 Ohio State 1-0 985

9 Brigham Young 1-0 984

10 California 1-0 971

11 LSU 1-0 890

12 Boise State 1-0 882

13 Oklahoma 0-1 782

14 Virginia Tech 0-1 652

15 Georgia Tech 1-0 630

16 TCU 0-0 523

17 Utah 1-0 404

18 Notre Dame 1-0 383

19 North Carolina 1-0 338

20 Miami (FL) 1-0 315

21 Georgia 0-1 294

22 Nebraska 1-0 266

23 Cincinnati 1-0 248

24 Kansas 1-0 196

25 Missouri 1-0 126

First, why does Florida State drop out? They lost a close game to a good team. Also, how many people here think Florida State would lose to Missouri, Kansas, Cincinnati, and Nebraska? Speaking of which, that brings me to my second point...

Ohio State at number 8. Of the teams below them I would bet the Buckeyes to win against maybe five of them. They might beat Kansas, Cincinnati, Missouri, Notre Dame, and maybe Nebraska. Based on what I saw against Navy, every other team on that list would have to be favored against Ohio State.

TFoA is right. Reputation goes a long way in this sport. Ohio State is a 20-25 team at best. (Watch, they'll go out and beat USC Saturday...aw who the Hell am I trying to kid...USC 38 - OSU 10.)

BB52Big.jpg

I couldn't agree more. Unless I missed something watching the Buckeyes play Navy, I cannot understand how on Earth this team managed a #6 ranking.

And #19 Utah knocked off Alabama last year in the Sugar Bowl, a team that had the #1 ranking for most of the season last year.

What the hell does Utah's bowl win last year have to do with Ohio State's current ranking?

6uXNWAo.png

In name only these days. I hope I'm wrong but what I saw Saturday was one average football team.

The New AP Top 25

1 Florida (56) 1-0 1493

2 Texas (2) 1-0 1424

3 USC 1-0 1355

4 Alabama (2) 1-0 1331

5 Oklahoma State 1-0 1201

6 Mississippi 1-0 1095

7 Penn State 1-0 1082

8 Ohio State 1-0 985

9 Brigham Young 1-0 984

10 California 1-0 971

11 LSU 1-0 890

12 Boise State 1-0 882

13 Oklahoma 0-1 782

14 Virginia Tech 0-1 652

15 Georgia Tech 1-0 630

16 TCU 0-0 523

17 Utah 1-0 404

18 Notre Dame 1-0 383

19 North Carolina 1-0 338

20 Miami (FL) 1-0 315

21 Georgia 0-1 294

22 Nebraska 1-0 266

23 Cincinnati 1-0 248

24 Kansas 1-0 196

25 Missouri 1-0 126

First, why does Florida State drop out? They lost a close game to a good team. Also, how many people here think Florida State would lose to Missouri, Kansas, Cincinnati, and Nebraska? Speaking of which, that brings me to my second point...

Ohio State at number 8. Of the teams below them I would bet the Buckeyes to win against maybe five of them. They might beat Kansas, Cincinnati, Missouri, Notre Dame, and maybe Nebraska. Based on what I saw against Navy, every other team on that list would have to be favored against Ohio State.

TFoA is right. Reputation goes a long way in this sport. Ohio State is a 20-25 team at best. (Watch, they'll go out and beat USC Saturday...aw who the Hell am I trying to kid...USC 38 - OSU 10.)

You're kind of starting to sound like willmorris a little bit. That should scare the :censored: out of you. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

And #19 Utah knocked off Alabama last year in the Sugar Bowl, a team that had the #1 ranking for most of the season last year.

What the hell does Utah's bowl win last year have to do with Ohio State's current ranking?

It was used as a comparison. TFoA stated that they went to a BSC Bowl game last year and that was the reason for their #6 ranking. Utah accomplished the same thing but they were ranked #19 before last week's win.

All this is basically why the polls in general should be like the BCS and wait until midseason. This is the only sport I know of where speculation by journalists and coaches plays a MAJOR role in putting certain teams in the driver's seat. It's wild.

But still, it's fun to debate stuff like this, and it's only the first week. I love college football.

How do you figure BYU is such a good team? What changed for them this season compared to last?

You're looking at this from red colored glasses. Take off the glasses and look at it from a unbiased standpoint. The Cougars played a Oklahoma team and held them to 13 points. Brigham Young is a great team and has a great chance of unseating Utah for the Mountain West Conference title.

Yep, the polls are a joke.

Aaaaaand, what's Mississippi's reason for being at #6? Other than they play in the SEC. That answer, or any variations, are unacceptable.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

How big will H1N1 now play for teams?

Well, 12 guys (including Jevan Snead's roommate) probably have it. If they're like Landon Donovan, they'll be alright. If not, that could have a huge effect on them. Then again, they do have a bye this upcoming week, so they'll have some time to recover.

Yep, the polls are a joke.

Aaaaaand, what's Mississippi's reason for being at #6? Other than they play in the SEC. That answer, or any variations, are unacceptable.

That's pretty much it. If you are a high-end SEC team, you will at least be in the Top-10, maybe Top-5.

You're looking at this from red colored glasses. Take off the glasses and look at it from a unbiased standpoint. The Cougars played a Oklahoma team and held them to 13 points. Brigham Young is a great team and has a great chance of unseating Utah for the Mountain West Conference title.

It?s true, I am a bit biased but my agenda is legit! However, just because they knocked off the Sooners doesn?t make them as great as the polls claim. That?s why they play the game, anybody can beat anybody on any given day, but that doesn?t mean they?re the better team. Don?t you agree?

It's true, I am a bit biased but my agenda is legit! However, just because they knocked off the Sooners doesn't make them as great as the polls claim. That's why they play the game, anybody can beat anybody on any given day, but that doesn't mean they're the better team. Don't you agree?

They beat the better team, which mean higher expectations, which means higher polls. The fact they were predicted to be decimated by another team that they held to 13 points in a game. Their defense looks scary this year and I wouldn't be surprised if they do go undefeated. So I think top 10 team does fit.

It's true, I am a bit biased but my agenda is legit! However, just because they knocked off the Sooners doesn't make them as great as the polls claim. That's why they play the game, anybody can beat anybody on any given day, but that doesn't mean they're the better team. Don't you agree?

They beat the better team, which mean higher expectations, which means higher polls. The fact they were predicted to be decimated by another team that they held to 13 points in a game. Their defense looks scary this year and I wouldn't be surprised if they do go undefeated. So I think top 10 team does fit.

I understand how the polls work but just because you beat the #3 team doesn?t mean you should jump 11 spots. Heck, even most Cougar fans have been shocked they?re ranked that high. I agree, if they go undefeated (IF), then they?ll be a top 10 or 5 team, but they have a long road to travel before that happens. They should be somewhere around the 14 or 15 ranking but breaking into the top 10 is outrageous. You?ll see they?re not as good as everyone gives them credit for.

Anyway, it's fun to debate this kind of stuff, so I hope it's not taken offensively. :D

Archived