2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UB star RB James Starks (Sr) is out for the season. He tore his labrum in a practice August 15th, and today decided to have season and collegiate career ending surgery. He was said to be a late first to early second round draft pick in 2010, and was a leader on his hometown team. He was such a force last year in the biggest year in UB history.

He also had, at the time, the biggest play in team history.

32 seconds in. Clinched the division and a bowl bid after being down 20 with 13 mins left in the game. He is the all time leading rusher in UB history.
saBS.png

UB star RB James Starks (Sr) is out for the season. He tore his labrum in a practice August 15th, and today decided to have season and collegiate career ending surgery. He was said to be a late first to early second round draft pick in 2010, and was a leader on his hometown team. He was such a force last year in the biggest year in UB history.

32 seconds in. Clinched the division and a bowl bid after being down 20 with 13 mins left in the game. He is the all time leading rusher in UB history.

I don't know the redshirt rules, but wouldn't there be a chance that he could get a medical redshirt and be able to play next season?

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I don't know the redshirt rules, but wouldn't there be a chance that he could get a medical redshirt and be able to play next season?

He was a redshirt Senior, so if he petitioned, it would be for a sixth season of eligibility.

He was a redshirt Senior, so if he petitioned, it would be for a sixth season of eligibility.

Yes, he red shirted his "Freshman" year. So he is currently in his fifth year. I believe he can still petition the NCAA for a sixth year because of this injury. I think he may come back if allowed, because his draft stock dropped a lot. And if he gets a year of solid play he may work his way back into the first day of the draft.

saBS.png

Yes, he red shirted his "Freshman" year. So he is currently in his fifth year. I believe he can still petition the NCAA for a sixth year because of this injury. I think he may come back if allowed, because his draft stock dropped a lot. And if he gets a year of solid play he may work his way back into the first day of the draft.

I'm just going to ask... you mean by this he'll get off the weekend. The draft is now 1st round on Thursday, 2nd and 3rd Friday, and 4th thru 7th Saturday.

LvZYtbZ.png

I'm just going to ask... you mean by this he'll get off the weekend. The draft is now 1st round on Thursday, 2nd and 3rd Friday, and 4th thru 7th Saturday.

Yea, back into the First through third rounds. Thursday or Friday.

saBS.png

Indiana whores self, next year's home game against Penn State to FedEx Field for $3 million.

I'm not really a fan of the Hoosiers, but I'm finding it hard to express the utter disgust I feel for this move. Clearly the administration's "commitment" to improving the football team is mere words. "New experience" my arse. So much for building any goodwill or momentum with the stadium expansion. And it's not like the school is hurting for money-what with the tuition hikes, salary freezes and the Big Ten network payouts.

I bet Bill Lynch's replacement will also be the lowest paid coach in the Big Bowl Six Conferences.

If I'm new AD Fred Glass, I'm not showing my face at the football stadium this year. Nor going to Indianapolis; they're quite testy about the tuition hike as well.

EDIT-I forgot to add. Right now this makes "Senior Day" October 30th. Unless Glass has the cojones to run that promotion in DC.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Couple of my thoughts:

I think there needs to be more regulation in the schedules. imo, you should be allowed FBS team per year. It's ridiculous, especially when they're scheduled later in the year and the powers can't even pretend that it's a warmup or practice.

Home and away game issues bother me as well. Take Florida for example. They play 8* home games out of 12. That's absurd. Should they finish tied with the same record as another team(s) at the end of the year for a BCS bid, this should factor into the consideration and drop them. Do Michigan and Notre Dame ever play away from home?

* Yes, the Florida-Georgia game is in Jacksonville, but you're kidding yourself if you think that's not a home game.

And don't even get me started on preseason polls... :P

Can't say I'm shocked by this. There's a lot of Penn State fans/alumni around here. That game's not going to be pretty for Indiana.

It won't. Which is why their efforts to spin it as a recruiting tool are all the more comical. And their efforts to spin it as a treat to the Eastern fans are comical between IU's trip to Virginia this year and their road games at Penn State this year and last.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Couple of my thoughts:

I think there needs to be more regulation in the schedules. imo, you should be allowed FBS team per year. It's ridiculous, especially when they're scheduled later in the year and the powers can't even pretend that it's a warmup or practice.

Home and away game issues bother me as well. Take Florida for example. They play 8* home games out of 12. That's absurd. Should they finish tied with the same record as another team(s) at the end of the year for a BCS bid, this should factor into the consideration and drop them. Do Michigan and Notre Dame ever play away from home?

* Yes, the Florida-Georgia game is in Jacksonville, but you're kidding yourself if you think that's not a home game.

Believe it or not, but taking the scheduling out of the hands of the individual schools would hurt the smaller schools. The small schools get nice paydays from the big schools, checks that they aren't sharing with the other schools in these smaller conferences. These game checks fund a healthy portion of that school's annual athletic budget. The small schools benefit from these 6-figure checks, and the big schools benefit from getting an extra home game, and all the extra revenue that one home game can bring in. But with the BCS, the bigger schools are scheduling home-and-home games with other big schools. That's one huge positive that almost no one mentions when it comes to the BCS. If the FBS ever adopts a playoff, we'll be going back to seeing those slew of cupcake games for the big schools, as collecting wins would be more important than playing comparable out-of-conference games.

Being a South Florida fan, you should know better than most that preseason polls aren't that much of a hinderance on teams playing in a National Championship game. USF went from being unranked to reaching #2 in the polls by mid-October. You certainly can't blame the preseason polls from keeping USF out of the national championship talks.

And their efforts to spin it as a treat to the Eastern fans are comical between IU's trip to Virginia this year and their road games at Penn State this year and last.

Indiana's supposed to have East Coast fans? The only Indiana mentioned around here is IUP.

And their efforts to spin it as a treat to the Eastern fans are comical between IU's trip to Virginia this year and their road games at Penn State this year and last.

Indiana's supposed to have East Coast fans? The only Indiana mentioned around here is IUP.

The Indianapolis campus is "technically" under the Indiana University umbrella.

:rolleyes:

But yeah, Indiana supposedly does.

Penn State fans will still probably lock down 80,000 seats, though.

Today, we are all otaku.

Couple of my thoughts:

Believe it or not, but taking the scheduling out of the hands of the individual schools would hurt the smaller schools. The small schools get nice paydays from the big schools, checks that they aren't sharing with the other schools in these smaller conferences. These game checks fund a healthy portion of that school's annual athletic budget. The small schools benefit from these 6-figure checks, and the big schools benefit from getting an extra home game, and all the extra revenue that one home game can bring in. But with the BCS, the bigger schools are scheduling home-and-home games with other big schools. That's one huge positive that almost no one mentions when it comes to the BCS. If the FBS ever adopts a playoff, we'll be going back to seeing those slew of cupcake games for the big schools, as collecting wins would be more important than playing comparable out-of-conference games.

Being a South Florida fan, you should know better than most that preseason polls aren't that much of a hinderance on teams playing in a National Championship game. USF went from being unranked to reaching #2 in the polls by mid-October. You certainly can't blame the preseason polls from keeping USF out of the national championship talks.

I understand the money involved for the smaller schools it just rubs me wrong for some reason. Marching your team to a 50 point loss is something no coach should do, imo.

As for the second point, that's not why I don't like them. USF keeps USF out of national championship talks, lol. I wouldn't do any rankings until conference play started if I had my way. Like the BCS poll, there should be some current season data to go on before pretending to know who the top team is, let alone the top 25.

As for the second point, that's not why I don't like them. USF keeps USF out of national championship talks, lol. I wouldn't do any rankings until conference play started if I had my way. Like the BCS poll, there should be some current season data to go on before pretending to know who the top team is, let alone the top 25.

Not to be "that guy" or anything, but doesn't the ACC have Conference games in week 1? :P

Today, we are all otaku.

I understand the money involved for the smaller schools it just rubs me wrong for some reason. Marching your team to a 50 point loss is something no coach should do, imo.

You may lose by 50 points, but you gain funding for recruiting trips. You are, after all, building a program. Some recruits (obviously not the top recruits) can be swayed if that school plays a couple games at these big schools each year. And in some cases, your team is competitive by the time the game arrives (usually these games are scheduled a couple years in advance), and you get a payday and a victory. Appalachian State brought back $400K and a win to Boone, NC from their trip to Ann Arbor.

Ultimately, at the end of the season, the polls and pollsters get it right close to 100% of the time. Teams can drop from the top without losing (UGA went from #1 to #3 before losing a game last year), and teams can rise from unranked to at the top, as USF did. Every poll will be flawed until all the regular season games are played.

You may lose by 50 points, but you gain funding for recruiting trips. You are, after all, building a program. Some recruits (obviously not the top recruits) can be swayed if that school plays a couple games at these big schools each year. And in some cases, your team is competitive by the time the game arrives (usually these games are scheduled a couple years in advance), and you get a payday and a victory. Appalachian State brought back $400K and a win to Boone, NC from their trip to Ann Arbor.

Ultimately, at the end of the season, the polls and pollsters get it right close to 100% of the time. Teams can drop from the top without losing (UGA went from #1 to #3 before losing a game last year), and teams can rise from unranked to at the top, as USF did. Every poll will be flawed until all the regular season games are played.

Woo! Hopefully ECU sold App a win for $300k. So excited for the season!

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

The Indianapolis campus is "technically" under the Indiana University umbrella.

:rolleyes:

But yeah, Indiana supposedly does.

Penn State fans will still probably lock down 80,000 seats, though.

He means Indiana University of Pennsylvania... or so I'm assuming and not IUPUI.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived