BJBerthiaume

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noteworthy games this week.

#1 Bama vs. Tennessee

#5 Cincinnati vs. Louisville

Michigan vs. #13 Penn State

#10 TCU vs. #16 BYU (Big Game towards an At Large bid in the BCS)

also ESPN has given out the top 5 of the first BCS Rankings (All I can say is WTF)

1. Florida (.989)

2. Alabama (.959)

3. Texas (.891)

4. Boise State (.808)

5. Cincinnati (.787)

The rest of the Top 10 (and I added the points to see how teams "stack up" against each other)

6. Iowa (.787)

7. USC (.770)

8. TCU (.714)

9. LSU (.708)

10.Miami (.627)

The computers are not exactly big on USC (ranking them below Oregon and Georgia Tech and just ahead of Virginia Tech) at the moment, but they will jump both Iowa and Cincinatti if they continue to win, but that's it. It appears to me that if USC runs the table and Texas loses, the Trojans are playing the Bama/Tebow winner for the BCS Championship. If not, the Longhorns get their shot after being jacked last year.

Boise State has a snowball's chance in hell of making it to the BCS Championship game. Sorry. It just ain't happening. Make all the stupid ass National Championship sigs y'all want, it won't matter.

I want to see the Broncos take on the SEC runner-up in their BCS bowl game. That would be fantastic. Please keep winning, Broncos. Please!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

South Florida was ranked this past week. As for Cincinnati, they should be in good shape with their record at this point. Louisville and Syracuse are their next two teams to face.

Now, i'll obviously be rooting for the Orange to pull off the upset on Halloween, but if the Bearcats remain undefeated after that (more than likely), I'd love to see them run the table for the Big East to get a ton of attention and whatnot

Oh yeah I'm not arguing against Cincinnati, I'd love to see them run the table now that they're past USF but I was more arguing for Boise State. If there's a BCS team I want to see go all the way more than anyone else it's Cincy.

Ohh I was just basing my argument on last weeks rankings rather than this weeks. Also I'm with you on Boise State as well getting some recognition

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Alright, it's time for me to throw down and show what the BCS picture looks like after the first poll came out today.

With Florida and Alabama at #1 and #2 respectively, they're currently locked in for the BCS National Championship Game. Granted, this will change if not anytime soon, but after they possibly meet in the SEC Championship.

So, with the SEC's autobid and an at-large taken, let's get the Auto-Bids out of the way:

Big 12 - Texas

Big East - Cincinnati

Big Ten - Iowa

Pac 10 - USC

ACC - Miami of Florida

With Alabama taking an at-large spot, three at-large bids remain. Boise State earns the first one because they're currently the highest ranking Non-BCS school at the time (This also elminates TCU for now since only one Non-BCS school can be selected for inclusion). Oregon takes the second at-large bid because of it's ranking (LSU doesn't get a bid because the SEC already has two teams in the BCS). Then, you have Georgia Tech.

Now, the games themselves...

BCS National Championship Game: Florida (#1) vs. Alabama (#2)

Rose Bowl: Iowa (Big Ten Champ) vs. USC (Pac 10 Champ)

Sugar Bowl: Cincinnati (Big East Champ) vs. Georgia Tech (At-Large)

Fiesta Bowl: Texas (Big 12 Champ) vs. Boise State (At-Large)

Orange Bowl: Miami [FL) (ACC Champ) vs. Oregon (At-Large)

More than one non-BCS school can go IIRC but they'd never take more than one because of the revenue difference from the BCS vs. non-BCS schools

Actually, that is somewhat true since, as per the rules of the BCS, TCU would then fall into the at-large catagory and, as of now, they would be eligible for an at-large bid. But, you have other teams that are right behind TCU that would be a better selection then the Horned Frogs.

If Boise State will get punished for their schedule then why won't Texas? Is Okie State going to be their best opponent of the season? Oregon > Oklahoma State

Point that's trying to be made is that Boise State shouldn't get penalized when they have a win over a Top 12 team and can't schedule much better because they know if they schedule three top teams and they lose to one of them they won't sniff the Top 10. Also look for TCU to probably pass Boise.

Rankings aren't based over one game's performance. If UGA beats Florida in two weeks, should UGA automatically vault to #1?

As we currently stand, Boise State's schedule has only two teams with winning records: Oregon and Idaho. If Texas wins out, they will have played a much tougher schedule than Boise State, and will be a lot more deserving to play for a national championship than Boise. The cumulative of Texas's schedule will be a lot tougher than the cumulative of BSU's schedule.

If Boise State wants to make an argument to play for a national championship, they are going to need to schedule tougher non-conference games. TCU and Fresno State have scheduled multiple tough non-conference games, and if TCU goes undefeated....they'll have a strong case.

Oh yeah I know exactly what you mean I'm just making the point that Boise has the most impressive victory out of all of those teams. But yeah I'd give TCU a strong case after wins over:

Virginia

Clemson

Colorado State (who beat Colorado who beat Kansas)

Brigham Young

Utah

The point of the argument being that if Boise was even a football-only Mtn. West team or scheduled a better non-conference schedule, it wouldn't just be a dream for Boise to win it all.

6fQjS3M.png

TCU would have to have everybody in front of them lose either again or for the first time for them to evevn have a small chance at making the 'ship. It's that dire for them. BCS Bowl? Yeah, sure. Championship? Hell naw.

Oh yeah I know exactly what you mean I'm just making the point that Boise has the most impressive victory out of all of those teams. But yeah I'd give TCU a strong case after wins over:

Virginia

Clemson

Colorado State (who beat Colorado who beat Kansas)

Brigham Young

Utah

The point of the argument being that if Boise was even a football-only Mtn. West team or scheduled a better non-conference schedule, it wouldn't just be a dream for Boise to win it all.

Not to damage your argument, but William and Mary beat them as well.

/Yes, I know Indiana was blown out by this team. Have you heard the loons this season? They are fantastic.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

FCS RANKINGS AS OF OCTOBER 19

1. Richmond (28) 6-0

2. Montana 6-0

3. Southern Ill. 5-1

4. Villanova 6-1

5. William & Mary 5-1

6. Northern Iowa 5-2

7. Elon 5-1

8. New Hampshire 5-1

9. Appalachian St. 4-2

10. S. Carolina St. 5-1

11. McNeese St. 4-2

12. Jacksonville St. 4-2

13. South Dakota St. 5-1

14. Central Arkansas 4-2

15. Weber St. 4-3

16. Massachusetts 4-2

17. Colgate 7-0

18. Stephen F. Austin 5-1

19. Cal Poly 3-3

20. Eastern Kentucky 4-2

21. Eastern Wash. 4-3

22. Holy Cross 5-1

23. Delaware 5-2

24. Eastern Illinois 5-2

25. Northern Arizona 4-2

Im not a die hard NAU fan

my dad just coaches there

BTW, Barrish, Idaho St. has lost every game this year. Just a side note

Which actually proves to indicate that you really don't even care about the rankings. I do not think there is a reason to post them since the number of people who discuss FCS football can be counted on one hand.

BTW, Barrish, Idaho St. has lost every game this year. Just a side note

That doesn't really matter now, does it?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived