BJBerthiaume

2009 NCAA Football Thread

I have two tickets to the Ohio State-Minnesota game tomorrow. Everyone I know has other plans (more like OSU lost 2 games already this season and nobody wants to go) so I'm taking my mom. I've been to 4 OSU games with her, the Buckeyes are 4-0, but it has rained at every game we've been to together. The forecast for tomorrow? Rain.

Couldn't you find a girl to take to the game?

Just saw this today so the answer is Yes, I found a girl to take to the game, my girlfriend of 3 years. She had to work, and I couldn't find a buddy that either didn't already have tickets or who actually wanted to go. My dad was at work so I took my mother (a two-time graduate of Ohio State University) to the game. It did in fact rain.

Uh, your mother graduated from THE Ohio State University.

The NEW BCS rankings are out and the top three are still the same, but there are changes in the wind...

1. Florida

2. Alabama

3. Texas

4. Iowa

5. USC

6. TCU

7. Boise State

8. Cincinnati

9. LSU

10. Oregon

The NEW BCS rankings are out and the top three are still the same, but there are changes in the wind...

1. Florida

2. Alabama

3. Texas

4. Iowa

5. USC

6. TCU

7. Boise State

8. Cincinnati

9. LSU

10. Oregon

1-Iowa is No.8 in both the USA Today coaches' and Harris Interactive polls but checks in at No. 1 in the BCS computer component.

2-Boise State may have the toughest road to the BCS top because the Broncos play in the weaker WAC. The WAC is rated seventh out of 11 BCS conferences in Jeff Sagarin's latest rankings.

3- Notre Dame has an average computer rating of 12. If they win out, they will get a bid.

How does UC fall back that far to eighth?

Jumped by Iowa, USC, and TCU, and they were already behind Boise State.

The computers call for 33% of the vote. Forget teh AP as they do not count.

If you check out the numbers, teams ranked #4-8 are all pretty much even. Even if all those teams win, the ranks could change, depending on your strength of schedule, etc.

Can someone please give me a reason why USC is number 4 in the AP and coaches? It's utterly inconceivable to me. They should be behind TCU, Boise St, Oregon, Cincinnati, and Iowa, and maybe others.

In truth, here's how I see the BCS bowls as they stand right now.

NCG: Florida (SEC) vs Alabama (at-large/AQ)

Rose: Iowa (Big Ten) vs Oregon (Pac-10)

Fiesta: Texas (Big XII) vs TCU (at-large/AQ)

Sugar: USC (at-large) vs Cincinnati (Big East)

Orange: Georgia Tech (ACC) vs Penn State (at-large)

Standard selection order is Orange, then Fiesta, then Sugar - though Sugar gets to replace Florida first. Nothing against Boise State, but I have this feeling that USC and Penn State will get the at-larges on how well they draw.

Can someone please give me a reason why USC is number 4 in the AP and coaches? It's utterly inconceivable to me. They should be behind TCU, Boise St, Oregon, Cincinnati, and Iowa, and maybe others.

LSU. Both are one loss teams, both have some uninspiring close wins. But LSU's one loss was to the #1 team in the nation, while USC's was to a an unranked team that LSU earlier beat by 8 pts.

I think USC and LSU are fairly close, but I'd give the nod to LSU based on what I've seen from BOTH teams.

I don't know if I'd put them in the top 25, but Illinois should be "also receiving votes." Yes, they've had a few losses. But they've been against some decent teams, and they walloped ISU.

I don't know if I'd put them in the top 25, but Illinois should be "also receiving votes." Yes, they've had a few losses. But they've been against some decent teams, and they walloped ISU.

What El_Duderino failed to mention is that when he said 'ISU', it meant Illinois State.

A 1-5 Illinois team should be in a poll... ESPN's Bottom Ten, that is.

What El_Duderino failed to mention is that when he said 'ISU', it meant Illinois State.

A 1-5 Illinois team should be in a poll... ESPN's Bottom Ten, that is.

Agreed. We're terrible. My post was tongue-in-cheek.

Lane Kiffin & Dan Mullen are the newest members in the "Complain About Bad Officiating in the SEC" Club.

Honestly, they both have a case. Kiffin did have a point that there should've been an unsportsmanlike conduct on Cody after he threw off his helmet while the play was still going on, & although it wasn't obvious it was still clear that the Florida d-lineman fumbled before he got to the endzone. Both complaints go the "Don't you talk bad about our officials" treatment from the SEC.

I'm not gonna say that the officiating is just out-and-out terrible in the SEC this year, but it's been pretty damn bad this year.

Lane Kiffin & Dan Mullen are the newest members in the "Complain About Bad Officiating in the SEC" Club.

Honestly, they both have a case. Kiffin did have a point that there should've been an unsportsmanlike conduct on Cody after he threw off his helmet while the play was still going on, & although it wasn't obvious it was still clear that the Florida d-lineman fumbled before he got to the endzone. Both complaints go the "Don't you talk bad about our officials" treatment from the SEC.

I'm not gonna say that the officiating is just out-and-out terrible in the SEC this year, but it's been pretty damn bad this year.

Both coaches have a legitimate case. Something has got to be done, these are game changing plays being erred on.

In my opinion, Kiffin's just grasping at straws. If anything, blame the kicker who kicked the ball so low that Cody didn't have to jump to block the kick. If I remember correctly, Kiffin allowed 30+ seconds to roll off the clock before attempting that last FG. A guy removing his helmet on the field didn't give Alabama any sort of advantage.

Suck it up, Lane.

In my opinion, Kiffin's just grasping at straws. If anything, blame the kicker who kicked the ball so low that Cody didn't have to jump to block the kick. If I remember correctly, Kiffin allowed 30+ seconds to roll off the clock before attempting that last FG. A guy removing his helmet on the field didn't give Alabama any sort of advantage.

Suck it up, Lane.

That was a 45 yard attempt, the kicker has to line drive that or it won't make it.

There couldn't be a penalty on Cody. I know I'm going to sound like a homer, but rule 9-2-1 states:

"Unsportsmanlike Acts

ARTICLE 1. There shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct or any act that interferes with orderly game administration on the part of players, substitutes, coaches, authorized attendants or any other persons subject to the rules, before the game, during the game or between periods. a. Specifically prohibited acts and conduct include: 1. No player, substitute, coach or other person subject to the rules shall use abusive, threatening or obscene language or gestures, or engage in such acts that provoke ill will or are demeaning to an opponent, to game officials or to the image of the game, including but not limited to:

. . .

(f) Removal of a player’s helmet before he is in the team area (Exceptions: Team, media or injury timeouts; equipment adjustment; through play; between periods; and during a measurement for a first down).

. . .

If committed while the ball is alive, these fouls are treated as dead-ball fouls.

PENALTY — Dead-ball foul or live-ball foul treated as dead-ball foul. 15 yards [s7 and S27] from the succeeding spot. Flagrant offenders, if players or substitutes, shall be disqualified [s47]. If a player or an identified squad member in uniform commits two unsportsmanlike fouls in the same game, he shall be disqualified."

Basically, no re-dos are allowed, the game was over, the period couldn't be extended since it was a dead ball foul. Kiffin was wrong - again. (research done with help from rollbamaroll.com)

Dez Bryant out for the season (one calendar year). This per ESPN2.

Here is a little more (Thanks, Seattle P-I)

Oklahoma City, OK (Sports Network) - Oklahoma State Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant will reportedly remain suspended for the rest of the season.

According to the Oklahoman, the university was informed of the decision by the NCAA Tuesday evening. Bryant was originally ruled ineligible on October 7 for improper conduct stemming from a failure to fully disclose the details of interaction with former NFL player Deion Sanders.

No. 13 Oklahoma State (6-1) was hoping for a favorable ruling on Bryant with the Cowboys set for their biggest test of the season to date Saturday against third-ranked Texas.

The reported stated that the university is appealing the decision and could hear back from the NCAA Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee early next week. But for now, the suspension will remain in effect until September 2010.

The Cowboys' wideout was a finalist in 2008 for the Biletnikoff Award, which is awarded to the nation's top wide receiver, after posting 87 catches, 1,480 yards and 19 touchdowns.

Bryant had 17 catches for 323 yards and four scores in just three games this season.

Now I think he will leave for the NFL and if he is also a client of Eugene Parker, like Crabtree, lookout! Especially in an uncapped year.