2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

What national championships for Notre Dame? Notre Dame does not have any NCAA-recognized national championships in football!

No team in the FBS does as it is not a recognized championship sport.
Not true. Marshall, Boise State, and Western Kentucky all do.

LvZYtbZ.png

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What national championships for Notre Dame? Notre Dame does not have any NCAA-recognized national championships in football!

So then, do you hate their moves to become "illegmate"? If you do not recognize it, just comment on the "thoughts from 'spammy'".

*sigh* Need I remind you those are 1-AA Championships, and those are different then BCS Championships. Just because the NCAA doesn't have a 'true' playoff for 1-A doesn't make the champions there any different then a team who won in 1-AA or Division II or even Division III.

Oh, and since Will forget this one as well: UL-Monroe belongs in this group as they also won a Championship as well (They were known as NE Louisiana at the time).

*sigh* Need I remind you those are 1-AA Championships, and those are different then BCS Championships. Just because the NCAA doesn't have a 'true' playoff for 1-A doesn't make the champions there any different then a team who won in 1-AA or Division II or even Division III.

I guess I have to play devil's advocate here but the NCAA fails to recognize the 1-A Champion as it is not an NCAA Championship. So, yes Marshall, Boise, and Western are the only three.

6fQjS3M.png

I guess I have to play devil's advocate here but the NCAA fails to recognize the 1-A Champion as it is not an NCAA Championship. So, yes Marshall, Boise, and Western are the only three.

That's actually true. The top NCAA football championship is decided in FCS. The FBS decides a "mythical" national champion...but wait, why the hell are we talking about this? I could've sworn that I warned y'all.

That's actually true. The top NCAA football championship is decided in FCS. The FBS decides a "mythical" national champion...but wait, why the hell are we talking about this? I could've sworn that I warned y'all.

I thought I gave an edit too, but I did not look at Wikipedia and instantly thought of his "loophole" after I wrote my reply. I should not have even given a reply.

OK, people are going crazy now. Jimmy Clausen should not be a Heisman candidate - what has he done in conference?

OK, people are going crazy now. Jimmy Clausen should not be a Heisman candidate - what has he done in conference?

Um, the games still count.
Let's face it, the only people that should be eligible for the Heisman Trophy are those on the 117 true members of the FBS.

Will Morris ladies and gentlemen. CCSLC's resident one trick pony. For what it's worth Will, The NCAA may not "officially" recognize FBS national champions but as far as I know, you're the only person who seems to care. I assure you that the Florida Gators didn't decline the rings or trophies they got for winning it all last year. I'd also be willing to bet that Gator fans didn't boycott any merchandise that included the words "National Champions."

I understand your whole act with the "no matter what Notre Dame does they can't be in the BCS title game" etc. And I get your your act with posts like the last few. All of us get it, I just don't think any of us take your act all that seriously. You're screaming gibberish at the ocean dude.

BB52Big.jpg

infrared, let's put it this way. Would you rather see 11-1 Ohio State or 12-0 Notre Dame in the BCS title game? Ohio State doesn't play cupcakes like Notre Dame does.

I'd rather pull my toe nails one by one til I bleed a half liter of blood...

Really Will??? New Mexico State isn't a cupcake in your eyes?

infrared, let's put it this way. Would you rather see 11-1 Ohio State or 12-0 Notre Dame in the BCS title game? Ohio State doesn't play cupcakes like Notre Dame does.

Aside from the fact that Gary is clearly a clueless Michigan fan, :D he does have a point. And let's throw in Navy and Toledo while we're at it. Like it or not Will, Michigan, USC, and Michigan State are not "cupcakes". Neither are Boston College or Pittsburgh. Notre Dame plays a pretty decent schedule. It's not like they're loading up on the D-II patsies that a lot of other schools use for practice in their non-conference games.

And to answer your question Will, if Notre dame goes 12-0 and it came down to the Irish or Ohio State playing the other 12-0 team then yes I would rather see Notre Dame in the title game over an 11-1 Ohio State team. I'm not such a homer that I would ever answer yes to your question.

BB52Big.jpg

Aside from the fact that Gary is clearly a clueless Michigan fan, biggrin.gif he does have a point. And let's throw in Navy and Toledo while we're at it. Like it or not Will, Michigan, USC, and Michigan State are not "cupcakes". Neither are Boston College or Pittsburgh. Notre Dame plays a pretty decent schedule. It's not like they're loading up on the D-II patsies that a lot of other schools use for practice in their non-conference games.

And to answer your question Will, if Notre dame goes 12-0 and it came down to the Irish or Ohio State playing the other 12-0 team then yes I would rather see Notre Dame in the title game over an 11-1 Ohio State team. I'm not such a homer that I would ever answer yes to your question.

28 Years and counting :D, but I happen to agree if it came down to a team who is 12-0 and an 11-1 team, i'd rather see an undefeated team in the National Championship, if Notre Dame happens to be that team, they are the better team in my eyes.

Aside from the fact that Gary is clearly a clueless Michigan fan, :D he does have a point. And let's throw in Navy and Toledo while we're at it. Like it or not Will, Michigan, USC, and Michigan State are not "cupcakes". Neither are Boston College or Pittsburgh. Notre Dame plays a pretty decent schedule. It's not like they're loading up on the D-II patsies that a lot of other schools use for practice in their non-conference games.

But by saying that, you're basically saying that conference play is worthless.

LvZYtbZ.png

Ohio State and Notre Dame shared nearly half of their schedule this year.

-Navy

-USC

-Michigan

-Purdue

-Michigan State

Ohio State is currently 1-2 against said teams. Notre Dame is 2-2. ND has Navy while OSU has the Michigans.

Ohio State Also Plays

-Toledo

-Illinois

-New Mexico State

-Indiana

-Wisconsin

-Penn State

-Iowa

Notre Dame Also Plays

-Washington

-Washington State

-Pittsburgh

-Connecticut

-Nevada

-Stanford

-Boston College

All 7 teams on ND's schedule not on Ohio State's are better than NMSU, Toledo, Indiana, and Illinois with maybe the exception(s) of Washington State and/or Nevada.

Point being, Notre Dame plays the better overall schedule.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived