2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

I would leave Cincinnati for Notre Dame too, but it's a pretty stupid system that allows coaches to bail on their teams before their final games.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would leave Cincinnati for Notre Dame too, but it's a pretty stupid system that allows coaches to bail on their teams before their final games.

IN terms of your little bowl party, the Sugar Bowl should be a top 3 pick. Florida in the Superdome...Tebow's final NCAA game...and no real 'nati HC.

This is not WVU, these guys have quit, especially the seniors. Joe Haden is locked on Mardy, so big boys has to get open on a better defense. This is hard to win.

Notre Dame would have been left out of the national title, just like Cincy was. They wouldn't have been able to pass Texas.

If Notre Dame had gone 12-0 nothing short of world ending armageddon would have kept them out of the title game. The media would have driven them to the game themselves if that was what it took to get them there.

Heck if ND went 11-1 they would have come close to passing Texas, any excuse to put them in th ebiggest spot possible, since the Irish=raitings with their uniforms alone.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I don't care what coach you are if someone offers you a job at ''The Biggest Football school in the States'' you have to at least mull it over but what I don't like is that Kelly had something great with Cincy and they weren't done being good they would have had at least a few more years on top of the Big East fighting it out with Pitt.

I agree with DG_Now there should be a rule in place that you can't leave your team until the bowl season is over it's just a big middle finger to the fans, alumni and all of the University of Cincinnati.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

If you ain't playing for the 'ship, your bowl game is relatively meaningless. The reason these coaches dip is because of recruiting. Notre Dame has already lost a couple of weeks out on the trail and Kelly was playing catch up as soon as he signed the contract. You want to change rules, put a moratorium on recruiting for a certain period.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Hypothetically.... If one tick isn't put back on the clock in the Big XII Championship, and #2 Cincinnati is set to play Bama for all the marbles -- Does Kelly bolt for Notre Dame?

I think he couldn't possibly leave, even after the bowl game. Too bad we'll never know. I don't think he's going to wake up the echoes and wipe the tarnish off the golden dome or whatever, but it would have been nice to see if a guy on the cusp of a 'ship would dip to "greener" pastures (pun completely intended). Nick Saban's been at 'Bama for three years now, right? Isn't it time for him to get wanderlust?

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

It's the same situation as Rich Rodriguez and WVU a few years ago. We'll never know the answer. If Nebraska beat Texas and UC was in the title game there is no way that Brian Kelly leaves for Notre Dame.

You shouldn't have to legislate loyalty, but I too would like to see a rule that schools can't interview coaches until the last bowl game is over.

PvO6ZWJ.png

As far as Brian Kelly goes, I agree with what New Era said, stay and build a program. It's what Joe Pa did, it's what Bowden did, it's what LaVell Edwards did, it's what the great coaches do, stay and build a program and keep the program at the top. There's a respect that you don't get when you hope at the next "great" opportunity that comes up. I see Kelly gone in about 4-5 years. I'm not sure if he's going to get fired or leave for the NFL, but he'll leave Cincinnati the way he has left all the other programs. The problem with coaches these days is that they're not in it for the long term and are after the quick riches, well I hate to say this, but none of these new era of coaches will be remembered for anything. Brian Kelly will go into the Rich Rodriguez, John L. Smith, Steve Kragthorpe, and Dennis Franchione coaches who refuse to stay and build a program and take the challenge of keeping it on top and then they bite off more than they can chew on and end up getting their walking papers handed to them.

If you ain't playing for the 'ship, your bowl game is relatively meaningless. The reason these coaches dip is because of recruiting. Notre Dame has already lost a couple of weeks out on the trail and Kelly was playing catch up as soon as he signed the contract. You want to change rules, put a moratorium on recruiting for a certain period.

Sadly, that would just be ignored. College football has become a year-long business, and if you pine for the "simpler times" I suggest following Division III.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Saw this on ESPN Insider but who actually pays for it. Skip Holtz could be heading to Kansas or to replace the recently departed Brian Kelly at Cincinnati. If this is true he's certainly earned it to say the least he's built ECU in to a respectable mid major and deserves a shot to coach in a BCS Conference.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Saw this on ESPN Insider but who actually pays for it. Skip Holtz could be heading to Kansas or to replace the recently departed Brian Kelly at Cincinnati. If this is true he's certainly earned it to say the least he's built ECU in to a respectable mid major and deserves a shot to coach in a BCS Conference.

Hopefully Holtz gets the job at Kansas to keep Gill at UB. I think Gill is the favorite at UB, hopefully he doesn't leave, but I believe he will.

saBS.png

I get that, and it's still stupid.

I should never be surprised by college football's lack of scruples. The way the system is set up actively encourages coaches to bail on their teams the second a better offer comes up. They could easily put the kibosh on this behavior by, as you say, putting a moratorium on recruiting.

The funnest part is that everyone agrees that the whole thing is rotten and bogus, but no one of any import (and that includes the Congress) is about to do anything about it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

WTF ZOMG No CONgriss shuldnt due nething about it!!!!!@3 Dey hav moor mportint stuff 2 due then mess wit callige sportz!!@## Dey shud fix tha bugit n tha nashunal det!!!!@345

Thanks to the post above, I have yet another reason to hate internet speak.

But, back on topic. Navy beats Army today which means UCLA will play Temple in the EagleBank Bowl on the 29th.

Personally, if you ask me, that bid should go to UL-Monroe or UL-Lafayette (Both are also 6-6) because all this is about is giving that worthless weasel Neuheisel another chance to make himself look like an ass. Hopefully, Temple will beat them and Neuheisel will walk out of the Nation's Capital in total and massive shame. :)

Also, Kansas is set to hire Buffalo's head man, Turner Gill, as their new coach. You got to think this is going to anger a ton of Nebraska fans considering he was once a Cornhusker during his playing days.

Nebraska made it to the Big 12 Championship and damn near won it, their fans will live. :P

Anybody watching the App. State-Montana game? This is mounting up to be a classic. It's in Montana, they've played in near-blizzard conditions at times, and the fans are absolutely into it. Great atmosphere, & great game against 2 very good football teams.

Nebraska made it to the Big 12 Championship and damn near won it, their fans will live. :P

Anybody watching the App. State-Montana game? This is mounting up to be a classic. It's in Montana, they've played in near-blizzard conditions at times, and the fans are absolutely into it. Great atmosphere, & great game against 2 very good football teams.

Enjoying every second of it! I hate snow and winter but I love watching football being played in these conditions.

BB52Big.jpg

I used to go to these Montana games. Only word to describe it is: Epic. Once you walk in there, you feel like you're in a different world. One of the best stadiums in college football, easily.

I used to go to these Montana games. Only word to describe it is: Epic. Once you walk in there, you feel like you're in a different world. One of the best stadiums in college football, easily.

Archived