CHL Redesign

chickenfish13

Superior work on this series C-fish. The coyote logo is really cool. You don't need the highlight on his rear right leg though. If the sun is so bright behind him, you'd never see the highlight.

As for the gorillas, that's an awesome gorilla head you created, you just need to figure out that color combination. The last update you did, the green, blue and grey one doesn't work but it can because it did before, with the Hartford Whalers. Why did theirs work? What shade of blue was it? Was the grey lighter? Was the green as dark? Did they use any white on the jerseys? Did the blue and green touch or were they always seperated by grey? These are all good questions you can ask yourself for any concept you do. I like "X", why do I like it? On to the logos, don't get so outline happy so you can incorporate your colors. The outline should be your darkest color always. Think of it as you're drawing with pen and paper. The pen makes the outer limit of your drawing and fills in the interior details to give definition. Remember the best logos can work in black and white. The light outline on logos is used so when you put them on a dark jersey, you can distinguish the logo from the jersey. The white outline isn't really part of the logo it just serves a purpose. You need to get rid of that green outline around the head expecially the one on your secondary.

Keep up the fight, I'll be following this series.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work on the logos so far. I would agree with everything undead said above. You don't need the gray highlights on the circle logo, just keep it simple. And keep the sunburst, I wouldn't think of it as an accurate representation of the actual backdrop of the desert so much as a cool logo motif.

It looks like you are trying too hard on the jerseys. Like chuck said, you don't need to include every color. For example, for the sundogs, you could keep the gray as a highlight/outline color, and not include any in the stripes. Keep it simple. The alternate has way too many stripes. On the gorillas the jerseys look pretty bad. First think about how the stripes would translate to the jersey. It would look like this:

)

)

The way the striping would meet on the edges is very awkward. Then think about the best way to make the colors pop. You can barely see the green on the home, and the gray dominates the green on the away, it should probably be reversed. So, I would

-Make the stripes straight or curve differently

-Make the home striping, from the edge, go: green-blue-white-gray-white, and make it correspond on the aways. It would be simpler and the colors would show better

-eliminate the black from the shoulders, why is that there?

-Make sure your collars are the same from front to back, you have an issue with each jersey here on the collars, I'll let you figure that out.

-and this doesn't relate to the gorillas but your sock striping looks awful on arizona, sock stripes should almost always go straight across, same with the gorillas actually.

-Finally, nothing about the gorillas alternate is good, you might want to rethink it.

I think probably the best two pieces of advice I could give you is 1) pay attention to detail (collars, shoulders) and 2) KEEP IT SIMPLE! (striping, socks)

Thanks to Undead and Elliott for the lengthy replies. Like I've said before, the lengthy ones are the ones that really help. I will work on updates for both the Gorillas and the Sundogs, and have them up later.

EDIT

I'm going to be gone from Sunday-Saturday, so feel free to comment, but you guys won't see an update any time soon. ^_^

OK, well I'd love to hear your ideas, but I think I am good for the Gorillas, I might make a couple tweaks, but for the most part I'm finished. So, now, I'm moving onto the third team, the Arizona Sundogs. For the logos, I kept their current primary, as their is something that I quite like about it. For the secondary, I made a howling coyote logo, inspired by dgnmrwrw's Predators secondary logo. I contacted him, and he is fine with me posting it. The rays in the background might be a bit much, but we'll see. I tried playing with the numbers of rays, and weights and stuff, but nothing looked any better than what I had. For the jerseys, I based them mainly off of their current jerseys, and the alt. is just kinda an idea. So enjoy, and hopefully some people will give c and c. I dont care if it's completely ripping the design, as long as people comment so I can improve.

CHLsundogslo.png

sundogexpo.png

CHLsundogsawa.png

CHLsundogsalt.png

First, black main, red alt is probably how it should be.

Second, lost most of the striping at the sleeves, one color should really suffice. There's literally nothing wrong with just going black to the ends of the sleeves and having a single color stripe there.

Third, per all of your designs, the numbering and lettering for the players still doesn't work. I almost want to say, you have the right colors for them but not in the right order. Why, on a dark jersey isn't the bolder color the main color instead of it being the outline? Plus, to show there's an outline you keep using a thicker stroke which kills the readability of anything you put there.

^it's all good man, it happens. This is looking better, I freakin love that alt, I don't know what exactly but the colors show up well, it's just really nice looking. For the home and away I would thin down the striping, it's looking a little cluttered. I don't like the yellow on red in the home especially the shoulders. Try to work a little yellow into the road. Think about a different number font and use a shoulder logo. Then this set will be very solid. Also I'm not too in love with the side panels. What if you just dropped them, and used an alt-like template? Finally, use black pants on the alt.

A couple of presentation tips: use gray outline on black jerseys, and keep the width of the outline consistant, for example the jersey outline is thick while pants outline is nonexistent.

It looks a lot better. What's with the little bit of gray around the logo and on the collar of the red jersey? I also like how you presented it on a gray background. In the past you used the team color and it took away from your design. Nice update.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Elliott, I did switch the colors on the collars, and there still wrong, lol? How is it supposed to be? ^_^

on the home sweater I think Elliot means. You're ok, though, because the top color of the collar is the same as the background. That's why the back isn't showing up correctly. Anyway, great job so far on these concepts.

sig2_by_sergeiofrussia.png

OK, sorry for the back-to-back posts. I will make the sundogs "official", by updating the post with the designs in the template, but for now I wanted to preview the mudbugs logo. I don't like their current logo, or current color scheme, so I completely changed the logo, and have 6 color schemes for you guys to vote for. So enjoy, and pick your favorite.

mudbugs6color.png

I had to look at it a while to figure out what it was. It's a nice looking crawdad (or whatever it's supposed to be), maybe you could try eliminating the circle? Good start though.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Archived