Logos painted on grass

MG helmets

good idea cuz.

here is the long way round for those interested.

this is the sort of thing you should end up with.

grasslogo.jpg

heres the step by step (images below):

1. get an image of some grass. i did a quick google search and found this:

http://free-textures.got3d.com/natural/fre...texture-024.jpg

2. paste your logo onto the grass, you will need to give it the correct perspective using the free

transform tool.

3. use the 'soft light' transfer mode to give the logo a translucent appearance.

4. i doubled the layer to make the image bolder.

5. i layed another layer of the logo on top of the two 'soft light' layers using the 'hue' mode. this

corrects your colours and makes them more like the original logo.

6. next hit the 'channel' tab and copy one of the channels from your grass layer.

i chose blue as it has a high degree of contrast. create a new photoshop file, paste this greyscale

layer in and call it something like diplacement_map.psd.

7. next select one of your 'soft light' layers and hit 'effects, distort, displacement'. you will then be

prompted to select a displacement map file. choose the grayscale psd you just created. repeat this

process with the hue layer and apply a slight gaussian blur to the remaining 'soft light layer'.

you should get a logo that looks roughened up as in the picture below.

8. you may need to then fiddle about with the transparencies of each layer to get the look, softness

and colours you desire.

9. finally you can add a few effects to bed the logo into the image a little more. here i have used a

small vignette and some curve and saturation adjustment layers.

to make a vignette like below create a radial gradient layer with middle grey in the centre turning

to a slightly darker green at the edge. then make this layer an 'overlay' transfer.

10. see the details in the layers for clarification.

grasstutorial.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Davidson,

Thanks for your tutorial, found it really easy to use and was impressed with the results I achieved. I tried it on a few different logos and found that if the logo you are using has a large amount of white in it the whites looked a little like they were floating, as the shadows in there weren't as strong as the shadows and contrasts in the other colours.

So tried a few things and think I might have found a solution. If you copy in the grayscale grass file you used to make the displacement map as a new layer at the top of the stack and set it to colour burn then reduce it's opacity to 20 - 25% it helps bed in the shadows and texture and helps prevent the floating whites. The comparison below shows the same logo with and without this extra layer.

turf-comparison.jpg

C&C's please and if anyone can think of another or better way of doing this I'm all ears, displacement maps and adjustment layers are new territory for me so keen to learn all I can. Thanks.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Hey Davidson,

Thanks for your tutorial, found it really easy to use and was impressed with the results I achieved. I tried it on a few different logos and found that if the logo you are using has a large amount of white in it the whites looked a little like they were floating, as the shadows in there weren't as strong as the shadows and contrasts in the other colours.

So tried a few things and think I might have found a solution. If you copy in the grayscale grass file you used to make the displacement map as a new layer at the top of the stack and set it to colour burn then reduce it's opacity to 20 - 25% it helps bed in the shadows and texture and helps prevent the floating whites. The comparison below shows the same logo with and without this extra layer.

turf-comparison.jpg

C&C's please and if anyone can think of another or better way of doing this I'm all ears, displacement maps and adjustment layers are new territory for me so keen to learn all I can. Thanks.

9erssteve

absolutely, i think thats a good idea. there are lots of things i think you could do to make this better, i think the blacks could do with something similar to be honest. and i think you could key the whole thing through a distressed material so that you get patches that arent covered in as much paint as others in order to make the whole thing a bit more organic. im not really a big photoshop user so im not sure how id do all these types of things in ps, but i know they are possible.

fd

i never use ps any more really, i have lots more effects and options in after effects (its the animation equivalent of photoshop and im not trying to be snotty about ps, i just dont know it very well), but there is nothing in this that yuo cant make in photoshop. just do a search for 'displacement map' and im sure you could work it out.

I have a version of After Effects but I've never bothered to jump into it. Is it hard to learn?

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

i never use ps any more really, i have lots more effects and options in after effects (its the animation equivalent of photoshop and im not trying to be snotty about ps, i just dont know it very well), but there is nothing in this that yuo cant make in photoshop. just do a search for 'displacement map' and im sure you could work it out.

I have a version of After Effects but I've never bothered to jump into it. Is it hard to learn?

well its a motion graphics program, so i wouldnt recommend learning the program for the sake of doing what youd do with photoshop.

in that respect it is quite hard to learn, its vastly deeper than ps as a programme in itself.

its much better for compositing than ps and works in a much more convenient way if you are doing things like this,

but you wouldnt use it for brush work or things like that.

youre better off with ps i reckon.

Ok... I received some messages saying they we're having some problems with the action... well I think I fixed the problem and I made a SBS tutorial...

Logo_Texture_Action_Tutorial_by_matthiason.jpg

not sure why you posted this, yours is not as good as Davidsons..

maybe read his first...

*cut*Cool GFB 'shopping.

maybe read his first...

Was that really necessary?

But Davidson, and GFB, those are fantastic. All the work posted has been really great.

MGHelmet's wasn't that bad to begin with either.

*cut*Cool GFB 'shopping.

maybe read his first...

But Davidson, and GFB, those are fantastic. All the work posted has been really great.

was it necessary for him to post his secondary, inferior process??

No probably not...

Thank you

*cut*Cool GFB 'shopping.

maybe read his first...

No probably not...

Thank you

maybe read his first...

Davidson's is a step by step of how to do it from scratch. GFB's is a tutorial off how to use his action (using Davidson's step by step if I'm not mistaken).

Take the attitude down a notch.

*cut*Cool GFB 'shopping.

maybe read his first...

No probably not...

Thank you

maybe read his first...

Davidson's is a step by step of how to do it from scratch. GFB's is a tutorial off how to use his action (using Davidson's step by step if I'm not mistaken).

Take the attitude down a notch.

still unnecessary....

thank you.

still unnecessary....

thank you.

No actually what was unnecessary was someone who clearly hadn't bothered to read the ENTIRE thread getting all high and mighty and not actually adding ANYTHING constructive to the thread.

If you had taken the time to actually read the whole thread you'd have realised that GFB posted his photoshop action BEFORE Davidson posted his tutorial, THEN GFB posted the step by step tutorial for his photoshop action to help a few people who'd had some issues with it. Thanks to both guys for their efforts, they both helped me a lot, and thanks to MG Helmets for starting the thread, I've learned a few new things here and honed a few other skills as a result of it.

Personal preference as to results aside, at least GFB and Davidson contributed things that were helpful and appreciated unlike yourself who has done neither, but thanks for posting.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

still unnecessary....

thank you.

No actually what was unnecessary was someone who clearly hadn't bothered to read the ENTIRE thread getting all high and mighty and not actually adding ANYTHING constructive to the thread.

If you had taken the time to actually read the whole thread you'd have realised that GFB posted his photoshop action BEFORE Davidson posted his tutorial, THEN GFB posted the step by step tutorial for his photoshop action to help a few people who'd had some issues with it. Thanks to both guys for their efforts, they both helped me a lot, and thanks to MG Helmets for starting the thread, I've learned a few new things here and honed a few other skills as a result of it.

Personal preference as to results aside, at least GFB and Davidson contributed things that were helpful and appreciated unlike yourself who has done neither, but thanks for posting.

9erssteve

you are more than welcome!!

glad I could help you out! Best of luck!!

well its a motion graphics program, so i wouldnt recommend learning the program for the sake of doing what youd do with photoshop.

in that respect it is quite hard to learn, its vastly deeper than ps as a programme in itself.

its much better for compositing than ps and works in a much more convenient way if you are doing things like this,

Well the whole reason why I had it was because I've occasionaly done some LED ring ads at the Delta Center/Energy Solutions Arena but I ended up using another program. When compared to Adobe Flash's concept of animation though, how much harder would After Effects be to learn? :D

Well the whole reason why I had it was because I've occasionaly done some LED ring adds at the Delta Center/Energy Solutions Arena but I ended up using another program. When compared to Adobe Flash's concept of animation though, how much harder would After Effects be to learn?

I've got limited experience of both, small animations and a few small websites in Flash, and about a half dozen or so projects put together in After Effects. Of the two I certainly found After Effects to be the easiest one to get started with. If you are already familiar with keyframes and timelines you're gonna feel pretty familiar with After Effects. Put it this way I know a few folk who created Flash college projects in After Effects then exported them as SWF's as they found After Effects more user friendly.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Well the whole reason why I had it was because I've occasionaly done some LED ring adds at the Delta Center/Energy Solutions Arena but I ended up using another program. When compared to Adobe Flash's concept of animation though, how much harder would After Effects be to learn?

I've got limited experience of both, small animations and a few small websites in Flash, and about a half dozen or so projects put together in After Effects. Of the two I certainly found After Effects to be the easiest one to get started with. If you are already familiar with keyframes and timelines you're gonna feel pretty familiar with After Effects. Put it this way I know a few folk who created Flash college projects in After Effects then exported them as SWF's as they found After Effects more user friendly.

9erssteve

Sweet! I can remember just being a little taken back by After Effects since the naming and concept was a little different. I'm definitely familiar with key frames and timelines, so I'm hoping I could learn After Effects fairly easily. What would you say is the best way to jump in.....get a book or just play around with it?

9erssteve

Sweet! I can remember just being a little taken back by After Effects since the naming and concept was a little different. I'm definitely familiar with key frames and timelines, so I'm hoping I could learn After Effects fairly easily. What would you say is the best way to jump in.....get a book or just play around with it?

I dont do books anymore, I'm dyslexic and find trying to learn from a book a total nightmare it takes forever and I remember very little of it. I'd suggest hitting up either the Adobe site and checking out some of the video tutorials they have or jumping over to Lynda.com and checking out their videos. Lynda.com is a subscription site but they let you view the first few videos from every course they do for free and their stuff is awesome. After trying the samples I signed up used it to (finally) migrate from Freehand to Illustrator having unsuccessfully tried books and other sites in the past. I'd bet if you were to check what's available there for free you'd find your feet in no time.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Archived