Logos painted on grass

MG helmets

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it needs to be bigger up front and smaller in the back, the angle of the grass is pretty steep.

I know the perspective of the grass changes but it's not that steep.

mariners_comparison.jpg

maybe its just that logo, but it doesnt have the appearance that it is going back

it needs to be bigger up front and smaller in the back, the angle of the grass is pretty steep.

I know the perspective of the grass changes but it's not that steep.

mariners_comparison.jpg

maybe its just that logo, but it doesnt have the appearance that it is going back

I know, that's what I originally thought too. :D

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Wasatch: the most notable thing I can see that breaks the illusion in your picture is the scale. If those blades of grass are at best 2 inches long, Photoshop's ruler tool measures your whole logo as at best 7' across.

I get the impression the logo is supposed to be much bigger than that in real life, which means you're losing the look a bit. You'll need a better starting image I'd say, with finer grass detail.

To answer a question brought up very early on about how to dapple the paint a bit, the easiest way is to render some clouds on a layer mask:

1. Group all your layers (except the grass) together

2. With the group selected, click the add layer mask button at the bottom of the layers palette

3. Press the D key to reset the default colours

4. Choose Filter > Render > Clouds. Your logo will go all patchy; that's OK so long as no vital parts of the logo totally disappear. If they do, just keep pressing Cmd/Ctrl + F to rerun the filter until it looks good.

5. With the layer mask still selected, choose Image > Adjust > Levels (or press Cmd/Ctrl + L). Make sure Preview is ticked, then drag the black point (the bottom left draggable gripper) to the right until the amount of patchiness is right.

That makes a pretty noticeable difference to how authentic the logo looks (though by very definition it makes the logos look a bit more worn and less freshly painted).

Dragons.gifPreds.gifTitans.gifSonics.gif

Crests.gif

Wasatch: the most notable thing I can see that breaks the illusion in your picture is the scale. If those blades of grass are at best 2 inches long, Photoshop's ruler tool measures your whole logo as at best 7' across.

I get the impression the logo is supposed to be much bigger than that in real life, which means you're losing the look a bit. You'll need a better starting image I'd say, with finer grass detail.

To answer a question brought up very early on about how to dapple the paint a bit, the easiest way is to render some clouds on a layer mask:

1. Group all your layers (except the grass) together

2. With the group selected, click the add layer mask button at the bottom of the layers palette

3. Press the D key to reset the default colours

4. Choose Filter > Render > Clouds. Your logo will go all patchy; that's OK so long as no vital parts of the logo totally disappear. If they do, just keep pressing Cmd/Ctrl + F to rerun the filter until it looks good.

5. With the layer mask still selected, choose Image > Adjust > Levels (or press Cmd/Ctrl + L). Make sure Preview is ticked, then drag the black point (the bottom left draggable gripper) to the right until the amount of patchiness is right.

That makes a pretty noticeable difference to how authentic the logo looks (though by very definition it makes the logos look a bit more worn and less freshly painted).

I agree, that Mariners logo is supposed to be much large on that scale. I can't remember how big they displayed it in the Kingdome, but I know it was much larger. Anyhow, I'll look into your suggestions and post what I found. Thanks!

Kit, that was an excellent suggestion you had! You're right, it gives the painted grass a much more faded look, which would be the case after so much wear and tear.

mariners_grass_faded.jpg

I'd say you've made it a little *too* patchy there, but you've clearly got the idea. I'd have pushed the black point so far that it introduces imperfections but not visible spots.

Dragons.gifPreds.gifTitans.gifSonics.gif

Crests.gif

I'd say you've made it a little *too* patchy there, but you've clearly got the idea. I'd have pushed the black point so far that it introduces imperfections but not visible spots.

Eh, no worries. If it were for a professional job I'd spend more time on it, but in this instance I'm ok with it. B)

hardwood, hahaha

thicon_lol.gif I know, I should have used a baseball or football logo to appease you all on the board, but what can I say, I'm a Jazz fan at heart and I just wanted to use that as the example. :D

Since you brought it up though, has there ever been a good hardwood template?

I used the same concepts from this tutorial and applied it to concrete. I think it turned out pretty well.

flconcrete2.png

That is very nice.

That would make a fantastic wallpaper.

How about hardwood; same idea?

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Archived