Teal Marlins caps on Lids.com

TBGKon

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that Mariners teal right? I thought there's was always more greenish. It's listed as Northwest Green. This cap makes it look exactly like the Marlins, and I always thought there's was a lot lighter.

I would love to get one of the teal bill Mariners' caps. I've been looking for them for years. On the color, I remember when they were using that cap and you'd see the gamut in stores, everywhere from straight teal to a pure green. Always bugged me that they couldn't get the color consistent.

Is that Mariners teal right? I thought there's was always more greenish. It's listed as Northwest Green. This cap makes it look exactly like the Marlins, and I always thought there's was a lot lighter.

I would love to get one of the teal bill Mariners' caps. I've been looking for them for years. On the color, I remember when they were using that cap and you'd see the gamut in stores, everywhere from straight teal to a pure green. Always bugged me that they couldn't get the color consistent.

The Mariners' "Northwest Green" is more Green in print, and more Teal-ish in fabric/textile colors. Which seems to be the issue. Some manufacturers might be matching to the print color, and others might be just matching up to the closest color in stock - and that could be a straight Teal.

Here's a comparison between the Mariners' Northwest Green in print, and in fabric colors:

SeattleMarinersGreen_9999_SOL_SRGB.pngSeattleMarinersGreen_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

And, here's the same print vs. textile comparison for the Marlins:

FloridaMarlinsBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.pngFloridaMarlinsBlue_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

I got my teal Marlins cap on ebay for 10 bucks. In fact, the same guy (popmoonz) still has them for sale.

The one I got was legit, had the Diamond Collection (I think that's what it is) tag from the 90's still on it.

Here's one of the one's he has for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1990s-New-FLORIDA-MARL...93%3A1|294%3A50

EDIT: Also, as far as size goes, I got a 7 3/8 (my usual size) and it was a little big. I was able to shrink it by soaking it and letting it dry to my head though... so keep that in mind.

I got my teal Marlins cap on ebay for 10 bucks. In fact, the same guy (popmoonz) still has them for sale.

The one I got was legit, had the Diamond Collection (I think that's what it is) tag from the 90's still on it.

Here's one of the one's he has for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1990s-New-FLORIDA-MARL...93%3A1|294%3A50

EDIT: Also, as far as size goes, I got a 7 3/8 (my usual size) and it was a little big. I was able to shrink it by soaking it and letting it dry to my head though... so keep that in mind.

Same here. Not that I'm a Marlins fan, or anything. Just a big fan of the 1993-1994 look.

The only problem with Diamond Collection hats is that, for a time, New Era had some particular issues with quality control. The F on the cap that I purchased is off-center, but not by much. The hat was still much cheaper than the lids price.

Not sure if this will work for everyone, but my dad and I were just at Marshalls and TJ Maxx in Chicago (on Fullerton) and we found/bought a few of these - The two Yankees ones, some vintage Cubs ones, one of the Reds (me) and one of the White Sox (him).

Let me know if anyone else has luck.

Rob

The only problem with Diamond Collection hats is that, for a time, New Era had some particular issues with quality control. The F on the cap that I purchased is off-center, but not by much. The hat was still much cheaper than the lids price.

"For a time"?

Try "pretty much forever, persisting today."

Cooperstown Collection caps aren't made in a low-profile version. Your best bet is to rip the backing out, and it'll settle on your head.

I was admonished by a little old lady who worked in a hat shop in cooperstown for telling her i did just that. the lady knew her stuff. she told me to hit it with a hair dryer, causing the adhesive to melt. then slap it on your head, pulling it to your desired fit, while continuing to apply heat. worked great an has continued to workk great. i'd recommend it. she also taught us how to break our hats in just like the big leaguers as well as the technique to roll and fold the hand to fit it in your back pocket. that 45 minutes in the store was probably better than the actual hall of fame.

If you want to look for leaked items, go to a lids store. When I worked at Lids, we would release several items before they were even supposed to be sold. We had the Phillips World series cap, a week before they even won the world series, and we had the Blue Jays Canada Day hat, a whole 8 months before they used it.

9161.png1116.png11286.png2115.png

Cooperstown Collection caps aren't made in a low-profile version. Your best bet is to rip the backing out, and it'll settle on your head.

So for those of you that own a Cooperstown cap like these, do they fit/feel like the authentics do? I'd like to get that gold Bucs cap if it fits the same way. (You don't see it in the bright gold they use now very often. It's always that dingier gold.)

I was admonished by a little old lady who worked in a hat shop in cooperstown for telling her i did just that. the lady knew her stuff. she told me to hit it with a hair dryer, causing the adhesive to melt. then slap it on your head, pulling it to your desired fit, while continuing to apply heat. worked great an has continued to workk great. i'd recommend it. she also taught us how to break our hats in just like the big leaguers as well as the technique to roll and fold the hand to fit it in your back pocket. that 45 minutes in the store was probably better than the actual hall of fame.

That's very cool.

I've used the hairdryer method, but I don't really like the hard shell of the 59fifties. I like my caps softer and more pliable, which is why I rip the backing out altogether. Different strokes.

I've used the hairdryer method, but I don't really like the hard shell of the 59fifties. I like my caps softer and more pliable, which is why I rip the backing out altogether. Different strokes.

All the backing does is provide structure for the first two panels. And by distorting the shape of the cap, the backing in almost all cases makes the cap fit less well than it otherwise would. So removing the backing in no way damages the cap as an article of clothing, but it will in most cases help the cap fit better, and it will in all cases make the cap look more like a classic baseball cap. What's no to like about that? If you like having a bunch of little plastic spines holding up the front of your cap like a billboard, great -- but nobody should be chiding anyone for acting on a contrary preference.

20082614447.png

The first time? Maybe an hour or so. But once you get the hang of it, you can rip the backing out in about half that time.

With a good pair of tweezers and a sharp set of shears, plus a couple of caps worth of practice, it can be done in just under 20 minutes. You use the tweezers to pull all the vertical dark plastic threads out one-by-one, including any that are sticking out past the side seams. Then you use your fingers to push into the remaining buckram threads to separate the buckram from the cap fabric, lifting the center satin seam away from the cap as you go. Then, section by section, you can simply pull most of the buckram out of the side seams. Carefully use the scissors to cut the separated middle seam just below the button at the center of the cap, and then cut the same lifted seam as far down inside the sweat band as you can get it, and you're done. You wind up with a perfect slightly floppy baseball cap, a whole pile of very static-charged black plastic fibers, and a big mess of buckram threads attached to a satin New Era spine like a fish skeleton.

20082614447.png

Is there anything that can be done to the glue residue once all material has been removed?

Nothing that I've tried has shown any success. The good news: It's just a bunch of tiny little dots, they're on the inside where nobody can see them, and the glue is quite dry, so the cap will never glue itself to your scalp.

20082614447.png

Archived