2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the games flex-eligible... it was either Favre/Panthers or Bengals/Chargers.

And I think most of us agree that the matchup of two likely playoff teams would have more appeal than the Vikings finishing off John Fox's career.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

After the ending of the Eagles-Giants, and other games I've seen is can we get rid the unnecessary jawing between players?

Its like a war of saying hahahaha I'm better then you or hahahaha you suck

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I actually think the Vikings and Panthers was already scheduled for Sunday night. They didn't think this game needed to get moved because that Vikings have a chance to clinch the division.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Looking at the games flex-eligible... it was either Favre/Panthers or Bengals/Chargers.

What determines flex eligibility?

I'm praying Eagles @ Cowboys in week 17 gets pushed to 3 or 7:30.

I'm pretty sure that NBC can't take both games of an intradivisional match-up, and the first DAL-PHI game was on Sunday Night. I'm not positive about this, but I'm pretty sure that FOX is guaranteed at least one of these games.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think so. Not sure how much lead time is necessary though. Could be the same as the flex (7 days I think?).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I get that everybody loves Brett and that the Vikes are fully capable of beating up on sad, pathetic teams. But the purpose of the FLEX GAME is to NOT show teams who are mathematically eliminated and to NOT show teams who are starting Matt Moore.

6uXNWAo.png

edit... I am not as cynical about NBC slurping on Farve for week 15 as most people. After looking at the schedule, the pickings are rather slim outside of Cincinnati/San Diego for this Sunday. I believe CBS wanted to protect this game and so what other game could NBC have?

I saw, I came, I left.

I get that everybody loves Brett and that the Vikes are fully capable of beating up on sad, pathetic teams. But the purpose of the FLEX GAME is to NOT show teams who are mathematically eliminated and to NOT show teams who are starting Matt Moore.

This. When you look at the bigger picture, the Chargers/Bengals game means more then Brett Favre beating up on the Panthers to the soundtrack of Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth gushing over how he's the greatest of all time ever.

First things first - had a great time at the Saints-Falcons game though it was way too close for comfort. About how they're winning, sure, I was disappointed because Payton's Saints teams seemed to have shaken off the 'play down to the competition' thing but lately it's crept back in. I also fear they're losing focus and getting caught up in all the hype. Used to be game week stories were about how they were preparing for this aspect of the opponent's game or how to stop whatever player, now it's Drew Brees is on Leno and Drew Brees is going to be king of the Bacchus parade and so on. Focus, boys...focus!

My seats weren't good enough for any decent pics but I did shoot a brief video in the Super Georgia Dome after the game. IMO the Saints fans are a little over the top considering the way the game played out. I post this mainly because it illustrates why Falcons players have said it sometimes feels like they're on the road even when playing in their own stadium. Note of interest: starting at about 24 seconds into the video, check out the woman who's dancing behind the big guy in the gold jacket with the gigantic FDL on the back. If you know what to look for you can see how she did her head: the sides of her hair were pressed flat against her head and were colored black with a gold FDL; the top was done up in a gold Mohawk. :blink:

In fairness though, despite what the video implies, it was definitely a Falcons crowd overall and was extremely loud, unlike other Saints-Falcons games I've been to where there were so many Saints fans that the Falcons were booed while being introduced in their own stadium. :wacko:

About the Grimes interference call, at the game I thought it was a crazy bad call, but if you watch the replay (objectively), in the few seconds before the ball gets there he's clearly physically pushing Meachem out of his route. Grimes isn't in position to make the catch unless he interferes, and if he hadn't been close enough to catch the ball, we're not even talking about it because it's clearly interference. And BTW, I thought Mike Smith might literally have a stroke right there on the sideline a couple of times. And with all that said about the Grimes call, the Saints definitely got away with a few - Sedrick Ellis grabbed Redman's facemask on a scramble and Gay got away with a ridiculous PI/defensive holding that the refs must have been blind not to see. My wife laughed because I booed right along with the Falcons' faithful when they showed the replay on the jumbotron. Hey, I really try to be objective here...

And I'm still wondering about Payton's fake FG call. That was ridiculous, though I'm admittedly curious about whether Carl Nicks would have made the catch had Brunell gotten it out there to him. It's not too often that you see a 6 foot 5, 345 lb. guard running a flag route with his hand raised for the ball like he's Jerry Rice shaking the coverage. :D That was hilarious.

All in all, we can hem and haw all we want about how the Saints won, but the bottom line is the old cliche', a win's a win and in a very short time the details will be forgotten and all that will matter is they won their 13th game of the season, something they've never done before. I just hope that if the other shoe drops, it drops against Dallas, TB, or Carolina and not in the playoffs when a loss will end this magical season.

P.S. You've heard of the wildebeest? The Saints have the Vilmabeast! The man makes play after play after play.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I actually think the Vikings and Panthers was already scheduled for Sunday night. They didn't think this game needed to get moved because that Vikings have a chance to clinch the division.

Yeah, Vikes/Kitties was the regularly scheduled game. NBC flexed in the Vikes a couple weeks ago so they could get in on all the Favre knob slobbering. Sure Chargers/Bengals may be a game featuring two probable playoff teams, but come on, how can they miss out on the chance for sloppy fourteenths?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Not only am I unhappy with NBC ramming Favremania down our throats -- but since when did the NFL Network get to show TWO games?? So now nobody gets to see Colts-Jags AND Saints-Cowboys. Just great! :mad:

6uXNWAo.png

Glad to hear I'm not the only guy tired of the entire sporting world giving Favre a collective B.J.

Plus, wasn't flex scheduling created to avoid having the kind of matchups that wouldn't produce ratings, like the upcoming Vikings/Panthers game for next Sunday?

Glad to hear I'm not the only guy tired of the entire sporting world giving Favre a collective B.J.

Plus, wasn't flex scheduling created to avoid having the kind of matchups that wouldn't produce ratings, like the upcoming Vikings/Panthers game for next Sunday?

Perhaps NBC is counting on Brett Favre being a better ratings pull than the collective rosters of San Diego and Cincinnati. They may well be right.

That being said, the Chargers/Bengals match up is surely a more relevant match up. You oculd make a case for saying that as the Bengals are virtually certain of a play off spot, the Vikes are in a match up with as much riding on it, but surely a potential playoff dress rehearsal is worth putting in prime time?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Brett Favre beating up on the Panthers to the soundtrack of Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth gushing over how he's the greatest of all time ever.

Why wouldn't NBC want to showcase Brett Favre for one of their final SNF games since this is going to be Brett's farewell season?? Hell, John Madden might even come out of retirement to help knob Brett call the game and put Brett's face all over his goddamn horsetrailer!

6uXNWAo.png

Archived