2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

I do agree that whoever ends up lifting the Lombardi Trophy deserves it. But in terms of who to root for, some might want the Colts to, because there success over the last 10 years is deserving of it, or that Peyton Manning's career is worthy of a second Superbowl.

I'm of the opinion that you just need one Super Bowl to cement your legacy. Look at Elway. After he won his first against Green Bay everyone said that was it. The monkey was off his back, he finally had the last piece of the puzzle needed to complete his legacy. The second one against Atlanta a year later was just icing. No one said "ok, now lets see him win two" after the Green Bay game. He just needed one. That was it. So I don't think Payton Manning needs a second ring to really cement himself as one of the greats. He's won one, that's all he needs. The only time the number of rings comes into play is during the Manning vs Brady discussions when Pats fans boast that Brady has two more rings. Yet I think we all know that it takes more then the number of championships won to determine the greatness of any player.

As for the Pats, since when is cheating "overblown"? Cheating is very cut and dry. You're a cheater if you're caught breaking the rules. The Patriots qualify. Now how much their un-Kosher activities contributed to their three Super Bowl victories is wide open to discussion. Maybe they played a huge role, maybe they didn't really impact the games at all. It doesn't matter because what was once seen a mini dynasty era for the team will now be clouded in doubt. People will always wonder "how much of it was really earned?" when they think of the Patriots and their championship years.

Back to cheating though. They were caught breaking the rules to gain an advantage over their opponents. That certainly qualifies as cheating, nothing overblown at all. In fact I would say the opposite happened. After the initial story broke the NFL and all NFL related sports shows closed ranks and pretended like it never happened, perhaps to protect one of the league's premier franchises.

As for their arrogance, just go back and look at Super Bowl XLII. The Patriots going for it on fourth down, in the Super Bowl, within field goal range, with the lead, in the first half? That's arrogance. Of course any dominant team will have a little swagger, but the Patriots honestly thought they were the Almighty's gift to the NFL during those dominant years. Yes, Brady to Moss is/was entertaining, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the sheer amount of arrogance and underhanded smugness exhibited by that team. Also, having an exciting QB/WR combo doesn't excuse you from the rule book :P

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be outrageous, Brees and Manning are unbeaten.

1: Favre is 40

2: Favre "came out of retirement"

3: Favre's team has only lost one game so far.

4: Favre's team lost 6 games last year.

5. Favre is Favre.

That is how they would justify Favre winning the MVP. :P

3: Favre's team has only lost two games so far.

5. Favre is Favre.

Fixed. Two losses.

And I know you're being sarcastic, but just to add on...

No

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Brett Favre beating up on the Panthers to the soundtrack of Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth gushing over how he's the greatest of all time ever.

Why wouldn't NBC want to showcase Brett Favre for one of their final SNF games since this is going to be Brett's farewell season?? Hell, John Madden might even come out of retirement to help knob Brett call the game and put Brett's face all over his goddamn horsetrailer!

It's his last SNF game....this time for reals!

The only chance of this being Brett's last ever prime time game is if he wins Super Bowl 44 and goes out on top.

If that's what it takes for him to go the :censored: away.... C'MON VIKINGS!!!

6uXNWAo.png

3: Favre's team has only lost one game so far.

5. Favre is Favre.

It's based off of a media vote as well, right?

-------------------------------------------

Meanwhile in Ramland...

Don't attack the door when it hits you on the way out Richie.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Richie's a Nebraska guy too, right? :D

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Richie's a Nebraska guy too, right? :D

Yes, but they ended up kicking him out.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Chris Johnson is a good candidate for Ofeensive Player of the Year.

but MVP is a two way race between Brees and Manning.

I really think the MVP will be Drew Brees, especially with Manning likely sitting out in the next few games.

However, if (and I admit this is a huge if) he manages to run for over 2000 yards and lead the Titans to the playoffs after the start they had, my vote for MVP would go to Chris Johnson.

A detail I meant to bring up in my previous Saints-Falcons post: all three Saints TDs came on third down, including a 3rd-and-19 from the Falcons' 21. Ouch.

That sums up the Falcons' season on defense. Couldn't stop 3rd-and-long if they were playing the Browns and had 13 people on the field.

The only chance of this being Brett's last ever prime time game is if he wins Super Bowl 44 and goes out on top.

If that's what it takes for him to go the :censored: away.... C'MON VIKINGS!!!

Except we all know the only way he's ever gonna retire is when he's finally burnt his 32nd bridge. Let's just pray to the universe and all things holy that the UFL is long gone by then.

ESPN 980 (out of DC) is reporting that Redskins de facto GM Vinny Cerrato is resigning.

More than any other move that will happen at Redskins Park this (off)season, I will cheer most loudly and smile widest at this one. This guy just couldn't do the job.

This is only step one of quite a few steps left. Snyder must be REALLY trying to reel in one of those big fish coach/GM guys. Jim Zorn, the rest of the coaching staff, Clinton Portis, Jason Campbell, Chris Samuels, y'all are on notice. Pack your sh** and get ready to move.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

ESPN 980 (out of DC) is reporting that Redskins de facto GM Vinny Cerrato is resigning.

More than any other move that will happen at Redskins Park this (off)season, I will cheer most loudly and smile widest at this one. This guy just couldn't do the job.

This is only step one of quite a few steps left. Snyder must be REALLY trying to reel in one of those big fish coach/GM guys. Jim Zorn, the rest of the coaching staff, Clinton Portis, Jason Campbell, Chris Samuels, y'all are on notice. Pack your sh** and get ready to move.

If I were advising Snyder at this point, I would say get a Cowher or a Holmgren or a Shanahan in, pay them big bucks and leave them to run the football side of the franchise for a year or three without interfering at all.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived