Sign in to follow this  
BlueSky

2009 NFL Season Thread

So reportedly, Brad Chilldress wanted to pull Brett Favre when the Vikings were up 7-6 last night. Favre refused, of course.

Brett Favre calling the shots and holding his team hostage if he doesn't get what he wants?.... NO WAY!

The only really important question is this; was he having fun? The rest is just theater.

He's gotta be loving every moment of it -- This is EXACTLY what Brett Favre lives for!.... Overachieve for the first dozen weeks. Flame out. Stick it to his team, coach, and GM. Take his ball and go home.

I think someone may have taken my question in a way other than how I meant it. :D

So reportedly, Brad Chilldress wanted to pull Brett Favre when the Vikings were up 7-6 last night. Favre refused, of course.

Brett Favre calling the shots and holding his team hostage if he doesn't get what he wants?.... NO WAY!

The only really important question is this; was he having fun? The rest is just theater child like enthusiam and gunslinging.

It was really a sight to behold. There are two questions that need to be answered here. First off, how good are the Vikings and Brett Farve? Not only do they lose to the Cardinals, another playoff bound team, but they lose to a 5-8 Panthers team starting Matt Moore. Elite teams don't lose these games.

Secondly, do we all get to experience the "will I or won't I?" Farve dance after the Vikings are eliminated from the playoffs and the coverage that goes along with it?

The only really important question is this; was he having fun? The rest is just theater.

He's gotta be loving every moment of it -- This is EXACTLY what Brett Favre lives for!.... Overachieve for the first dozen weeks. Flame out. Stick it to his team, coach, and GM. Take his ball and go home.

And then he'll jerk them around next summer until the last week of training camp, then repeat the sequence until he's either unable to crawl onto the field or even the California Redwoods have lost interest.

On another note, why are the Browns, Seahawks, or anyone else interested in having Holmgren as their 'football czar'? If I understand the progression, he succeeded in Green Bay with a strong GM, then left, insisting in Seattle that he get all the responsibility, made the one Super Bowl then flamed out, and now he wants to oversee all football operations? Am I missing something here?

Because he can fire Mangini.

Dallas Cowboys' placekicking duties....

OUT: Saints game choke artist, Nick Folk.

IN: Saints game choke artist, Shaun Suisham.

Dallas Cowboys' placekicking duties....

OUT: Saints game choke artist, Nick Folk.

IN: Saints game choke artist, Shaun Suisham.

Wow, the Cowboys drop one bad kicker for ANOTHER bad kicker. They couldn't do the smart thing & try out a UFL kicker. Instead, they get another choke artist.

Jerry Jones has been on fire with these mid-season transactions the past few years.

Shaun Suisham is 10x worse than Nick Folk

On another note, why are the Browns, Seahawks, or anyone else interested in having Holmgren as their 'football czar'? If I understand the progression, he succeeded in Green Bay with a strong GM, then left, insisting in Seattle that he get all the responsibility, made the one Super Bowl then flamed out, and now he wants to oversee all football operations? Am I missing something here?

Because he can fire Mangini.

First off, I am not at all crazy about Holmgren coming to The Browns. It's just another case of Randy Lerner thinking "I've heard of that guy. Perhaps I should hire him." Lerner's main interest is in his soccer team. He has no idea how to run a football team. That's not a knock on him or saying he's a bad guy. It's just that Randy Lerner knows about as much about football as I do about soccer which is to say not much. Mike Holmgren is a "name" and he coached in some Super Bowls. In Randy Lerner's book that makes him the perfect choice to run The Browns. Lerner isn't familiar enough with the nuance of pro football to understand that while Holmgren was successful as a coach, he was not so great as a GM. So The Browns will hire Holmgren. Holmgren will decide to do it all himself (which never works) and the future of the franchise will likely look a lot like it looks today; hopeless.

On Mangini, a few weeks ago I would have given the guy a ride out of town myself if it meant getting rid of him. Today I'm not so sure. As crazy as it sounds, I think he's getting an awful lot out of very little with The Browns. I've seen marked improvement over the past month. Don't get me wrong, they're still awful but they've improved in a lot of areas and they've done it with a roster that is, to put it mildly, pretty weak. They just look like they might finally be headed in the right direction. I think if they give Mangini another season, get him an actual NFL QB, and leave him alone, people might be surprised. I'm not saying he's the answer but I do think he's done enough to have earned one more season.

I think Jim Zorn is trying his hardest to never get another head coaching job in the NFL.

"That was the most horrendus football play I've ever seen".

~ A friend of mine.

I guess you can't fool the Giants twice in the same season. I've got to give the Redskins credit, if they can't kick field goals, they might as well go for the end zone. ^_^

The simple fact that Brian Robiskie (the second round draft pick Mangini of all people traded down to get) has hardly played or that Jerome Harrison was a "healthy scratch" on occasions this year shows you why he needs to go. The Browns' last second round pick last year has played in all of I think two games this year.

I'll give him credit for winning a couple of games, but they've been against opponents that played terrible against the Browns (Steelers and Bills not scoring, Chefs not playing defense). Mangini has too big of an ego in my opinion. He acts like he's got the coaching talent of Belichick when in reality he has nowhere near the talent.

Or intelligence. And that, among other things, is why I call him Mandoofus.

The simple fact that Brian Robiskie (the second round draft pick Mangini of all people traded down to get) has hardly played or that Jerome Harrison was a "healthy scratch" on occasions this year shows you why he needs to go. The Browns' last second round pick last year has played in all of I think two games this year.

I'll give him credit for winning a couple of games, but they've been against opponents that played terrible against the Browns (Steelers and Bills not scoring, Chefs not playing defense). Mangini has too big of an ego in my opinion. He acts like he's got the coaching talent of Belichick when in reality he has nowhere near the talent.

Stop acting like a typical Cleveland fan. The minute some bench guy has a good game you people start acting like he's the second coming. Every guy on the bench who was drafted before the 6th round is always better than the guy playing in front of him. One game great game doesn't prove anything. Robiskie may not be that good. Did that ever occur to you? One huge game doesn't make a guy a superstar running back. Remember Timmy Smith?

How about we go back in time for a little more Browns history. Kelly Holcomb was the answer at QB. Why? Because he had one great game against The Steelers.

Then it was Derek Anderson. He was the QB of the future because he had 8 decent games against a soft schedule. He fell apart after those 8 games but you "Browns fans" always forget that part.

Gotta fire Chris Palmer so we can get Butch Davis. How'd that one work out? Butch Davis had to go because the dumb- :censored: listened to you people and decided Kelly Holcomb was the answer.

I could go on and on but I think you get the point. It's the very attitude you're displaying that has damned near driven me away from being a fan of Cleveland sports. It drives me nuts. We used to have the most knowledgeable football fans in The NFL. Now it's nothing but nonsense like your post. It's embarrassing.

I can tell you when The Browns will be on the path back to respectability. It will happen the very minute that Browns management stops paying attention to clueless Browns fans.

"That was the most horrendus football play I've ever seen".

~ A friend of mine.

*Extreme laughter*

- Everyone in my living room

My own feeling is that Holmgren should give Mangini at least 1 more season, especially as the Browns seem to be ending the season in reasonable form. But I don;t expect Mangini to make a go of it really in Cleveland. Problem is, is any big name head coach going to want to work under Holmgren? So you would be stuck with the 'young pup' rookie head coach scenario? Probably best to stick with Mangini for a year or two more?

Stop acting like a typical Cleveland fan. The minute some bench guy has a good game you people start acting like he's the second coming. Every guy on the bench who was drafted before the 6th round is always better than the guy playing in front of him. One game great game doesn't prove anything. Robiskie may not be that good. Did that ever occur to you? One huge game doesn't make a guy a superstar running back. Remember Timmy Smith?

How about we go back in time for a little more Browns history. Kelly Holcomb was the answer at QB. Why? Because he had one great game against The Steelers.

Then it was Derek Anderson. He was the QB of the future because he had 8 decent games against a soft schedule. He fell apart after those 8 games but you "Browns fans" always forget that part.

Gotta fire Chris Palmer so we can get Butch Davis. How'd that one work out? Butch Davis had to go because the dumb- :censored: listened to you people and decided Kelly Holcomb was the answer.

I could go on and on but I think you get the point. It's the very attitude you're displaying that has damned near driven me away from being a fan of Cleveland sports. It drives me nuts. We used to have the most knowledgeable football fans in The NFL. Now it's nothing but nonsense like your post. It's embarrassing.

I can tell you when The Browns will be on the path back to respectability. It will happen the very minute that Browns management stops paying attention to clueless Browns fans.

The point is, especially in the Robiskie (and Quinn case earlier) Mangini isn't giving the draft picks he traded down to get (the 4 2nd rounders) a chance to play. If you weren't going to play them, why'd you trade down to draft 'em?

The point is, especially in the Robiskie (and Quinn case earlier) Mangini isn't giving the draft picks he traded down to get (the 4 2nd rounders) a chance to play. If you weren't going to play them, why'd you trade down to draft 'em?

Teams miss on draft picks all the time. In Robiskie's case it may be that he's simply not ready to play. Just because he was a second rounder doesn't mean he was ready to step in and contribute. Or they just missed on the pick.

I think Brady Quinn has shown why he wasn't playing before. He's just not very good. Derek Anderson was worse so it was back to Quinn. The two of them together don't add up to a solid QB. Mangini was stuck with Quinn. He didn't draft him.

WOOOOO SUH!!!!!!!!

Thank you Seattle. I believe it is now time to shut down all the Rams remaining good players.

i wasnt aware there were/are any :P

Steven Jackson?

Yes, but if you're telling me that a guy like Robiskie can't get on the field for one of the worst offensive football teams (before the last few weeks) in NFL history, then why'd you draft him? There needs to be a chance given to him. I would have much rather had Malaluga then Robiskie at this point.