2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

The argument that "well, you could be a Lions fan" is BS - that's like saying that my broken arm shouldn't hurt because someone else has a broken leg (assuming a broken leg hurts worse - I wouldn't know.)

From this Lions fan:

No, that's like saying I don't want to hear about your broken arm because I in the same car wreck was thrown from the vehicle, breaking every bone in my body, before being run over by a steamroller. Come talk to me when your team goes 0-16 and maybe you'll find some sympathy for your "inept" QB and your "inept" coach. Until then consider yourself lucky that the team you grew up cheering for isn't a joke and STFU about "not winning the big one."

*cough*

Sorry about that. Please continue.

I get what you're saying. I know that back-to-back 3 win and 5 win seasons aren't nearly as bad as what the Lions are going through, but I've seen some horrible football. I don't expect, nor am I asking for any understanding from a Lions fan (or any fan for that matter - I'm just expressing my opinion in a vacuum about this one team - any other team is irrelevant) - and I do recognize that at least "having a shot" every year is better than the alternative. It just gets frustrating after a while when you get your hopes up only to have the rug pulled out from under you every single year. I think that if and when the Lions get good again, their fans would feel the same way after a while. It's impossible to say until it happens though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though Schaub leads Brady in a quite a few categories Brady leads in the few key ones like more TD's less INT's and more wins and less losses.It's not just numbers. Based on this years performance game on the line 4th quarter 2:00 minutes left you need a TD who do you want at QB Matt Schaub or Tom Brady? Thank You!

Honestly, wm isn't too far off. They're not a really good team, at least not right now. They haven't beaten anyone any good. They have an inept coach, and an inept QB who has one or two great throws per game, and the rest of the time throws at people's feet, makes the wrong reads, or takes ridiculous sacks. IMO, they're among the worst 11-win teams that I've seen. That being said, I'm hoping they prove me wrong this Sunday and in the playoffs - but I don't have any expectations for this team.

As for the pro bowlers, Asante Samuel is a joke. He has numbers, but that doesn't show how many times he gets beat becauase he's going for a pick, and how many times he simply refuses to even attempt to tackle anyone. Trent Cole gets sacks, but couldn't tackle me if I was running the ball. Jason Peters is soft and gutless. Horrible acquisition so far. He made it based on past reputation, certainly not on this season. DeShawn Jackson is great. He does need to be better in the red zone, but at his size, that's always going to be an issue. He's a legit pro bowler. Weaver is having a good second half of the season (would be better if the coach actually believed in giving the ball to the fullback on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1) but he's still just a fullback. If Westbrook wasn't hurt, we wouldn't be talking about Weaver.

The best Eagle is Sheldon Brown. He probably deserves to be on the pro-bowl more than any of those other guys I just mentioned. He's just quiet and does his job though, so he doesn't get noticed. He plays hurt, covers well, hits as hard as anyone in the league right now, and always seems to be around the ball.

Seriously, Vet? No matter the context, if you can ever find yourself making this statement, you may be in need of the services of a good mental health professional. :P

It's more like "a broken clock is still right twice a day." Will is going to accidentally make sense to someone every so often. Just roll with it.

:censored: that :censored:. There are some things in life that I just will not accept. :P

What if the clock was digital?

I saw, I came, I left.

Honestly, wm isn't too far off. They're not a really good team, at least not right now. They haven't beaten anyone any good. They have an inept coach, and an inept QB who has one or two great throws per game, and the rest of the time throws at people's feet, makes the wrong reads, or takes ridiculous sacks. IMO, they're among the worst 11-win teams that I've seen. That being said, I'm hoping they prove me wrong this Sunday and in the playoffs - but I don't have any expectations for this team.

As for the pro bowlers, Asante Samuel is a joke. He has numbers, but that doesn't show how many times he gets beat becauase he's going for a pick, and how many times he simply refuses to even attempt to tackle anyone. Trent Cole gets sacks, but couldn't tackle me if I was running the ball. Jason Peters is soft and gutless. Horrible acquisition so far. He made it based on past reputation, certainly not on this season. DeShawn Jackson is great. He does need to be better in the red zone, but at his size, that's always going to be an issue. He's a legit pro bowler. Weaver is having a good second half of the season (would be better if the coach actually believed in giving the ball to the fullback on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1) but he's still just a fullback. If Westbrook wasn't hurt, we wouldn't be talking about Weaver.

The best Eagle is Sheldon Brown. He probably deserves to be on the pro-bowl more than any of those other guys I just mentioned. He's just quiet and does his job though, so he doesn't get noticed. He plays hurt, covers well, hits as hard as anyone in the league right now, and always seems to be around the ball.

Seriously, Vet? No matter the context, if you can ever find yourself making this statement, you may be in need of the services of a good mental health professional. :P

It's more like "a broken clock is still right twice a day." Will is going to accidentally make sense to someone every so often. Just roll with it.

:censored: that :censored:. There are some things in life that I just will not accept. :P

What if the clock was digital?

It's all right there in the smartass guide book. If the clock turns out to be digital then you have to move on to another saying. In this case the proper replacement phrase would have been "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while."

BB52Big.jpg

The argument that "well, you could be a Lions fan" is BS - that's like saying that my broken arm shouldn't hurt because someone else has a broken leg (assuming a broken leg hurts worse - I wouldn't know.)

From this Lions fan:

No, that's like saying I don't want to hear about your broken arm because I in the same car wreck was thrown from the vehicle, breaking every bone in my body, before being run over by a steamroller. Come talk to me when your team goes 0-16 and maybe you'll find some sympathy for your "inept" QB and your "inept" coach. Until then consider yourself lucky that the team you grew up cheering for isn't a joke and STFU about "not winning the big one."

*cough*

now officially waiting for someone who was actually in a car accident to chime in

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

From this Lions fan:

*cough*

now officially waiting for someone who was actually in a car accident to chime in

I already did :P

although, obviously not as fatal as the one I described.

Even though Schaub leads Brady in a quite a few categories Brady leads in the few key ones like more TD's less INT's and more wins and less losses.It's not just numbers. Based on this years performance game on the line 4th quarter 2:00 minutes left you need a TD who do you want at QB Matt Schaub or Tom Brady? Thank You!

That depends. Does Schaub have access to the same illegal footage Brady does? :P

That depends. Does Schaub have access to the same illegal footage Brady does? :P

All I know is Schaub doesn't have the access to Gisele Bundchen as Tom Brady does....

I saw, I came, I left.

AFC Clinching scenarios.

8-7 NY Jets: Win over Cincinnati and in

8-7 Baltimore: Win over Oakland and in

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

8-7 Houston: HOU win + 1) NYJ loss + BAL loss or DEN loss, OR 2) BAL loss + DEN loss.

8-7 Pittsburgh: PIT win + 1) HOU loss + NYJ loss or BAL loss, OR 2) NYJ loss + BAL loss + DEN loss.

8-7 Denver: DEN win + 1) NYJ loss + losses by BAL or PIT, OR 2) NYJ loss + HOU win, OR 3) BAL loss + PIT loss or HOU win. Broncos can clinch berth with DEN loss any combination of losses by 1) PIT + BAL + HOU + JAC, OR 2) PIT + BAL + HOU + NYJ, OR 3) PIT + BAL + JAC + NYJ, OR 4) PIT + HOU + JAC + NYJ, OR 5) MIA + NYJ + BAL + HOU + JAC.

7-8 Miami: MIA win + NYJ loss + BAL loss + HOU loss + JAC loss.

7-8 Jacksonville: JAC win + 1) PIT loss + BAL loss + DEN loss + HOU loss, OR 2) PIT loss + BAL loss + DEN loss + NYJ loss, OR 3) PIT loss + BAL loss + HOU loss + NYJ loss, OR 4) PIT loss + DEN loss + HOU loss + NYJ loss, OR 5) NYJ loss + DEN loss + HOU loss + BAL loss.

Out of all the 8-7 teams that find themselves out right now Houston has the best chance because I can really see New England resting Brady, Moss, Welker in the second half. Then for KC and Oakland to play spoiler which they very well could.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

How the Bengals play it sunday night all depends on the Houston-New England game. A New England loss and the Bengals can clinch the 3 seed with a win over the Jets. A New England win over Houston and you might see JT O'sullivan under center for the Bengals tomorrow night.

Here's what I'd like to see: Patriots lose, Broncos win, Bengals win, Ravens win setting up a Bengals-Broncos rematch. Let's see Brandon Stokely pull that :censored: off again.

The good news is that it looks like my nightmare situation of facing the Steelers (and dealing with all of their fans) is pretty unlikely. If New England loses then the Steelers are basically eliminated. If New England wins then it would take an accidental win over the Jets by the Bengals for the Steelers to make the playoffs. This is of course contingent upon the Ravens beating Oakland, the Broncos beating KC, and the Steelers beating Miami.

PvO6ZWJ.png

& If McNabb is an inept QB, I can't wait to see what's worse than inept.

Based on the depth chart, Michael Vick.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Here's what I'd like to see: Patriots lose, Broncos win, Bengals win, Ravens win setting up a Bengals-Broncos rematch. Let's see Brandon Stokely pull that :censored: off again.

Coach McDaniels is benching Brandon Marshall and starting tight end Tony Scheffler for today's game against the Chiefs. Regardless if Denver wins, it's still a long shot for them to make the playoffs, and an even longer shot to beat Cincy in a rematch if Marshall stays on the bench if the Broncos can grab the Wild Card.

And for Denver, what a meltdown. It doesn't matter what your preseason expectations were -- To start 6-0 and miss the playoffs is plain embarrassing.

6uXNWAo.png

Wes Welker = Why you rest your starters...

Of course now we'll be subjected to the "Well the Patriots didn't have Welker so blah blah blah" as the excuse...

Nobody mentions the Jets lost Jenkins and Washington for the year or the Dolphins and Ronnie Brown or the Eagles and all their linemen, but you'll see...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Well it's off to the Meadowlands for the 75th someodd and final time to see the final game ever played there...

Jets Win & They're In. Lose & There is NO scenario where they still make it. So it IS a playoff game despite what the schedule says.

It's also the coldest game I'll ever have been to...gonna bundle up big time.

J!

E!

T!

S!

JETS!

JETS!

JETS!

(God I hope the Bengals see what happened to Welker and call off the dogs...I don't care about other teams or if they backed in against scrubs....you just gotta be in it to win it...)

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I know its only half, but I will say this: I've never been more embarassed to be a niner fan

I really hope Singletary isn't trying to prevent the Rams from getting the #1 overall pick.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Cleveland Browns look like they are on their way to their 4th straight win. Jerome Harrison with another 100 yard rushing performance. I wasn't too big on Mangini early on but I have to say that he's got a pretty bad team playing pretty good football right now. The turnaround on defense has been almost amazing. I hope Mike Holmgren gives Mangini one more season.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived