Minnesota Wild Logo

Bmac

For my NHL 3rd Jersey Sereies, I am working on a new jersey for the Minnesota Wild. With the Wild being my favorite hockey team, I have a bit of a bias and I want it to be perfect before I release it. It was originally going to be released last week, but I decided to put together a few more options. So over the past few days I have been sketching ideas on paper and putting them together on the computer. One of my ideas was to make a new logo with the state of Minnesota. I wanted to combine the Wild's State of Hockey logo with aspects of their current primary logo. I made the outline of Minnesota tracing a map image and then added the wilderness effects (trees, sky, star, river, sun/moon) to get a new Wild logo. I plan to use it as either the main crest on a jersey or a shoulder patch. I wanted to get some feedback on it first. What do you think?

img removed

**Update**

img removed

Since this has already gotten threadjacked a bit, I suppose I can show something similar I did in early 2003, for a rec team that was to be called the Aurora:

orig-aurora-sm.gif

This eventually changed color schemes to get away from the Wild set, and turned into the final product for that team:

aurora-logo.png

Those jerseys turned out pretty nice:

aurora-front-sm.jpg

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Since this has already gotten threadjacked a bit, I suppose I can show something similar I did in early 2003, for a rec team that was to be called the Aurora:

orig-aurora-sm.gif

This eventually changed color schemes to get away from the Wild set, and turned into the final product for that team:

aurora-logo.png

aurora-front-sm.jpg

To get even more off topic.... How come Minnesotans have so much pride in the shape of their state? Just wondering. It is a somewhat unique shape, but I find it interesting that so many concepts and even a Twins official logo uses that shape. Not too many other states do that. California and Florida for sure... Arizona as well. Anyone else?

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

orig-aurora-sm.gif

aurora-logo.png

aurora-front-sm.jpg

To get even more off topic.... How come Minnesotans have so much pride in the shape of their state? Just wondering. It is a somewhat unique shape, but I find it interesting that so many concepts and even a Twins official logo uses that shape. Not too many other states do that. California and Florida for sure... Arizona as well. Anyone else?

I think that states like that, and also texas, just have unique shapes that are instantly recognizable in a logo. States in the mountain region and in the northeast are either too nondescript or too small to translate well.

bmac, I think you have the right idea, but all the swoops like the river (and the shooting star too) seem to be not stylized enough, and they are a little messy too. Try cleaning them up more in the style of the logo posted right under yours, just look at it for help with the swoops. And a little yellow wouldn't hurt.

orig-aurora-sm.gif

aurora-logo.png

aurora-front-sm.jpg

Texas teams.

75.gif

b413e25yyt7wzpnjybthhyj5j.gif

rkp4czhvzb9c6ur4ml3f1ghhm.gif

5amlwx.jpg

Yeah you're both right about Texas teams as well. It probably is true that its just about the uniqueness of the shape that makes it so appealing. I may have jumped the gun a bit though because I know the saints have a louisianna shaped logo and the nets used to have a new jersey shape in their logo. Also some of the carolina teams have been accused of hiding the shape within the logo. I guess its not as rare as I thought. Are there any others from the 4 majors?

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Yeah you're both right about Texas teams as well. It probably is true that its just about the uniqueness of the shape that makes it so appealing. I may have jumped the gun a bit though because I know the saints have a louisianna shaped logo and the nets used to have a new jersey shape in their logo. Also some of the carolina teams have been accused of hiding the shape within the logo. I guess its not as rare as I thought. Are there any others from the 4 majors?

Well its not the entire state, but the Islanders use the shape of Long Island in their logo. Also the now defunct Cleaveland Barons of the NHL used the shape of Ohio in their logo. Also the players' sleeve numbers were placed inside the state.

• 1 month later...

You should think about making the sun/moon/floating sky orb yellow, to further tie in the new logo to the existing Wild logo.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Not many teams use their state name. Other than the aforementioned Stars, Astros, Rangers, Barons, Islanders, Saints and Nets, the California Angels used to use the shape of the state in their logo. The Milwaukee Brewers had an alternate logo with the "Miller" M on the state of Wisconsin. The Tampa Bay Lightning had the shape of the state of Florida in one of their alternate logos. However, one of the earliest to use the shape of the state was the MPLS Lakers. On another point, there have been a number of teams that incorporate the state or city flag into the logo. (Colorado Rockies hockey, Baltimore Orioles and Ravens, Arizona Cardinals)

Archived