New football uniforms for University of North Dakota

gosioux76

From the Grand Forks Herald:

jersey2.jpg

jersey1.jpg

jersey3.jpg

And the story is here.

Not surprisingly, the uniforms read "North Dakota" under the collar and has no Sioux logos or any indication that the team is called "Fighting Sioux." The previous set had the sioux logo under the collar. The story also indicates that men's hockey and basketball will also get new uniforms, so it seems the eradication of the Sioux logo has officially begun.

An interesting and somewhat mortifying detail from the story:

The Sioux coaching staff came up with the new football uniforms.

“Nike has a uniform builder; we played around with it and presented the uniform to the staff,” UND coach Chris Mussman said. “That’s how we came up with it.

“It didn’t take that much time.”

NDLogo.gif

I like that they are trying to make their interlocking "ND" more unique than their old one (above), which looked too much like Notre Dame's. It's great that they are moving away from an identity that area tribes do not approve of, and I applaud North Dakota for finally doing so.

Well, I saw that new interlocking logo a few months ago, wasn't sure if it was real or not. It doesn't look bad, it's just kinda sad that it came to be the "Notre Dame ND", even though North Dakota had it first. I also saw those unis on a GF Herald blog in March. They aren't terrible, or too different than what they had before (now with piping!), they actually look better here in person than on the graphic. I really wish the coach didn't admit that team builder thing... tsk tsk.

Also nice to see more green, less black. I REALLY hope they ditch the black pants. It's not the 90's anymore, I think that look has passed.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Here are the new ND logos, wordmark, and secondary logo. Interesting to note the use of Gray. Used to be just Green/Black/White.

undnewlogos.png

From the Graphics Standards page:

http://www.und.edu/dept/our/web_assets/logos/NewArtwork.pdf

I don't like the way NORTH DAKOTA fits into the shape of the State. I think ND is too "narrow" to pull it off, whereas South Dakota would make it work seeing as the state is more rectangle-ish...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Here are the new ND logos, wordmark, and secondary logo. Interesting to note the use of Gray. Used to be just Green/Black/White.

undnewlogos.png

From the Graphics Standards page:

http://www.und.edu/dept/our/web_assets/logos/NewArtwork.pdf

I don't like the way NORTH DAKOTA fits into the shape of the State. I think ND is too "narrow" to pull it off, whereas South Dakota would make it work seeing as the state is more rectangle-ish...

I disagree. The state logo is by far my favorite.

NDLogo.gif

I like that they are trying to make their interlocking "ND" more unique than their old one (above), which looked too much like Notre Dame's. It's great that they are moving away from an identity that area tribes do not approve of, and I applaud North Dakota for finally doing so.

I immediately thought of Notre Dame - because they ALSO have similar interlocking "ND" marks....these are from a logosheet dated February 1, 2006:

NotreDameU_NDMarks.png

The interlocking "ND"s aren't exact, but it's a similar idea.

i hate the logo on the helmet. not only is it too close to Notre Dame, but its just awful looking.

they also commited branding sin, putting no thought into their design choices. just going with a modern uniform. that said, it doesn't look too bad. i just hate they never asked "why" when putting the piping on the uniform, or going with the block numbers

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

i hate the logo on the helmet. not only is it too close to Notre Dame, but its just awful looking.

they also commited branding sin, putting no thought into their design choices. just going with a modern uniform. that said, it doesn't look too bad. i just hate they never asked "why" when putting the piping on the uniform, or going with the block numbers

For a university in a frugal state that's going to be going through a major rebranding expense in the next few years, it makes perfect sense to me why they went a cheaper route. If anything, what should be questioned is why bother to do it now. If UND is going to no longer be the Fighting Sioux in coming years, why not just rebrand then?

undnewlogos.png

Bosack strikes again!

I remember seeing on his site some time long ago that he (or his company--is it just him or does he have associates?) was working on some new stuff for North Dakota. Given what he had to work with, now the the NCAA has gone the "p/c" route, I like it--it all came out nice and fresh...and simple. It's gotten to where I can now tell a Bosack job on sight, now that I know certain visual clues of his work.

On another note...did North Dakota really have the interlocking "ND" monogram before Notre Dame? If so, this is the first I've heard about it. It also wouldn't surprise me...and if it is true, then UND athletics and the Princeton Tigers football program have a little something in common...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

undnewlogos.png

Bosack strikes again!

I remember seeing on his site some time long ago that he (or his company--is it just him or does he have associates?) was working on some new stuff for North Dakota. Given what he had to work with, now the the NCAA has gone the "p/c" route, I like it--it all came out nice and fresh...and simple. It's gotten to where I can now tell a Bosack job on sight, now that I know certain visual clues of his work.

On another note...did North Dakota really have the interlocking "ND" monogram before Notre Dame? If so, this is the first I've heard about it. It also wouldn't surprise me...and if it is true, then UND athletics and the Princeton Tigers football program have a little something in common...

Yes, I believe they even went to court at some point. I think there is an agreement between the 2 schools that if the ND is used for apparel, the name of the school must accompany it.

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

The beveled ND is beautiful. I just hate what it means.

What does it mean?

If I'm not mistaken I think Justin was a supporter of keeping the Sioux logo (after losing his Illini logo), so the new ND logo is a sign of the end of the Sioux head.

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

A green, interlocking ND is going to strike the vast majority of people as Notre Dame. The good folks at North Dakota ought to try to carve out (or hang onto) an identity that is unique and all their own.

FsQiF2W.png

The beveled ND is beautiful. I just hate what it means.

What does it mean?

If I'm not mistaken I think Justin was a supporter of keeping the Sioux logo (after losing his Illini logo), so the new ND logo is a sign of the end of the Sioux head.

That's right. Not worth getting taking the thread in that direction is all.

Anyways, the beveled ND with the sharp serifs is nicer than anything I've seen Notre Dame do with the ND.

Archived