UFL Team Names & Logos

AJM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Football_League_(2009)

On July 26th, 2009 the nicknames of the first four UFL teams were discovered to be the Las Vegas Locomotives, New York Sentinels, Orlando Tuskers, San Francisco Rockfish, as these names were registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office and appeared in their online databases at that time.

I was browsing wikipedia and noticed that the team names had been listed...possibly by accident. So apparently the franchies are...

LAS VEGAS LOCOMOTIVES

NEW YORK SENTINELS

ORLANDO TUSKERS

SAN FRANCISCO ROCKFISH

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the exception of the Sentinels the other three names sound like minor league names- and :censored: names at that. I would rather hope it's some schmuck leaving a fiction on Wikipedia s is often the case. If it's true, then they took a mere four teams and couldn't even manage decent names collectively. If you want to compete with the like of the NFL/CFL you need to have iconic and timeless identities. Insofar as these nicknames are concerned, I really don't see it.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Personally, I think (with the possible exception of the Sentinels) that the names could be just some of many "nickname ruses" used to keep the real one a secret. They're even registered on GoDaddy.com...and teams have done that with other ruse names before.

(bonus point: can anybody name the real films produced under the title ruses: RKO 281, Blue Harvest, Planet Ice, Changing Seasons, Grand Tour, Till Death For Glory, The Intimidation Game, Prime Directive-and its "sequel" Prime Directive 2, Rory's First Kiss, Corporate Headquarters, Rasputin)

bYhYmxh.png

I wouldn't bet money on any of these being final team names, but I do like the rockfish name. A great fish name for a team, one that I've always wanted to see used in pro sports. My only question is whether there actually are any rockfish in San Francisco.

20082614447.png

(bonus point: can anybody name the real films produced under the title ruses: RKO 281, Blue Harvest, Planet Ice, Changing Seasons, Grand Tour, Till Death For Glory, The Intimidation Game, Prime Directive-and its "sequel" Prime Directive 2, Rory's First Kiss, Corporate Headquarters, Rasputin)

I remember when "Rory's First Kiss" shot here in Chicago. That fooled precisely no one, given the large number of Gotham City Police cars in the area.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

LAS VEGAS LOCOMOTIVES

What, no "Vegas" theme?? I cannot believe another Sin City team passed on "Kings", "Snake Eyes", or "Hangover".

NEW YORK SENTINELS

They couldn't come up with anything that rhymes with Jets, Mets or Nets?

ORLANDO TUSKERS

Worse than all late-90s NHL expansion nicknames combined.

SAN FRANCISCO ROCKFISH

See Orlando Tuskers.

6uXNWAo.png

Tuskers, thats awful! A Tusker is actually another name for a wild hog, like the ones that run wild in south Florida around the Everglades(nowhere near Central Florida).

I guess it doesn't matter, the Tuskers will only be around as long as the Rage were in Orlando.

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

Tuskers, thats awful! A Tusker is actually another name for a wild hog, like the ones that run wild in south Florida around the Everglades(nowhere near Central Florida).

I guess it doesn't matter, the Tuskers will only be around as long as the Rage were in Orlando.

Is that what it is? I thought a Tusker was a *CENSORED FOR THE UNDER-18 CROWD*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Personally, I think (with the possible exception of the Sentinels) that the names could be just some of many "nickname ruses" used to keep the real one a secret. They're even registered on GoDaddy.com...and teams have done that with other ruse names before.

RKO281 - Citizen Kane

Blue Harvest - Return of the Jedi

Planet Ice - Titanic

Changing Seasons - Fellowship of the Ring

Grand Tour - Tje Two Towers

Prime Directive 1 & 2 - Transformers 1 and 2

Rory's First Kiss - Dark Knight

Corporate Headquarters - Star Trek

Intimidation Game - Batman Begins

Rasputin - Iron Man 2

Till Death For Glory - Return of the King

These names are so bad, I hope they are decoys.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

LAS VEGAS LOCOMOTIVES

What, no "Vegas" theme?? I cannot believe another Sin City team passed on "Kings", "Snake Eyes", or "Hangover".

Technically it is a Las Vegas theme all be it not one that most people think of when they think of Las Vegas. Las Vegas after all was established as a railroad town for former Montana Senator William A. Clark's San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad. So although Locomotives in itself is not a great name for the team, it does have a Las Vegas theme to it.

HumanitarianBowl.png

LAS VEGAS LOCOMOTIVES

Technically it is a Las Vegas theme all be it not one that most people think of when they think of Las Vegas. Las Vegas after all was established as a railroad town for former Montana Senator William A. Clark's San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad. So although Locomotives in itself is not a great name for the team, it does have a Las Vegas theme to it.

I get the history, but I still think it should be the Las Vegas Locos. You can keep the train imagery, but make it a crazy train.

20082614447.png

Archived