UFL Team Names & Logos

AJM

Yep. It'd look better without it, but it's not wrong.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll just go ahead and grade these for you all....

Redwoods: B+

This is the only logo of the four which I approve of. Too bad they'll be screwing it up with neon green unis.

Tuskers: C-

I now know that a "Tusker" is that hog from the Lion King.

Sentinels: D

Yawn.

Locos: F!

Umm... Yeah... Firefly's comment sums it up well.

6uXNWAo.png

Well, at the very least, the UFL logos that have been unveiled strike me as being well-rendered. That isn't always the case with alternative sports leagues, many of which resort to adopting team logos that look like Clip-Art. These have obviously been designed by someone who has undergone some training. That said, none of these marks strikes me as being particularly well-suited to serving as the primary mark for a major-professional sports team.

The California Redwoods logo look as if it should be adorning an upscale organic supermarket chain, a boutique hotel in the Pacific Northwest, or updated U.S. National Parks Service uniforms.

The Las Vegas Locomotives logo could serve as part of a major-pro sports team's logo. On its own, it is simply a wordmark. While the rendering of said wordmark in the shape of a locomotive cattle-guard (cow-catcher) is reasonably clever, the use of gradients is over-the-top.

The New York Sentinels logo is too corporate in feel. It strikes me as something you'd see being used by the manufacturers of anti-virus software.

The Florida Tuskers logo is perfect for a pro sports franchise... a minor-pro sports team. It has too juvenile a feel for a team in a league purporting to aspire to major-pro status. This guy would look perfect cavorting on the sidelines as a kid-friendly mascot, or adorning children's souvenirs.

CA: Nice concept, but way too detailed.

LV: Terrible.

NY: That S may as well stand for Stupid.

FL: Best of the bunch by far.

ALL: If those gradients are on the actual helmet logos, automatic F. Especially Florida; why the hell would a hog be shiny?

spacer.png

California does have a nice concept, and it would be a little better if it wasn't confined to the league's lime green color. (Dark green and red, perhaps?)

I feel the same way for New York, although the building within the "S" does make it look too corporate. Midnight blue would be a better primary color, with perhaps red and gold as secondary colors (I want to think the NYPD and FDNY use those colors in their insignias).

Florida is actually okay as is; it's not too bad of a logo, and the blue on the helmet actually stands out. The "supportive mark 2" by the face mask edges are a nice touch, though I wonder if they were put in a hard-to-notice position on the helmet.

Las Vegas' logo looks too comical to take seriously, IMHO, though I do respect the designers' inspiration reasons. I do have to give kudos to them for actually adding their inspiration/reasoning to the PDF files for all of the helmets.

Archived