Tablets, CS4 and an iMac...

chuckymack

So anyway, with the new school semester fast approaching, I figured I'd get some input. I've decided that an upgrade may be necessary in my home facilities?I currently use a Mac Mini with Mac OSX Tiger and Adobe CS3 Design Premium.

My school just upgraded to CS4 (the smart guides in InDesign are a Godsend) and I'm thinking an upgrade may not be a bad idea. I'd just like to get your opinions on the following:

? Adobe CS4 Design Premium

? Apple iMac

? Wacom tablets

Do you think any of the upgrades would be a significant advantage over what I have now? Are there any products you swear by that I'm not mentioning? Please let me know!

Sigs are for sissies.

I won't comment on the best tablet, software or new machine,etc. However, I will point out that if the rumors are true re:Mac tablet, I would advise against a 1st generation machine.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I tend to avoid 1st generation of any tech thing. I usually wait a couple months even to buy games that are released due to bugs. 1st Gen anything technical means that you are a beta tester and not getting paid. As far as the Imac, which one are you thinking about? I have a 24" and the size alone of the screen was worth the purchase. I got tired of having two things open on a 19" pc and not knowing where the other one was. I now can have 3 or four things open and just click which one I want. On the CS4, I have Production Premium, so I'm not sure on Design, but how far along are you in school? If you still have time to go, then I'd keep CS3 until you graduate, and most people I talk to just use whatever version of Adobe products that they need that work for them. I'd hold off on buy or upgrading to CS4 until you get a job and find out what version your company uses and then go with that one. You may end up doing websites and not even need to upgrade to CS4. Don't purchase a program because you can, purchase one that you need. I didn't have the full package as I just bought my imac in December, so I purchased the package as a graduation/professional reason. One of the best ways to make money, is to spend less, if you don't need it, then don't buy it.

My college is still using CS3, which suits me fine. However, in a situation opposite to yours, some people have had problems switching documents between CS4 on their own machines and CS3 in college. Seemed to happen a lot with InDesign, and though I don't think it's anthing more than an annoyance that can be worked around, but it might be something to think about.

While I love my iMac, if I were you, I would not purchase anything until I looked at the Apple tablet that is (strongly rumored to be) coming out in September.

http://gizmodo.com/5323446/ft-claims-apple...ne=true&s=x

Also, always check the buying guide before purchasing from Apple: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

I think you guys are talking about 2 different tablets.

The apple tablet is a tablet styled computer. Wacom tablets are essentially a mouse that is used like a pen.

Tablets, go with Wacom. Never used anything else but I've loved my little one at home (3"x5", allows me to travel with it very easily) as well as a bigger one at work (I think its 5"x7")

I work off two screens at home and the 3x5 is fine for it. If you've got the money go big, but personally I think its one area you can save a little money. I'd rather have a larger monitor than a larger wacom.

My college is still using CS3, which suits me fine. However, in a situation opposite to yours, some people have had problems switching documents between CS4 on their own machines and CS3 in college. Seemed to happen a lot with InDesign, and though I don't think it's anthing more than an annoyance that can be worked around, but it might be something to think about.

Ah yes, the version problem with Adobe. I have never figured out why you can open a photoshop document in any version and yet with Illustrator and In Design you have to back save to the the prior version or whatever you have, and even then that doesn't mean it'll work in a prior version. There is no reason for this at all or why you can't open a newer version in an older version with maybe a downloaded plugin or something provided free by Adobe. Oh wait, that means they won't make as much money.

Archived