Comets - Nehl Redesign Project

creativelysain

Why aren't you using gradients or fades? For this logo I just think it's almost a must.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I haven't replied, I've been gone al day with no computer access.

I'll fix the direction and try to work in some of the puck ideas. This one was the toughest concept I think overall (and the Ice Cats one), and all the other ideas so far have been pretty good too, since there is only so much you can do with it.

Just a thought here, and I will try to come up with a VERY rough sketch myself....

It's kind of hard to come up with any "Action", so to speak... The very nature of the comet logo is just... Streaking... Across the sky... so I propose this... Maybe a twist of the puck in the streak part? I know it makes little sense now, but I'll try and sketch something out....

Edit: Here's what I meant.... PLEASE KEEP IN MIND... I obviously did this in paint, and right now I have a cast on my right arm, so I have very little control over the finer motor movements right now. Actually, I got so frustrated I quit.. :cursing:

But, I hope this conveys my message...

Cometrough.jpg

Good point... Here's one thing to consider while determining the color scheme.. remember they will most likely be using NHL blanks... under the current scheme, Calgary would be an obvious choice, but a switch to blue could see Toronto as a possibility....

While using NHL blanks may have been what the Buffalo franchise did, these other teams may not have done the same. We are basically pitching a logo change to the teams. Assuming that their budget is very small, like a team in a league this size would be, keeping the same or similar color palate would be a wise move.

Also, while i agree comets are icy, we alrewady have two teams out of four featuring blue, blue-green, grey so changing a third team to that gives another reason not to change their palate.

I thinkt he budget reason is enough for them not to want to change the palate. A new logo is one hting, all new items for EVERYTHING because of a color change is quite another.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Yes, comets are cold. Technically we should be working in ice colors once again. But the team chose the name and colors so, we do what we can with this i think.

That makes my concept look like a meteor really, but here goes nothing.

comets1.jpg

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Ok, here is my original with the comets flipped around:

http://www.geocities.com/lightbluevale/Moh...ley-Comets3.gif

and here is my new idea ( I have no new wordmarks yet, still working on that):

http://www.geocities.com/lightbluevale/newComets.gif

It's supposed to be a puck, but I think it looks like a shiny ball, any advice on how to fix that? And, what direction should it be facing

Wow Sterling, thats fantastic, it blows mine away completely! :notworthy:

I have been working on my concepts for hours, nea, DAYS.... here is my second attempt.

comets_saturn.gif

I'm noticing how similar this is to Sterlings, so appologies for that.

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

OK, here is the prefaced with a "it's in the developmental 20 minute sketch phase" concept for the Comets. I'm pulling from the Blue Jackets color palette and going for a space badge retro feel. I know it needs work. Does it have potential?

Comets1.gif

OK, here is the prefaced with a "it's in the developmental 20 minute sketch phase" concept for the Comets. I'm pulling from the Blue Jackets color palette and going for a space badge retro feel. I know it needs work. Does it have potential?

Yeah it does, but in the badge theme I see more of a secondary... with a slightly more elaborate primary... could definitely work as a primary, just reminds me more of a secondary...

...but that's a sweet idea... I like the space-retro look.

"...his boy Elroy..."

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Yeah it does, but in the badge theme I see more of a secondary... with a slightly more elaborate primary... could definitely work as a primary, just reminds me more of a secondary...

...but that's a sweet idea... I like the space-retro look.

"...his boy Elroy..."

I would have to agree with Syphi about it being a secondary logo, but it does have potential and I like it.

duke-white-sm.gifcavs2-sm.gifyankees2-sm.gifga-sm.gif

duke.gif

brownsSig.gif

Comets1.gif

Holy shiznittlebambizzle!!

I love it!! I do agree with the fact it seems more secondary than primary. I like the enitre look, but the top left corner could use a star or two... continue that "Space look". The only problem I really see is yet ANOTHER blue team. That makes 3 out of 4.....

Maybe make the blue *GASP* black?

Once again... :notworthy:

I would say drop a white border aroudn the C, then tilt the C, puck and trail back about 20degrees, to evenly distribute it in the blue triangle.

I'd also try black. And lighten up the red, to a more true red, rather than maroon. This should be our black team, with bright red, yellow, and white highlights.

ΓΔΒ!

Random thoughts about CCSL Board efforts on behalf of the Mohawk Valley Comets...

While we all realize that comets aren't the fiery objects that Mohawk Valley's current logo would have us believe them to be, it's been a wise choice for this board's designers to maintain palettes along the lines of Red/Orange/Yellow/Gold. Should all of the ECHL teams opt to accept the logos that are currently being designed for them on this site, we wouldn't want there to be a preponderance of "cool" color schemes throughout the league.

In the case of the identity projects that are being carried out on behalf of the existing three NEHL teams, the designers seem to have remained true to what the teams have already established logo-wise. For instance, the proposed Jamestown Titans logo is a nicely updated, cleaned-up version of their current mark. The proposed designs for both the Connecticut Cougars and York Ice Cats are realistic depictions of "big cats", which is similar to what the teams are using now... at least in as much as the existing logos aren't overtly "cartoon-y". (Granted, the work of our designers is superior in terms of originality and execution.) The reason I bring this up? Well, there me be a clue as to how to proceed with the Mohawk Valley Comets identity package contained therein.

Currently, Mohawk Valley utilizes a poorly rendered anthromorphic ball of flame as their logo/mascot. We're talking "clip-art city". However, is there even a scintilla of a direction in which the new logo could go, trapped within that decidely minor-league little "guy"? I think there is.

First, let's recognize that the North Eastern Hockey League IS minor-league. Therefore, you aren't bound by what some might regard as the rather staid conventions of designing for a more tradition-bound, "serious" major-league team. So, as a starting point, let's say that you commit to keeping the anthromorphic comet mascot. Is it possible to render him in a "hipper", more aggressive and active style?

Start by rendering the "tail" of the comet as Sterling and paynomind have: i.e. speeding from a point in the distance, along a curving/sweeping path. The trajectory of Sterling's is almost identical to what I've visualized in my "mind's eye". Then utilizing anthromorphic attributes similar to those in Mohawk Valley's current logo, bring the "head" of the comet "to life". Give it your version of the tried-and-true aggressive minor-league mascot face: snarling mouth, bared teeth, knitted eyebrows. Take it a step further by giving this character a pair of arms/hands clutching a hockey stick. Maybe a smaller "tail" would be trailing from the stick's blade. Hey! A variation that would pay homage to paynomind's latest, would be to make the comet's "head" an anthomorphized puck (3/4 view?)... still with the arms/hands clutching a hockey stick. The "tail would still be Red/Oragne/Yellow/Gold... the puck/"head" Black/Grey/White highlights. Wordmark could run across bottom of logo, just beneath hockey stick, following angle of stick.

My goal in thinking out loud like this is to get us thinking "outside the box", both in terms of what I've seen many of you guys do before with your designs AND in contrast to the other logos that you're currently designing for NEHL teams.

Just my "two cents".

Brian in Boston

Archived