Comets - Nehl Redesign Project

creativelysain

Okay... I just saw rozilla's "Retro Futuristic" themed logo. Is there a way to combine some of my more anthromorphized character notes in with that "retro-future" theme? Whether it is rendering the comet and/or puck in the aforementioned theme, or creating a new astronaut/alien-type character (though the latter starts to pull away from the name "Comets").

Brian in Boston

P.S. Damn! I just saw nitro's work, too. This baby's starting to heat up!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate you all... lol... if i dont get started soon Im gonna have to demote my self to crayolas...lol... awesome work guys.... as always you guys make me feel bad... (kidding nitro just messing with you)... Once i get my stuff together ill get mine up there no matter what it looks like....

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Okay, here's my crack at this. I based mine around paynomind's concept after asking his permission to do my own version.

Phew. Me likey.

How come I can't see Ro's? PUlled?

:therock:

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Wow.

I realize how much we need iDonovan rather than me doing things with faces. I'm hesitant to even post it.

Oh, the hell with it. It is awful, but I'll post it.

No laughing.

cometface.gif

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

OK, here is the prefaced with a "it's in the developmental 20 minute sketch phase" concept for the Comets. I'm pulling from the Blue Jackets color palette and going for a space badge retro feel. I know it needs work. Does it have potential?

Comets1.gif

Tony,

You amaze me everytime with your designs. Your one solid designer!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Eh, I'm almost tempted not to post this, as I'm such an inferior artist, and this is pretty similar to what's already been proposed. But I worked hard on this, dang it! I'm a big fan of chaos and randomness, and this seemed like a good logo to try this with, so here goes...

Jersey Crest:

comet_logo.jpg

Wordmark:

comet_wordmark.jpg

I tend to lean towards Nitro's design. I like the colors, they say "comets" to me more than some of the other colors used. Comets are red hot, I think the yellow/red show that.

I think the mark, with the tails coming off the "C" like the tail coming off the Comet/"O" gives a good sense of speed on an upward trajectory.

Overall, it's very strong. It's a fast puck. It's an "O", it's a Comet. I'd buy a hat with that on there (if I didn't hate the NHL Flames/NFL Chiefs so much that i have something against red/yellow.)

I tend to lean towards Nitro's design. I like the colors, they say "comets" to me more than some of the other colors used. Comets are red hot, I think the yellow/red show that.

I think the mark, with the tails coming off the "C" like the tail coming off the Comet/"O" gives a good sense of speed on an upward trajectory.

Overall, it's very strong. It's a fast puck. It's an "O", it's a Comet. I'd buy a hat with that on there (if I didn't hate the NHL Flames/NFL Chiefs so much that i have something against red/yellow.)

FWIW, comets consist of ice and dust. There's not enough friction in space to generate heat.

I think at some point you have to trash everything and start all over (a good idea if you have a terrible identity like the comets, a bad idea if you have a decent identity like the Blue Jays). If the anthromorphic guy was incoporated, great, but I wouldn't want it to be a requirement.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

FWIW, comets consist of ice and dust. There's not enough friction in space to generate heat.

I think at some point you have to trash everything and start all over (a good idea if you have a terrible identity like the comets, a bad idea if you have a decent identity like the Blue Jays). If the anthromorphic guy was incoporated, great, but I wouldn't want it to be a requirement.

I know what Comets are made of, but the name isn't supposed to conjure thoughts of "floating ball of ice in space" - it's supposed to make people think of speed, etc.

The majority of the concepts brought forward so far incorporate a "swoosh" somehow to make a C. This is flawed, IMHO. It creates dead space between the tail and the tip.

I think Nitro came up with a valid and very good solution to the problem. His concept is solid, could be embroidered, would be great silkscreened, etc.

This one is shaping up nicely. Sterling, my concept should be there. I know I see it. I will take up the anamorphic lil guy challenge and try to utilize my retro space theme. I just don't know when I will get to it. Fantastic wordmark Nitro as usual. This one is definitely the trickiest of the teams to do something truly unique in my opinion. Again I commend the boards members for their insightful feedback.

since we're on the face topic i might as well post this, anybody can feel free to do what they want with it if there's a desire. It was just a quick sketch, i personally dont have the time to make anything of it. I talked to Sterling about it last night, and he may or may not be working with it, im not sure. It's an idea anyway, more of a abstract look at adding a face

comets.jpg

The majority of the concepts brought forward so far incorporate a "swoosh" somehow to make a C. This is flawed, IMHO. It creates dead space between the tail and the tip.

I'm looking and my admittedly quick glace only saw one design that used a comet as a C. That was hrivnaks, which I thoguht was a nice concpt. The rest of us have eiter wrapped the comet AROUND the c, and/or used the comet itself as the O

I will tell you honestly guys, I don't think we've got it yet. While I like Nitro's the best, I think that we are the farthest away from a final concept as we have been for the NEHL by the end of page two.

Nitro, I lvoe what you have done with my original idea - namely, taken it and come up with a concept that is wholely new, fresh, and great. I don't even need to be credited anymore.

But - (and there is always a but) I'd like to see some black in this. I think of all the teams, the comets could use black as a more primary color than anyone else. The red and yellow kinda blend in together and don't provide the ever elusive 'pop' we all seek.

Also, while your overall shape speaks in loud volumes the idea of mothin, I fear that the hirzontal tilt, the italics, AND the flames are too much of a good thing. Can we see it turned about 20degrees clockwise, back with an almost level wordmark? (Retaining some uplift is a good thing)

I think we can find a good one, but guys... this contest is still more wide open than Pamela Lee on a boat. -Get your ideas in here.

Where is iDonovan, anyway?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived