Comets - Nehl Redesign Project

creativelysain

GMS has a nice rough sketch!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nitro, I am really loving your idea more and more.

I do worry as has been said, that without black it may have a Bucco Bruce vibe and be missing something.

Maybe its as simple as a dropshadow on the mark and the side of the puck being black?

Dont mean to short you or drag you down the lazy mans path of using black. its truly something to make awesomeness out of three colors, all in the same "family". But black may be acceptable, even necessary here.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I agree with Sterling completely on this one. Nitros is really growing on me mainly beacuse I like the "direction" that the whole idea is going. The logo flows really well together with the wordmark and it just feels like one total piece. I also think that black would make it jump out and soldify it as a whole.

Again, great work man!

Here's how I feel about black in 95% of all cases:

It's overused, it's a cop out, and in this case, it's far too heavy of a color to be used when you're going for the effect of speed and energy. That doesn't just apply to this Comets design. I've made a conscious effort to eradicate ANY black from my designs at all unless its absolutely necessary.

That's not attacking your critique of my design; that's me stating my opinion on black in general. So, please, don't take it personally. I know this sounds a bit aggressive, but it's something I feel strongly about. I just have a serious aversion to using black in my logos. I've even looked back to my old designs and tried to figure out ways to REMOVE the black from them because it's unnecessary in a lot of cases. In this case, I don't feel black could accomplish anything that crimson can't.

I'm not saying that's the law of the land; that's my opinion as a designer in regards to my work and my perception of the work of others. Nobody has to agree with me on it at all, but I felt I should explain why I did not, and more than likely, will not attempt to add black to this design.

While I appreciate your adverstion to black, and totally understand the reasons, I think you are looking past a very real opportunity where black is actually needed.

Comets exist in space, which to the human eye is black. This whole logo should be on a black background. The home jerseys themselves should be black. This is the ONE concept we have had on this board that NEEDS black.

The orange/yellow and red combo doesn't work to my eye. Looks too much like mcdonalds - cheap and greasy. The colors are WAY to similar to ever touch in an application where legibility and shape recognition are an issue. Two similar tone colors CAN be used, but they must be separate when applied to shape. Tahe the Whalers - blue and green. Very similar to yellow and red. In the Whalers LOGO, they dont touch. On the jersey, fine. But not when one needs to read.

Anyway, since we wont get a black-injected logo from Nitro, it is a challenege for the rest of us to attempt to use it in our concepts. I love Nitro's work - this concept included. I just think that avoiding black for black's sake is better applied ot other concepts.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

It's overused, it's a cop out, and in this case, it's far too heavy of a color to be used when you're going for the effect of speed and energy. That doesn't just apply to this Comets design. I've made a conscious effort to eradicate ANY black from my designs at all unless its absolutely necessary.

Well, hey. If it's the principle. I can't argue with a principled man. At the very least it's a good exercise for ya Nitro (not using black). Like learning to duel with your left hand or something. Makes the rest of the skills stronger probably, and then when necessary......."oh whats that in my holster??! Its black! BAM! .........used responsibly..............."phoo" (that was my blowing on the barrel noise).

I don't necessarily agree, and would hate to have you miss an opportunity because of it, but that's the great part about respect. People think you have to respect the man, or the decision itself. Not true. You have to respect that it's not your call to make. Respect overrides opinion and thats why respectful people are peaceful. Even sans black it is still my favorite thus far anyway.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

RE: Black

Not to go off on a rant here, but...

I don't think black would add anything to this LOGO. Sure, it might look good on a black jersey (sweater, depending on your region. ;) ) - but it won't necessarily improve the logo.

I like the colors that Nitro has used. I have made some suggestions to him regarding the wordmark that he noted. Those aside, this is the strongest logo of the bunch in this thread. It's solid, could be easily made into a crest, embroidered, made into vinyl stickers, silkscreened, etc.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

(Apologies to Dennis Miller!)

I like the first one better, rozilla.

The background ellipse is something I don't like on this concept. I also don't like how the curve ends into nowhere... if it was just a straight streak, I don't think it would bother me as much, but the curve seems to be leading the eye somewhere, and then it just ends.

Good work people... GMS I like your sketch, although in the coloured version I'd make the face slightly more obvious.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

*sigh*

Okay, let me preface this by saying that I am a big enough man to admit when I'm wrong. And, in this case....... I was wrong. Out of curiosity, I decided to do a black version. Really, my point in this was to prove to myself that black really wasn't beneficial.

And, of course, I end up liking the black.

I even tried it on a template of the Flames' jerseys, and the black just seemed to fit better. Plus, the Flames actual color scheme was easier to work into the black version. Yes, I admit... everything was flowing much better with the addition of black.

So, with that, I humbly present the latest version of my Comets concept, avec le noir.

comets-black.gif

What do you guys think?

*sigh*

Okay, let me preface this by saying that I am a big enough man to admit when I'm wrong. And, in this case....... I was wrong.

Nitro... that just made my day...lol... awesome work as always... the black really makes it pop... looks awesome on the jersey too....

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Archived