What are the most unique nicknames in all sports

cgcrusader13

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me...or is anyone else having deja vu while reading through this thread?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Is it just me...or is anyone else having deja vu while reading through this thread?

Does it count ad deja vu when you actually know that you've read this thread before?

Only when you're certain you know you've actually read this thread two or three times before...in the past two or three months.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Is Lincoln High's Railsplitters unique? How about the Pittsburgh State Gorillas?

It's Pittsburg State. That little h makes a big difference!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Ravens made the AFC championship game and have Joe Flacco at the reigns. The Terps football is on the rise beating Nevada in the Humanitarian bowl and would have made the ACC Championship if they would have beaten Florida State. Maryland basketball made the NCAA tournament and beat Cal. The only team I have had to die with lately have been the 12 soon to be 13 straight losing seasons Orioles.

So the Terrapins have a football team that's capable of beating a mediocre school in a third-tier bowl game and would have made its own conference final if only it hadn't, you know, lost too many games, and you're like all proud about how great the team is? Um, yay?

But back to Terrapins. "Terrapin" is just a fancy way to say "turtle," and back when Maryland took the name, "terrapin" was a commonly used team name in several sports at all levels in several regions of the country. Plus, turtles are reptiles, and so "terrapins" is no more "unique" than, say, "ravens." True, there's no other major team named after a kind of crow. But bird nicknames are a dime a dozen, as are reptile team names.

But the U of Maryland is also the best counter-culture school in America, so therefore anything it does is, "Wicked awesome man!"

What about my personal favorite, the Arkansas Razorbacks.

Finally somebody gets what I'm saying. Thank You!

The Hutto Hippos, a high school in Texas:

cfiles8629.jpg

I bet the girls teams love to have Hippo's on the front of the jerseys, especially the ones with self image issues. Or better yet nothing is better than seeing a cheerleader with "Hippos" on the front of there uniform.

Oh and regards to this thread there is a website dedicated to all the odd and unique team names. Every year or so it pops up in a thread on here. This topic is starting to become the new realignment thread.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

The Ravens made the AFC championship game and have Joe Flacco at the reigns. The Terps football is on the rise beating Nevada in the Humanitarian bowl and would have made the ACC Championship if they would have beaten Florida State. Maryland basketball made the NCAA tournament and beat Cal. The only team I have had to die with lately have been the 12 soon to be 13 straight losing seasons Orioles.

So the Terrapins have a football team that's capable of beating a mediocre school in a third-tier bowl game and would have made its own conference final if only it hadn't, you know, lost too many games, and you're like all proud about how great the team is? Um, yay?

But back to Terrapins. "Terrapin" is just a fancy way to say "turtle," and back when Maryland took the name, "terrapin" was a commonly used team name in several sports at all levels in several regions of the country. Plus, turtles are reptiles, and so "terrapins" is no more "unique" than, say, "ravens." True, there's no other major team named after a kind of crow. But bird nicknames are a dime a dozen, as are reptile team names.

But the U of Maryland is also the best counter-culture school in America, so therefore anything it does is, "Wicked awesome man!"

What about my personal favorite, the Arkansas Razorbacks.

Finally somebody gets what I'm saying. Thank You!

So if we backhandedly praise the state, you will still interpret it as praise?

--------------------------------

This is defunct, but is certainly unique because I doubt anyone else could be quite this racist.

Up until 1983, those racist :censored: s in Pekin, Illinois had their high school teams use the nickname "Chinks." Because Pekin sounds like "Peking", which was a Western corruption/misspelling of "Beijing."

(Following 1983, they used the more commonplace "Dragons" as a nickname.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived