What are the most unique nicknames in all sports

cgcrusader13

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wake Forest Demon Deacons

Columbus Blue Jackets (we've seen American Revolution-themed nicknames and WW1-themed nicknames, but Blue Jackets has to be the only Civil War-themed nickname)

Tulsa Golden Hurricane

and of course, Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters. (Yes, I know, it's "Fighters", not "Ham Fighters", let's quash that joke right away)

sportsbanner-single.jpg

Pine Ridge, SD - Thorpes (as in Jim Thorpe, its a reservation school)

Kimball, SD - Kiotes (coyotes)

Mitchell, SD - Kernals (as in corn)

Miller, SD - Rustlers (basically a spin off from cowboys)

Yankton, SD - Bucks.... Not too wierd until you learn that the girls teams are Gazelles

Rapid City Central HS - Cobblers (as in street pavers)

University of Nebraska-Kearney - Lopers (as in Pronghorn Antelope)

University of Nebraska-Linclon - Cornhuskers

South Dakota State University - Jackrabbits

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Columbus Blue Jackets (we've seen American Revolution-themed nicknames and WW1-themed nicknames, but Blue Jackets has to be the only Civil War-themed nickname)

You're (possibly) wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNLV_Rebels

I'm surprised you didn't think of Ole Miss.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Baltomore MD, Dunbar HS - Poets ( probably after Edgar Allan Poe)

Or Paul Laurence Dunbar.... :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You're (possibly) wrong.

Jerry Tarkanian in my head long before I think of anything having to do with Mississippi. ;)

But, you're right, yours will do far better.

You're (possibly) wrong.

You might add UNC to that list as well, depending on which origin of the term "Tar Heel" you choose to believe.

And isn't "Missouri Tigers" a Civil War reference as well?

Some teams in Arkansas (just because they come to mind) that I'm not familiar with anybody else having the same name.

Arkansas Tech Wonderboys (DII school. Girls teams formerly known as Wonderettes, now Golden Suns)

Henderson State Reddies (DII school)

Arkansas Travelers (AA team. Named after some song called the Arkansas Traveler. Lived here my whole life and never heard it)

Northwest Arkansas Naturals (AA team. Named in part after the movie and also for the state's nickname, the Natural State)

Southern Arkansas Muleriders (DII school)

Conway Wampus Cats (High school. Basically a panther with six legs)

nebraska cornhuskers cuz nobodys ever used corn as a mascot before GO BIG RED!!!!11!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kernels%20Baseball%20Logo.JPG

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Cant top the Evergreen State GEODUCKS

Its a clam thats extremely similar to the male genitalia

Did you know that ESC's motto is "Omnia Extares,"which in English is "Let it all Hang Out?"

That makes it even funnier.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

nebraska cornhuskers cuz nobodys ever used corn as a mascot before GO BIG RED!!!!11!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ya well i dont care cuz we won 5 champioinships so there, just proud too be from nebraska i live & die with the huskers!!

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

ya well i dont care cuz we won 5 champioinships so there, just proud too be from nebraska i live & die with the huskers!!

Well, then. I guess you dun told me!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived