What are the most unique nicknames in all sports

cgcrusader13

Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs (AAA Baseball)

Lehigh Mountain Hawks

Richmond Spiders

William and Mary Tribe

Northampton High School Konkrete Kids (SSome want this to change, since they use 3 ks due to an intentional misspelling of Concrete)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Along with the Pretzels, Illinois has/had a few interesting high school names:

Hoopeston Area Cornjerkers (Hoopeston, IL)
Cobden Appleknockers (Cobden, IL)

Pekin Chinks (Pekin, IL) *Changed to Dragons*

Fisher Bunnies (Fisher, IL)

Carbondale Community Terriers (Carbondale, IL)

Effingham Flaming Hearts (Effingham, IL)

Vancouver Canucks

Vancouver Voodoo - defunct Roller Hockey International team

Toronto Maple Leafs

Vancouver Whitecaps

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

NY Liberty

LA Sparks

Iowa Chops - Anaheim Ducks former farm team

Syracuse Crunch

Memphis Mad Dogs - CFL American team

Quebec Nordiqes - from one unique name to another

Rimouski Oceanic

Quebec Remparts

Halifax Moosehead

Saint John Sea Dogs

Baltimore CFLers

Western Florida is also named the Argonauts, so Toronto isn't exactly the only team that uses this nickname.

It's just " West" Florida, 'dude. Minor nitpick.

And I think it's safe to assume most college nicknames tend to be unique simply due to the origins of some of them--either based on something from the state the school is in (case in point: Tennessee Volunteers...Tennessee is the "Volunteer State"), some animal or thing synonymous with a state (Florida Gators), some made-up word passed down through generations of folklore (does anyone really know what a "Hoosier" actually is??), or something related to the school itself. (The Vanderbilt Commodores take their nickname from "Commodore" Cornelius Vanderbilt, for whom the school is named. Dude had the nickname "Commodore" bestowed upon him due to his prowess in the shipping business, from which he made his fortune. The word "commodore" itself comes from the French "commandeur" which was one of the highest ranks in French knighthood and later became an officer rank in several Navies around the world-including the U.S. for a short while-slotted above a captain but below a rear admiral, as a way of denoting promotable captains who commanded multiple ships.)

All that said..."Banana Slugs" has got to be my all-time favorite.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I had to mention one that isn't unique or interesting in and of itself but combine it with the name of the town and you got something special. The town of Ayr, ND used the nickname The Rifles........Yup they were the Ayr Rifles.

The school is now closed but I always loved that nickname. Any other unique/interesting combinations of location and nickname?

Georgetown Hoyas

Lansing Lugnuts

Shreveport Crawdads -CBA (defunct)

New Orleans Voodoo -Arena football

Winnipeg Blue Bombers- CFL

Montreal Alouettes-CFL

Raleigh Icecaps-ECHL

And from my hometown of Port Huron, Mi:

Port Huron Flags (defunct- IHL 65-77)

Port Huron Border Cats (defunct-UHL)

Thunder Bay (a city that had a team in the UHL, so you'd think they would have tried to come up with something different) copied the Border Cats name for their Northwoods League baseball team.

If I had to pick the most unique team name in the Northwoods league it would probably be the Mankato MoonDogs though the defunct Brainerd Lunkers name was also a bit odd. My favourite of current team names in the league is the Rochester Honkers but I think they are at least a few other teams with the Honkers name out there.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Here are some more unique nicknames from Australia. These are Rugby League teams that compete in the various regional competitions administered by the Country Rugby League in my home state of New South Wales.

Young Cherrypickers

Parkes Spacemen

Moree Boomerangs

Northern United Dirrawongs

Orara Valley Axemen

Scone Thoroughbreds

Junee Diesels

West Wyalong Mallee Men

Menindee Yabbies

Jamberoo Superoos

Archived