The Draw Brawl Competition

chestnutz

I think it's a great idea to have people choose what level they want to compete with. If somebody's not very good, and try to compete in the top tier, then that would be their fault for doing so. It's best to let the competitors themselves choose because nobody knows what your capable of except yourself.

Or, have a top tier designer take on the less skilled designers for an easy win. Brilliant. ***

***=Just kidding. I won't be participating. I'm just pointing out that allowing contestants to pick which contest to join has its negatives as well. Previous postings or portfolio should determine seeding IMO.

What if we had like a veto system? Where who ever is running this thing can move some one up if they think they are playing wayyyyy too far down.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's a great idea to have people choose what level they want to compete with. If somebody's not very good, and try to compete in the top tier, then that would be their fault for doing so. It's best to let the competitors themselves choose because nobody knows what your capable of except yourself.

Or, have a top tier designer take on the less skilled designers for an easy win. Brilliant. ***

***=Just kidding. I won't be participating. I'm just pointing out that allowing contestants to pick which contest to join has its negatives as well. Previous postings or portfolio should determine seeding IMO.

What if we had like a veto system? Where who ever is running this thing can move some one up if they think they are playing wayyyyy too far down.

I don't think it matters. If you choose to play lower down in order to get an easier win, well that's fine. However, I can imagine the lower tiers would carry less prestige than the higher ones, and by the very nature of competition onlookers would realise that more skilled and experienced designers should be competing in the high levels. I don't know why anyone who would consider themselves a more skilled designer would want to damage their reputation by attempting something like this.

Also, voters should be able to tell if someone is deliberately competing at the wrong level, and I'd expect them to vote for someone else because of it. This would be hilarious simply for the tantrums when someone "better than their level" didn't get the votes.

I don't think it matters. If you choose to play lower down in order to get an easier win, well that's fine. However, I can imagine the lower tiers would carry less prestige than the higher ones, and by the very nature of competition onlookers would realise that more skilled and experienced designers should be competing in the high levels. I don't know why anyone who would consider themselves a more skilled designer would want to damage their reputation by attempting something like this.

Also, voters should be able to tell if someone is deliberately competing at the wrong level, and I'd expect them to vote for someone else because of it. This would be hilarious simply for the tantrums when someone "better than their level" didn't get the votes.

Are you kidding? We've had people sign up multiple accounts to vote for themselves just to win. Some people are super competitive and there are always people that will take the path of least resistance rather than challenge themselves. As for voters doing the right thing, maybe a less skilled designer has a stroke of genius. If he is perceived to have gamed the system, he would be unfairly passed over under your plan. You're better off with policing the contest rather than leaving it in the hands of voters to be cognizant of underhanded behavior.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Are you kidding? We've had people sign up multiple accounts to vote for themselves just to win. Some people are super competitive and there are always people that will take the path of least resistance rather than challenge themselves. As for voters doing the right thing, maybe a less skilled designer has a stroke of genius. If he is perceived to have gamed the system, he would be unfairly passed over under your plan. You're better off with policing the contest rather than leaving it in the hands of voters to be cognizant of underhanded behavior.

Exactly, especially considering this is the internet and people tend to be a lot more "adventurous" (read: stupid), especially when it comes to these things.

This is a great idea but I feel everyone is trying to pick something out to make it not work. I think a group of judges should be selected first. After that form this like how the IIHF is where they have three different divisions with two groups where the is a qualifying round to put you in a division. I know we not have enough participants to have 3 divisions but something along those lines could work.

I AM SCORE!

Okay, finally got internet, so here's MY say on the whole thing.

I thought about doing a tier system, but wasn't sure how I'd do it. I'm likin the idea more and more, especially because now I know a way to do it. I've listened to all of your opinions and I think I'm going to do what (I think) is the best method. Thank you ALL for your ideas and everything.

I think what I'll do is let people choose their tier. I agree with william in that the very nature of the better designers here won't draw them to compete in the lower tier. If a lower tier guy wants to try their hand with the big boy that's great, good for them, if a more skilled designer wants to compete in the lower tier good for them, it's less prestigious but it's just a fun competition, who cares?

OpaqueChicken, while I think breaking it down into all that division mess COULD be beneficiary, I just don't think it'd work out in the long run. I've seen how contests have gone for the past few months, and I think with something that complex it'd just make things so crazy. I just want this to be fun, not DETERMINE WHO THE BESTEST DESIGNER IS!!!!!111

So, when everyone sends their submission by e-mail to me, I'll have them include in the e-mail what tier they'd like to be in. If there's a huge outrage over what members are in what tier we can hold a veto vote or something like that.

I will come up with a SIMPLE presentation template every submission must use, so as to add to making it anonymous. Won't be fancy or anything, but it will be easy (I hope) for paint and vector users alike to use. That'll be up shortly (hopefully by tomorrow).

I'm happy to announce williamrhys will be helping me run the competition, and someone else (haven't decided who yet, PM me if interested). I'm extremely confident he can help me whenever I need it and has some good ideas for some challenges.

And with that, I bid adieu.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Quick update:

-First challenge should be up by the end of the week. Still need to finalize some things.

-Contestants can use any uniform template they choose. People are used to using their own template and that's fine. Just have to use the presentation template (which will be available before the first challenge).

-I'm happy to inform y'all that davidson and ColaRooster will be joining the panel of commissioners for the ompetition. So now it stands at 4, which ain't a bad number but 5 wold be better.

-Question: would it be good to maybe have two sides voting, a panel of judges (me, william, Cola, and davidson, ?) and the public, and those two votes would be combined? Or would it be best to just let the public decide, or just judges decide? Up to you guys, so thoughts?

-Again, if you guys have any ideas for future challenges, feel free to post them here or PM me.

Thanks for the interest!

-Erik

spacer.png

Okay, finally got internet, so here's MY say on the whole thing.

I thought about doing a tier system, but wasn't sure how I'd do it. I'm likin the idea more and more, especially because now I know a way to do it. I've listened to all of your opinions and I think I'm going to do what (I think) is the best method. Thank you ALL for your ideas and everything.

I think what I'll do is let people choose their tier. I agree with william in that the very nature of the better designers here won't draw them to compete in the lower tier. If a lower tier guy wants to try their hand with the big boy that's great, good for them, if a more skilled designer wants to compete in the lower tier good for them, it's less prestigious but it's just a fun competition, who cares?

OpaqueChicken, while I think breaking it down into all that division mess COULD be beneficiary, I just don't think it'd work out in the long run. I've seen how contests have gone for the past few months, and I think with something that complex it'd just make things so crazy. I just want this to be fun, not DETERMINE WHO THE BESTEST DESIGNER IS!!!!!111

So, when everyone sends their submission by e-mail to me, I'll have them include in the e-mail what tier they'd like to be in. If there's a huge outrage over what members are in what tier we can hold a veto vote or something like that.

I will come up with a SIMPLE presentation template every submission must use, so as to add to making it anonymous. Won't be fancy or anything, but it will be easy (I hope) for paint and vector users alike to use. That'll be up shortly (hopefully by tomorrow).

I'm happy to announce williamrhys will be helping me run the competition, and someone else (haven't decided who yet, PM me if interested). I'm extremely confident he can help me whenever I need it and has some good ideas for some challenges.

And with that, I bid adieu.

It was just an idea to not have the more skilled designers go into the lower division to easily win. I'm just waiting for what the challenge is.

I AM SCORE!

I think it's more fair to have the 4 or 5 judges vote and decide. (5 might be the best, you know, odd number so no ties) Here's why I think that system is superior:

-otherwise it's partly just a popularity contest

-the judges are all pretty experienced members/designers and definitely know what makes a good concept

-it's kinda the opposite of the point above, but, no offense to any newbies, but I'd rather have davidson, chesnutz, cola, or william decide who moves on rather than some guy with 100 posts who may or may not have any idea what he is talking about

-it worked pretty well in the apprentice comp; I always like how the judges gave really detailed descriptions of what they liked/didn't like, the only problem with the apprentice was that people lost interest.

Obviously it's for fun but the judging system should be the best/most fair available.

finalized rules, contest logo, and presentation template should be up by the end of the day.

round one will be posted immediately after that.

elliot, we may do that. william came up with a pretty solid idea on how to do things but i'm not sure how well it'd turn out. i think just having the judges vote on who wins would work best.

or we could do the judges vote for their favorites, public votes for theirs, and the top vote getters when the two results are combined win.

spacer.png

finalized rules, contest logo, and presentation template should be up by the end of the day.

round one will be posted immediately after that.

elliot, we may do that. william came up with a pretty solid idea on how to do things but i'm not sure how well it'd turn out. i think just having the judges vote on who wins would work best.

or we could do the judges vote for their favorites, public votes for theirs, and the top vote getters when the two results are combined win.

Here's something I just thought that might work for voting. You can pick four experienced members, each getting one vote and giving a detailed explanation like in the aprentice contest. Then you can have a public vote, and whoever wins that will get the final vote. That way you will have the respected members who are judges having most of the decision, but everyone else will still get to vote.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Ya know that's actually a really good idea. I think I may want to roll with that. There are a few different ways we could go about voting, and I think I'll be posting a few options for you guys to help decide on which one would work best.

spacer.png

why not just do both?

an allocated points system is a lot of messing about. plus we would probably need to vote on who should be awarded what points in the voting system.

everybody loves prizes so i suggest gold, silver and bronze overall placing, plus a judges choice award.

explanation to the judges prize can then be given after all results are in so as to not effect the results.

so fraser, what you're suggesting is have the judges vote on someone, but that will ONLY count for the "judges choice" which is just a cool little prize to have.

the public would vote who actually wins the challenge and who gets the overall points for the whole shabang.

is this correct?

spacer.png

why not just do both?

an allocated points system is a lot of messing about. plus we would probably need to vote on who should be awarded what points in the voting system.

everybody loves prizes so i suggest gold, silver and bronze overall placing, plus a judges choice award.

explanation to the judges prize can then be given after all results are in so as to not effect the results.

But what about the tiers man, THE TIERS????!!!1111

Too dramatic? :D

why not just do both?

But what about the tiers man, THE TIERS????!!!1111

Too dramatic? :D

sure, sorry yes i forgot about the tiers.

we just do two sets of the above. one set for each tier.

game on.

so fraser, what you're suggesting is have the judges vote on someone, but that will ONLY count for the "judges choice" which is just a cool little prize to have.

the public would vote who actually wins the challenge and who gets the overall points for the whole shabang.

is this correct?

bingo.

(speaking of which, i just noticed this has come out:

i appologise for the incredibly irritating advert and accent, but those are my hands on the tele!)

a sexy pic during filming. it was about 100 degrees in that f***ing velour suit.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7350...mp;id=720640639

Archived