Arena Football League 2010

DustDevil61

Or, we could see a little of what we saw with either the AHL or IHL and the ECHL and the AF2 may assimilate some of the stronger or more popular--screw it, most stable--franchises into its fold, possibly at the expense of some of the teams at the bottom of the AF2's pecking order. And then the AF2 will rename itself the AFL.

Truth be told, I think a game like that really has its place a s niche sport and should remain as such...and be run as such. Cheap(ish) entertainment, quality football on a half-size field, with a premium on high scores, "ironmen", and bone-jarring hits into the walls and such (you know, the things that really brought people to love the arena game in the first place) to be played mostly during the NFL's off-season in smaller cities near major media markets. And, of course, go wild and crazy wtih the uniform designs...it works for minor-league baseball, doesn't it? :P

(Disclaimer: this is all just my admittedly uneducated personal 2-cent opinion.)

How bout all the other indoor football leagues assimilate into one massive league with regional divisions and battle it out for the AFL Championship March Madness Style?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouln't be suprised to see the NFL pick up on it and use some or all of it for something

That would be a good idea I think, the AFL was good for the NFL

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The AFL is of no use to the NFL as a developmental league, if that's what you're postulating. Arena football is such a perversion of actual football that its developmental value is almost nil.

I never got arena football, by the way. Modern sports that are invented by taking existing sports and making things too big and too small don't really captivate me. Also, it was pretty transparent and pathetic when ESPN started pretending this sport mattered because they invested in it or something.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Or, we could see a little of what we saw with either the AHL or IHL and the ECHL and the AF2 may assimilate some of the stronger or more popular--screw it, most stable--franchises into its fold, possibly at the expense of some of the teams at the bottom of the AF2's pecking order. And then the AF2 will rename itself the AFL.

This is what I'm guessing will happen.

The AFL should focus on markets in the #15 to #75 range, which should give it just the right mix of small major league cities and big minor league cities that it had in its heyday. They made a huge mistake in abandoning its loyal smaller markets like Albany and Iowa for bigger cities that had zero reason to care about them. At least the Firebirds and Barnstormers are back in AF2. Milwaukee also got a team this season (NOT named the Mustangs though :cursing: ). Just plug in Arizona, Tampa and Orlando and party like it's 1999.

I've heard somewhere a while back the remaining teams would go out and try to start a new league. Hopefully this'll still happen

I don't know if a new league is the answer right now.

My plan would be to have any remaining AFL team join AF2, rename AF2 the AFL, compete there for a few years. Then if opportunity allows break up into a top tier and bottom tier (similar to the United Soccer Leagues), but ensure the way teams operate is the same. It might work, but it's just a theory.

I've heard somewhere a while back the remaining teams would go out and try to start a new league. Hopefully this'll still happen

I don't know if a new league is the answer right now.

My plan would be to have any remaining AFL team join AF2, rename AF2 the AFL, compete there for a few years. Then if opportunity allows break up into a top tier and bottom tier (similar to the United Soccer Leagues), but ensure the way teams operate is the same. It might work, but it's just a theory.

I'd like to see this happen as well. Maybe go back to having games on vs?

Don't rule out teams from some other leagues getting together as well with the AFL "abandoned" cities that continue to want to play. Grand Rapids seems to be heading that way, per this article. Having watching the CIFL's Chicago Slaughter play this year with pretty much an entire ex-Chicago Rush roster, it was pretty obvious that the competition level remaining in the CIFL is much lower. However, if you pulled in some top teams from IFL, AF2, etc., there could be the makings of a nice new league.

But I would agree that the easier route would be to latch on to an existing league at this point. Just too much capital and investment needed to go brand new at this point.

BUT WAIT...

Jim Foster, the guy who invented the sport, and Jerry Kurz, president of af2, say that rumors of the AFL's demise have been greatly exaggerated, that there has not been any vote on folding or terminating or bankruptcy, but merely that the 2010 season will be delayed until late 2010 or even 2011.

Yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up either.

Then again, this may just be trying to rally the teams that didn't want to suspend or see the league go belly up -- San Jose, Grand Rapids, Tampa, etc. -- together to forge forward without the likes of Elway, Ditka, or Bon Jovi.

Analyze at your wont.

philly.png

Seems as if the soul has already put up their goodbye message.

http://www.philadelphiasoul.com/

:(

If I see a soul jersey super cheap (10 bucks or less), i may buy it

even tho, the only ones i have ever seen say bon jovi on the back.

At least the Soul went out on top, and now no one can dethrone them as league champions.

Meanwhile news of Arena Football's impending demise has finally hit ESPN.

As for me, I'm ROTFLMAO that the National Lacrosse League, which was also formed (under a different name) in 1987, the same year as Arena Football, is on the verge of outlasting its higher-profile cousin. This, despite having failed franchises in most of the largest markets, including two teams that left NYC/New Jersey.

CCSLC signature.png

The bigger Arena League may be dying a slow death, but through the AF2, arena football will live on, I believe.

This would be my advice to the AF2: I really believe (and think they will) somehow assimilate the more stable AFL franchises will somehow AF2, re-christen yourself as the new AFL. Stay in the smaller intermediate markets (something like #15 to #75, which is what I believe illwauk said), and try not to outgrow yourself and become bigger than what you are: a nich sport.

And for the love of God, Allah, Jehovah, Buddha, and all that is holy in this world...do NOT let ESPN anywhere NEAR your operations.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Now with the Arena Football League all but dead, this means (unless the league is resurrected in some form or another league, such as af2, brings them in) I will never get to see the New York Dragons in what would've been their "new" green-and-black color scheme, along with their "new" logo.

YOZXkBG.png?1

I hated the AFL but like Hockey its grew on me. AFL was on its way when they had TV deal with NBC but NBC practically ruined it. I was planning to go to coupled of Avengers games this season.

BOTTOM LINE

The AFL was enjoying the same success as the NHL was during the 90s but suffered the same fates as the ABA, IHL, MISL and the XFL.

Archived