Arena Football League 2010

DustDevil61

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Week 1 is this weekend, hoping big things for the Rattlers this season with both Kevin Guy and Danny White at the helm, I predict big things

Also can we get this changed to Arena Football 2010 thread?

Rattlers giving away all tickets to home opener

Anyone in the Phoenix area, they're all free

That's not a good sign.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Rattlers giving away all tickets to home opener

Anyone in the Phoenix area, they're all free

That's not a good sign.

how so? Sponsors paid for it and it's a good pr move. This was a way of publicity to get the city of Phoenix to notice, and since it was on AZCentral.com, and possibly on the news tonight, I say this stunt has served it's purpose. It'll give the people free entertainment while some can get into the sport.

And leave almost all of them to ask "Why should I pay for this?" in coming weeks.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

And leave almost all of them to ask "Why should I pay for this?" in coming weeks.

Strangely enough, that's exactly what happened to the Raleigh Rebels of the AIFL. For the team's first-ever game, the club gave out something like 4,000 free ducats (for an arena that seated about 5,600). People were leaving for the parking lot at halftime.

My guess though is that, in the Rattlers' case, the result will be far better. The AFL brand of football may have diminished thanks to the shenanigans of the past two years, but their brand of overall entertainment still appears to be very good - and provided they cultivate relationships with their core fan base and avoid the David Bakeresque "pie in the sky" mentality of the past, they might just do okay.

That being said though, I read something rather interesting in a NY Times article yesterday. Apparently the new version of the AFL is not planning to have any clubs in California - ever - unless and until a boatload of lawsuits involving former NFL players suffering from dementia ostensibly caused by their work are resolved. Under California law, any NFL player who participated in a single game in the state is eligible to sue the NFL and its clubs - all of them - and around 700 have filed. Consequently the AFL, which couldn't afford that kind of headache at this point, refused admitting the San Jose Sabrecats and at least for the time being will be keeping its stakes out of the Golden State.

nav-logo.png

Which makes the UFL shoehorning a team into Sacramento all the more puzzling.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Not really when you consider this is an organization that thought there was an opening for more football in the fall.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Not really when you consider this is an organization that thought there was an opening for more football in the fall. likely won't be in business five years from now, let alone in 25 when its players would start filing suits.

There. Fixed that for you.

nav-logo.png

• 2 months later...

Strangely enough, that's exactly what happened to the Raleigh Rebels of the AIFL. For the team's first-ever game, the club gave out something like 4,000 free ducats (for an arena that seated about 5,600). People were leaving for the parking lot at halftime.

My guess though is that, in the Rattlers' case, the result will be far better. The AFL brand of football may have diminished thanks to the shenanigans of the past two years, but their brand of overall entertainment still appears to be very good - and provided they cultivate relationships with their core fan base and avoid the David Bakeresque "pie in the sky" mentality of the past, they might just do okay.

That being said though, I read something rather interesting in a NY Times article yesterday. Apparently the new version of the AFL is not planning to have any clubs in California - ever - unless and until a boatload of lawsuits involving former NFL players suffering from dementia ostensibly caused by their work are resolved. Under California law, any NFL player who participated in a single game in the state is eligible to sue the NFL and its clubs - all of them - and around 700 have filed. Consequently the AFL, which couldn't afford that kind of headache at this point, refused admitting the San Jose Sabrecats and at least for the time being will be keeping its stakes out of the Golden State.

Interesting... I guess they decided that it was worth the risk to bring back San Jose.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived