The wildest football uniforms you never saw

Spearhead

From the Ill Fated CFLUSA the Memphis Mad Dogs

wpe77890.gif

ACK!!!!

Just when I thought I'd expunged these monstrocities from my mind, here it is again!!!

Geez. I remember this jersey. When I saw it for the first time, I remember being terrified that this kind of design might catch on.

The "Mad Dogs" name was cool, because it knocked at the NFL's "Hound Dogs" proposal. The logo was a disappointment, but nothing could have prepared that public for this nightmarish horror show. Definitely a Top-5 candidate for all-time worst jerseys.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From the Ill Fated CFLUSA the Memphis Mad Dogs

wpe77890.gif

ACK!!!!

Just when I thought I'd expunged these monstrocities from my mind, here it is again!!!

Geez. I remember this jersey. When I saw it for the first time, I remember being terrified that this kind of design might catch on.

The "Mad Dogs" name was cool, because it knocked at the NFL's "Hound Dogs" proposal. The logo was a disappointment, but nothing could have prepared that public for this nightmarish horror show. Definitely a Top-5 candidate for all-time worst jerseys.

I must say, though, that I like the M logo with the dog collar.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Lemme guess, if Nike came up with these they would be a crime against football uniforms. Since these are from the '60's, they are sweet.

Umm no, my first thought was "wow I guess really bad uniform design isn't as recent a phenomena as I thought it was."

BB52Big.jpg

Please tell me this is really ugly? stripes mixing with the letter "M?"

ugly-unis-minnesota.jpg

Uh oh, better get rid of that before Bucco sees it! He made a Mini-sooota concept a while back that looks just like those (only with the M higher up).

Whats also really interesting here is the color of the gold. I always thought Minnesota had that Strong Yellow color as a staple like Michigan. Here they look like Boston College or the ESU Timberwolves.

The football team went metallic gold under Jim Wacker. (Although they may have done that at some earlier point too.) IIRC the previous iteration jerseys looked pretty good, but that M____M thing ruined it all.

Just a reminder that the "M&M" jerseys come from that special, fleeting time in the mid-90s that also brought us the Cowboys' double-star uniforms, and the Iowa Hawkeyes' "Banana Peels":

93098172_0bc1b310ce.jpg

Oh, Apex One, you cheeky uniform bastards. How I miss ya.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 4 years later...

Lemme guess, if Nike came up with these they would be a crime against football uniforms. Since these are from the '60's, they are sweet.

Winner!!

No, not really. Infrared said it best...

Umm no, my first thought was "wow I guess really bad uniform design isn't as recent a phenomena as I thought it was."

The whole 90's NFL Europe, bleh...

franfurt_110503_WIDE.jpg

monarchs_110503_WIDE.jpg

I actually liked these because they were so outside the norm. They were intended to replicate soccer jerseys by being so loud. I was disappointed when they moved to boring templated uniforms. Especially when all the teams wore New England Patriots knockoffs. It proved that some ideas only look good on certain teams.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Wow, can't believe someone bothered to resurrect a topic from 2009.

If you look at the culprit, it wont surprise anybody...

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Archived