Photoshop v. Illustrator

quantum

IMO Adobe should just combine the two programs and get it over with.

They can't...they are NOTHING alike.

Its like combining Word and Excel. Sure you can do a spreadsheet in word, or type a letter in Excel...but it turns out horrible and doesn't really work at all....they are different programs for different purposes.

IMO Adobe should just combine the two programs and get it over with.

They can't...they are NOTHING alike.

Its like combining Word and Excel. Sure you can do a spreadsheet in word, or type a letter in Excel...but it turns out horrible and doesn't really work at all....they are different programs for different purposes.

yeah, sure, but apart from that, you know, they should...right?

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Adobe really could combine the two. There are things that Photoshop can do that Illustrator can't, and there are things Illustrator can do that Photoshop can't. But there are some things that both programs can do. Just combine them and you will get one program that does everything well.

Of course they won't do it. But it is feasible.

sounds like a bad commercial...

(soulpatch dude) hey, you got your raster in my vector

(long hair hippie dude) awww man, vectors on my raster, daaaaymnn

(clueless newbie college grad hottie) it's ok guys, i know Word. no problems!

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

(client) That's good, but can you rotate the car in that image so we can see the side?

Adobe really could combine the two. There are things that Photoshop can do that Illustrator can't, and there are things Illustrator can do that Photoshop can't. But there are some things that both programs can do. Just combine them and you will get one program that does everything well.

Have you used Illustrator before?

I don't see how it could happen. First off, you have the largest barrier of vector vs raster...those couldn't operate on the same art board.

I don't see how it could happen. First off, you have the largest barrier of vector vs raster...those couldn't operate on the same art board.

I have not had a lot of time with Illustrator (When I get back from Iraq it's going to be one of the first things I get) I understand that each program is made to do specific things, but these programs (especially in the case of Photoshop) are evolving to the point where eventually one could do just as much. Even right now, Photoshop is capable of creating vector art. Of course it is on a much smaller scale than that of Illustrator, but the article is right. Photoshop is borrowing more and more Illustrator tools with every release. Personally I think it would be great to have one program for all of my graphic design needs.

But like I said before, Adobe either will never do it, or they will attach an astronomical price tag to such a hybrid program like they have with their current set (Which is why Photoshop and Illustrator are two of the most pirated programs on the internet)

I love my Photoshop, but I still can't wait to get Illustrator and expand what I can do. It would just be nice if I could do it all from one program.

I love my Photoshop, but I still can't wait to get Illustrator and expand what I can do. It would just be nice if I could do it all from one program.

Once you get Illustrator and learn how to use it, you will realize that you won't even have a need to use Photoshop regarding logo design. I hardly ever use Photoshop unless I am editing or manipulating photos.

like CC above, i only use PSD for editing linked images. illy has a ton of raster effects that previously were only available (in the Adobe line) in photoshop. now the effects aren't always happy with some output devices, ie: RIPs and some imagesetters, but it's gotten really strong. i often work with raster images in my illy, w/o a hitch. it's supposed to. and to the converse... i will also use vectors in my PSDs as smart objects that can be edited and extracted back into illy. it's becoming more of a blurred platform, but that's the intent with the Creative Suite packaging.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

(client) That's good, but can you rotate the car in that image so we can see the side?

william I kid you not I had a client say almost exactly that to me. In reference to a logo we're doing for a new arena, client said "I wish there were an angle of the arena between the two...change the viewpoint so that it's not as low as the bottom ones & not as far to the right as the top ones..."

Yeah i'll just grab my magic 3D architecture tool and rerender the entire building from the angle you'd like...

OD_Signature.jpg

Now with the inclusion of 3D in Illustrator you can rotate that image, but you're going to have to build it that way first. I haven't played with the 3D yet. I do know of a teacher who use to do illustrations in Illustrator and now does them solely in 3D Max because of the option of rotating something and changing the lighting easily. I use both Illustrator and Photoshop to do layouts for web design and then when I'm editing the joomla templates, I use which ever is quicker. For me it's quicker to layout in Illustrator, because I know what tools will give me what I want in the fastest amount of time. Both are great programs that I presume most people only use a portion of. Can I see Adobe combining the two? I'm not sure. It's not that I don't think it's physically possible, I think it has more to do with the end users and what would happen if they did combine the two. I think Illustrator and Photoshop are like Mac and PC, Ford and Chevy, there are hard core users who will never use the other. Why can't you put the photo editing tools into Illustrator? If Illustrator can create the pixel based images out of vector, then why not add the photo editing tools and eliminate Photoshop. As I look at Illustrator, I think it's slowly with each version it seems to incorporate more and more Photoshop and become more powerful. I just don't know if Adobe wants to eliminate one or the other, I don't know if business wise if it makes sense at all as far as bringing in new users. The only people Adobe cares about are the 5% of new users and the 5% of high-end users who are constantly bombarding them with "Change this" or "Add this", the rest of us (the 90%), don't really matter as more than people who purchase the product and put money into their pocket. At least those who have purchased the products.

william I kid you not I had a client say almost exactly that to me. In reference to a logo we're doing for a new arena, client said "I wish there were an angle of the arena between the two...change the viewpoint so that it's not as low as the bottom ones & not as far to the right as the top ones..."

Yeah i'll just grab my magic 3D architecture tool and rerender the entire building from the angle you'd like...

Yeah I was doing a website recently where the guy wanted a real ball spinning on an it's axis, like a globe. He gave me one static image of a ball to work from. Cheers...

Story from work:

Customers come in to sit with artist for display advertising. Business is exotic entertainment (stripper and boss). Client hands artist photo of a couple of performers facing the camera. Other client (guess which one) asks "can you turn the picture around so you can see the back of their heads?"

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Story from work:

Customers come in to sit with artist for display advertising. Business is exotic entertainment (stripper and boss). Client hands artist photo of a couple of performers facing the camera. Other client (guess which one) asks "can you turn the picture around so you can see the back of their heads?"

In theory you could just trace the outlines and make it a silhouette and then it is the back of their heads...

:P

Archived