European Soccer 2009-10

heernumurr

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As an Arsenal fan, I'm very disappointed in this off-season. Not only has Wenger spent no money (if he even has money to spend), but he has also let Adebayor and Toure jump to the ManCity boat....

The only thing that can salvage this train wreck is if Wenger loosens up his tight pockets and tries to snatch David Villa away from Valencia... hopefully our friendly against them will be more than just a friendly....

I hear ya, when you lose several players, even if they didn't want to be on the squad, and only gain Vermaelen (sp), it spells doom. Rosicky looked great in the friendlies, and yet he'll be out for 6 weeks (shocker!!!). The Gunners really, really need a DMF to pair up with Cesc, and the centre backs are lookin' pretty shallow, Sylvestre and Song got torn up against Rangers. I love Wenger for his youth buys, but sooner or later you need to break the bank on a big name guy. All these rumored guys that would be coming to Arsenal have just gotten my hopes up, only to see Arsene not buy them.

I predict Chelsea will win the EPL, they freakin' dominated in that tournament with the two Milan teams and Club America.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

League 1 Promotions- Colchester, Charlton Athletic and (via the playoffs, even despite a 10 point penalty) Southampton

I reckon you and Leeds will keep each other company for a couple of seasons at least. :P

Ha ha I do think Leeds have got a bit used to being a league 1 side. Its the kind of division you want out of as quickly as possible. Hopefully our stay will only be a couple of seasons at the very most.

Arsenal fans don't despair too much. 3 reasons to be optimistic. Vermaelen looks a decent centre back, better than Toure IMO. (Man City's big problems will be in defence all year). 2 the team was immeasurably improved last year by Arshavin when he came in. 3 and Thomas Rosicky coming back to fitness is almost like a new signing.

That being said, the reason I went for Liverpool in the end is that I think they have lost least through the summer. (Although Chelsea do look strong, and Manchester United will always be strong with Fergie behind the reins). Manchester City are the X factor this year. Not so much because they could win the league IMO, but because they will take points off the top teams, especially at the City of Manchester Stadium.

I think Spurs have very quietly improved all summer, I'd like there chances better with a stronger midfield, but I think they will have a strong season. Man City will be inconsistent, some great wins and cringing defeats. Everton haven't improved in the way teams at there level have, Villa haven't made immediate improvement but have signed some good talent. Blackburn have Sam Allardyce's proven skills at the helm and will be fit and strong enough to do well. At the bottom, I think Portsmouth and Hull may well lose touch pretty quickly, and the final relegation spot will be a scrap between Wolves, Burnley, Bolton and Wigan.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Ha ha I do think Leeds have got a bit used to being a league 1 side. Its the kind of division you want out of as quickly as possible. Hopefully our stay will only be a couple of seasons at the very most.

Hopefully you won't find yourselves in the same position as Leeds did two seasons ago. I'm not as familiar with Southampton's squad, but Leeds had a team that dominated League 1 in that first year, and the only reason they weren't promoted was the point deduction.

Arsenal fans don't despair too much. 3 reasons to be optimistic. Vermaelen looks a decent centre back, better than Toure IMO. (Man City's big problems will be in defence all year). 2 the team was immeasurably improved last year by Arshavin when he came in. 3 and Thomas Rosicky coming back to fitness is almost like a new signing.

Eduardo's back too, finally fully recovered from the Theisman-esque injury he suffered a couple seasons ago.

At least we Gooners won't have long to wait to find out how our side stacks up in the Premiership. Arsenal's August schedule includes fixtures at Everton and at Old Trafford.

CCSLC signature.png

Well let's see what my Gunners can do.

Wenger knows its time to deliver. He's putting in a lot of faith that his young players have taken the next step...Wilshere, Ramsey, Walcott, Djourou, #52 Bendtner, Song, Denilson, Diaby. Let's hope these guys can step up their game, and that the injuries to Nasri, Rosicky, and others aren't all that bad.

Possible lineup for tommorow?

Sagna - Varmaelan - Gallas - Clichy

Song

Fabregas Ramsey??

Walcott Van Persie Arshavin

This is currently on the Soccernet Homepage.

nf47er.jpg

The US Soccernet mind you!

Saw it on ESPNews as well. [Paul Wall]It's got da internet goin nuts[/Paul Wall]. I know I'm gonna try my best to get up bright and early to see a live EPL game on ESPN. Good to see something that I falsely reported a few months ago on here actually happen. :P Pretty historic day for soccer in the US. Too bad Altidore still has to get some loose ends tied up before he can play, so he'll miss this. :(

With that said...Villa dodged a Big 4 & Man City bullet when it comes to Matchday 1 scheduling, against a Wigan side that has a new manager and lost arguably their 2 best players from last season. It should be a win, but Villa can't seen to beat Wigan at home. Hopefully that changes tomorrow morning.

On another note, I guess it'll be interesting to see how Man City does in their first game. Let's see what all that spending gets them off the bat.

I would love to watch a Premier League game on ESPN, unfortunately 6:45 CT is too late for me to even see the start. I might just need to tape it. And I'm looking forward to Sunday more than tomorrow to see if Tottenham can get off to a good start against Liverpool.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Smart move on FOX's part by putting Arsenal v Celtic on FSN (which pretty much everybody has), compared to putting it on FSC (which doesn't have nearly as many people with that channel). I'll definitely be tuning in for that one.

Chelsea win the opener 2-1 over Hull with Drogba scoring the game winner in stoppage time on basically a cross that ended up knuckling its way into the net. Even though Chelsea deserved the win since they dominated the entire game, it really would've been cool to see Hull at least pick up a point against the Blues. Pretty good game, I'm guessing that ESPN couldn't have asked for a better 1st game to kick off their coverage of the EPL.

heres some of the other matches on the espn2 schedule from Soccer Insider:

Aug. 22: Wigan vs. Manchester United ESPN2

Aug. 24: Liverpool vs. Aston Villa ESPN2

Aug. 29: Chelsea vs. Burnley ESPN2

Sept. 12: Liverpool vs. Burnley ESPN2

Sept. 19: Burnley vs. Sunderland ESPN2

Sept. 26: Portsmouth vs. Everton ESPN2

Sept. 28: Manchester City vs. West Ham ESPN2

first thing that jumps out at me, lots of Burnley

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

heres some of the other matches on the espn2 schedule from Soccer Insider:

Aug. 22: Wigan vs. Manchester United ESPN2

Aug. 24: Liverpool vs. Aston Villa ESPN2

Aug. 29: Chelsea vs. Burnley ESPN2

Sept. 12: Liverpool vs. Burnley ESPN2

Sept. 19: Burnley vs. Sunderland ESPN2

Sept. 26: Portsmouth vs. Everton ESPN2

Sept. 28: Manchester City vs. West Ham ESPN2

first thing that jumps out at me, lots of Burnley

I think ESPN is getting the games that FSC is passing on as FSC has the main US rights.

Really? I'm pretty sure that ESPN just bought a certain time-slot. They're always going to have the Saturday 7:45 am game, and same with the Monday 3:00 pm game. Not sure if FSC can pick and choose when it comes to games slotted in those time periods.

Also, Aston Villa lost 2-0 to Wigan today...the main Villa blog site that I frequent had a headline of "Same ol Aston Villa." Considering I've heard "Same ol _______" for basically every team that I pull for stateside, me and Villa are a match made in heaven. :P

Directv sucks because my guide showed Bassmasters and other crap for the Chelsea-Hull match this morning,so i couldnt DVR it...

so i woke up and watched the end of Hamburg's demolition of Dortmund on GOL instead :)

anyways,what happened to Villa,i figured they would do a little better against Wigan?

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

Everton are currently getting annihilated 5-0 by Arsenal.

Either the baby Gunners have grown up, or Everton just had a worse case of malaise than Villa did against Wigan.

Archived