European Soccer 2009-10

heernumurr

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 Games against the big 4 for Villa, 6 points. Wonderful :grin:

Villa's for real this season. They've proven that they can hang with the big boys of the EPL, & on top of that, they finally took care of business at home. I figure that if Villa's going to make a serious run at a possible Top 4 finish, they're going to have to start winning at home, something that they didn't do last season. However, if they can keep this up (& keep exploiting teams' weaknesses, specifically Chelsea on set pieces), I've got no doubts that Villa will definitely be in contention for a UCL spot by season's end.

So yeah, I'm ecstatic. The top team in the league came to Villa Park & Villa came away with all of the points. Fantastic result. :D

The regular Saintsfan update will be up later in the day, just wanted to post the news that former NE Revolution assistant coach is returning to English football, as coach of Plymouth Argyle, helping out there manager Paul Sturrock.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/plymouth_argyle/8313076.stm

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

2 Games against the big 4 for Villa, 6 points. Wonderful :grin:

Villa's for real this season. They've proven that they can hang with the big boys of the EPL, & on top of that, they finally took care of business at home. I figure that if Villa's going to make a serious run at a possible Top 4 finish, they're going to have to start winning at home, something that they didn't do last season. However, if they can keep this up (& keep exploiting teams' weaknesses, specifically Chelsea on set pieces), I've got no doubts that Villa will definitely be in contention for a UCL spot by season's end.

So yeah, I'm ecstatic. The top team in the league came to Villa Park & Villa came away with all of the points. Fantastic result. :D

And Downing hasn't even played yet! I'm very excited to see what happens this season.

Liverpool-ballOWN3D.jpg

BallOWN3D!

I'm assuming these won't be available much longer.

So the Reds gave up a goal off a beach ball bearing their own crest. I wonder, does that count as an own-goal?

Ha ha! Technically it shouldn't have counted as a goal at all. The game should have been stopped and restarted with a drop ball, as the ball had hit a 'foreign object'. But its just soooo funny!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

*****Saintsfans weekly EPL Roundup*****

Best performance of the week- Sunderland winning over Liverpool. Never mind the legality of the goal, and the absense of Gerrard and Torres, thats a sterling performance from a decent looking team.

Worst management complaint- Mark Hughes laying into Alan Wylie, after City drew with Wigan. Just hate it when managers blame a poor result on officials rather than maybe less than a good team performance.

Managers on the hotseat- Gianfranco Zola at West Ham is going through some tough times at the moment.

Am gonna hold off on my power rankings for a week to get more of a sense of post international break form for the ratings.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Ligue 1 Week 9 Wrap-up

Auxerre 1-0 Bordeaux

Les Girondins lose their second in a row, after going unbeaten in 22 matches

Le Mans 1-1 Boulonge

Fabien Robert ties the match in injury time for Boulonge, and the teams split the points

Lyon 0-2 Sochaux

L'OL lose their first match in any competition this year, and Sochaux pick up an emotional 3 points in their first match without Charlie Davies

Montpellier 2-1 Saint-Etienne

2 second half goals for Montpellier lift them over a 10-man Sainté

Nancy 0-3 Marseille

L'OM smash Nancy away from home, in a game that included 2 goals in 2 minutes

Valenciennes 2-0 Grenoble

Poor Grenoble is still pointless after dropping all 3 points on the road at Valenciennes

Lille 0-0 Rennes

These 2 northern clubs play to a goalless snoozer

Lorient 4-1 Nice

The Bretons roll over 10-man nice, with 3 goals in the second half

Monaco 2-0 Lens

Nene tallied twice for the Principality, and they take all the points against Le sang et or

Toulouse 1-0 PSG

Albin Ebondo scores his first of the year, and PSG's league winless streak stretches to 5

Even with the loss, Lyon remain in first with 20 points, but have company as Montpellier are also on 20 points. Bordeaux's loss keeps them on 19 points and in 3rd place. Grenoble bring up the rear like always, with 0 points from 9 games. Nice, Lens and Le Mans all have 8 points and are level for the final 2 relegation spots.

1zqy8ok.gif

Straaaange day in the Champion's League

Scousers lose at home to Lyon

Barca lose at home to Rubin Kazan

Rangers lose 4-1 AT HOME to an STD

Inter draw at home with Dynamo Kiev

the only home team to win was Olympiacos who needed and injury time winner

Boy are Liverpool in trouble at the moment. They really are in a hole at the moment, all but out of the premiership race already, really struggling in the Champions League. At this rate they will be hoping for a domestic cup win in England. Small beans indeed for a big 4 team.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

L'Olympique Lyonnais Lalalalalala L'Olympique Lyonnais Lalalalalala

Yes.... and Lyon didn't need a beach ball. But, the real upset was Barca losing at home to Rubin Kazan. Also pleased with Dynamo Kyiv drawing Inter.

I saw, I came, I left.

Tonights champions League results see a big win for Chelsea over Athletico Madrid, AC Milan beat Real Madrid 3-2, Marseille end a good week for the French, as Bordeaux beat Bayern Munich as well. Juventus win and Manchester United go to CSKA Moscow and win.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

****Saintsfans EPL weekly round up******

Best performance of the week- A little bit of competition this week, but struggling West Ham United coming from behind to draw with Arsenal takes the award this week, beating out Chelsea hammering Blackburn and Stoke getting a good away win at high flying Spurs.

Copycat performances of the week- 4 games in the EPL on Sunday. In all 4 games one team went 2-0 ahead. Only Liverpool held onto that lead (against former league leaders Man United), As Fulham, Everton and West ham all fought back to 2-2. Everton failed to read the script and conceded a late winner for Bolton. But Fulham and West Ham held on.

Manager on the hot seat- Hull City's Phil Brown seems the most precarious to me, an awful performance at home against fellow strugglers P :censored: h, in a 0-0 draw. After a great start to last season, Hull really ave seemed to go backwards pretty quickly.

****Saintsfan's Power rankings****

1 Chelsea

2 Manchester United

3 Arsenal

4 Manchester City

5 Liverpool

Bottom 5

20 P :censored: h

19 Hull City

18 Blackburn Rovers

17 Birmingham City

16 West Ham United

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Ligue 1 Matchday 10 Wrap-up

Bordeaux 3-0 Le Mans

Two second half goals allow Bordeaux to roll, and get their first win in 3 weeks

Boulonge 1-3 Monaco

2 late goals by Nene boost Monaco past 10-man Boulonge

Grenoble 1-2 Nancy

The closest Grenoble has gotten to that illusive point; as they give up an 89th minute penalty to Youssouf Hadji

Nice 4-1 Lyon

Lyon are brought back to earth after their Champions league win, only an Ederson strike kept David Ospina from a clean sheet

Saint-Etienne 0-2 Valenciennes

The disappointing season for Sainté contines, and they give up an early and late strike to lose again

Sochaux 1-0 Lorient

An 8th minute strike by Damien Perquis is enough for Sochaux, and they hold on for the 3 points

Rennes 3-0 Montpellier

Could Montpellier's dream season be coming back down to earth? They drop only their second match of the season

Auxerre 3-2 Lille

This shootout had 3 different lead changes, ended with Daniel Niculae's 82nd minute goal to give Auxerre full points

Lens 0-2 Toulouse

It doesn't seem like Lens want to stay in Ligue 1, another uninspired showing and they drop all points to TFC

Marseille P-P PSG

This game has been postponed after 3 PSG players were diagnosed with H1N1 flu. The postponment didn't sit well with some fans, and violence broke out between the two sets of supporters throughout the city.

So after 9.9 matchdays, Bordeaux is once again top of the table with 22 points from 10 matches. Monaco's win, coupled with losses by Lyon and Montpellier move the principality up to 2nd with 21 points. Lyon and Montpellier are level on 20 points for 3rd spot. Grenoble is still pointless, and obviously in last place. Le Mans and Lens occupy the final 2 drop spots, they both are on 8 points

1zqy8ok.gif

Brad Guzan was epic today for Villa today in the Carling Cup. He made a penalty save on Kenwyne Jones during the game, and THREE in the shootout to put us through to the quarters!

Okay, a score to report.

From the Round of 32 in the Copa Del Rey, first leg...

AD Alcorcón 4:0 Real Madrid C.F.

I mean, this would be like if the Indianapolis Colts were beaten by three touchdowns by

They do this every year in the Copa del Ray, I was suprised by the score, but not by the game.

I don't think that Real Madrid cares about the Copa Del Rey at this point. For them, it's one of those things where if they win it, great. If they don't, oh well, who do they face next in Champions League? So with that being said, Real probably sent out their bench players (but not the B team since they actually play in the 2nd division of Spain) for this one & whichever starters they felt needed some playing time. So yeah, like Cap said, not surprised to hear that Real Madrid got bounced out of the Copa Del Rey, but definitely a surprise to hear it was by 4-0. That's kinda bad.

Also, Lil' Brad is the :censored:ing man. 4 penalty saves is EPIC.

Archived